My Overland Trailer Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year I purchase a Morris Mule knock-off here in TX. It was one of only 2 remaining after production was ceased. The primary difference is in the suspension as mine runs the Timbren Axle-less suspension. After much research and discussions with Timbren, my axles are a unique "hybrid" version whose axles are for 3600lbs, but have the 2200lb rated springs. They are the 4" lift as well which provides a TON of ground clearance. I replaced the bearings with genuine Timken bearings and chose to use the Green Grease (which has been excellent). Since the hub spacing was for the Jeep pattern, I added 1 inch adapters for my 5x150 110 bore 100 Series pattern. This allows me to run the same size wheel/tire combination as my tow rig (1998 LX470).

I added the Harbor Freight tongue box. In that box, I run a NAPA Legend75 Series 49 battery (same as on my LX) along with a 600w inverter and I use the Harbor Freight Thunderbolt 100w solar setup with MPPT controller. It's a pretty basic setup, but meets my needs perfectly.

I added some heavy duty mudflaps to help mitigate rock throwing. I've since added a "skirt" across the lower front of the trailer to protect the underside and suspension for gravel being thrown back by my LXs tires. I also added the Lock N Roll hitch which is fantastic.....MUCH better than the traditional tow ball that the trailer came equipped with.

The tent is a Smittybilt Overlander XL (deploys to the port side) with annex and the awnings are the 8 foot ARB with Awning Room on the starboard side and the Ironman 6 foot awning off the back.

The problem I faced with the "rack" was that it was a "static height. There was zero vertical adjustment. I need the tent to be higher in order to properly deploy the annex room, but I needed/wanted it to be lower for transport (lower center of gravity on the trails and less wind resistance on the highway) and to get in my garage. So, I purchase 4 drop-leg jacks. I welded on the swivel mounts to the four corners of the trailer. I then welded on "tabs" to the vertical bars of the tent rack. When inverted, the drop leg jacks can be cranked to lift the tent up about 16". I then insert 2 Grade8 bolts into each vertical bar to secure the rack. The drop leg jacks then swivel 180 degrees into the downward facing position and I "level" from there. This provides and incredibly stable tent/trailer platform. Generally (doing it solo) only take 5 minutes to get the tent rack up to it's deployed height and then setup the height of the trailer at the four corners. I have linear actuators, but never got around to installing them yet.

I have plans to add onboard water and propane, but haven't tackled that project yet. The first year was just mainly "using" the trailer and discovering what my actual needs truly are.

I've now towed the trailer to CO twice (1800 mile round trips) and towed it over Medano, Marshall, Los Pinos, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane and Engineer passes. It handles rough gravel exceptionally well and goes anywhere my LX can go. I've taken it to Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park as well.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the little trailer. Over 7000 trouble free miles over the past 12 months (knocks on wood)

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

8AEE9848-9E77-43C8-AB1D-D439FE71235A.jpeg

F7EDBBA1-7DD8-49E1-8B79-C502B7E41F00.jpeg

BF4DBBCF-C079-4369-B0D6-BBCA79F993D3.jpeg

Last edited:
More pics

02C4691C-1113-479E-A43F-C324C750DA86.jpeg

C7D16614-8471-45BE-92D4-84EA98355CB0.jpeg

41BDCDA9-A09B-404A-99F8-770FAD8131B0.jpeg

0949493C-BF1D-45F7-818D-68915C33B729.jpeg

F81452CA-AA5E-4F5A-8471-3DE089137E0F.jpeg

That is sweet! It is precisely what I have been looking for. Your pictures and description are so good I am going to show to the wife and kick up the begging and pleading for a trailer a notch. How many do you sleep in the tent?

That is sweet! It is precisely what I have been looking for. Your pictures and description are so good I am going to show to the wife and kick up the begging and pleading for a trailer a notch. How many do you sleep in the tent?

Thanks. Generally it's just me in the tent. My wife will go with me on some trips and the two of us have PLENTY of room up there. She's the reason I got the XL tent as the ladder is contained within the annex room (the regular Smittybilt has the ladder on the outside). That was a HUGE thing for her. Turned out nice for me as well. My pup has his kennel setup in the annex room and my chair, small table and duffel stay down there. Really nice to be able to change clothes, etc. in the privacy of the annex. You could easily fit 2 cots in the annex as well (for families with kiddos). The tent is the same dimensions as a queen size mattress, just a little longer.

The Awning on the other side deploys with it's own annex as an 8x8x7 room. My dad camps in that when he goes. He sets up a cot, chair and table and has plenty of room left over.

The first time we took the setup to Colorado (above Salida), my father and I experienced a massive storm. 40mph winds with gusts to 55mph and torrential rain (3"). The setup remained very stable despite the conditions and nothing leaked at all. Was nice to be able to sit in the annex room and read a book before bed and then climb up the ladder to go to bed...all without being exposed to the elements.

I don't always setup the annex though. Sometimes, when it's just me, I simply deploy the tent and call it a day.

Great write up and review. Thanks for Sharing @geanes

Great write up and review. Thanks for Sharing @geanes

Thanks! I've got some more little projects I'm going to start on it before the summer camping season. I want to put a bedliner coating on the front of the tongue basket and the tongue box as well as the underside. I'm going to mount the 5lb propane tank to the port side aft of the wheel arches. The tailgate folds flat and I use that for the kitchen setup (just a simple Coleman camp grill and collapsible wash basin) so the line from the propane tank won't have to go far at all. I'm going to weld in a "basket tray" to the upper cross bars (under the tent) so that I can store my camp table up there along with other "soft" products like my hammock and camp chairs...out of the way and secured. I'm going to also weld up a small rack to the starboard side of the tent to mount a solar panel.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the awning is mounted to "slide" brackets I fabbed up. I just used 1" square bar stock. It slides into the tent rack and secures with 2 quick release pins for the front and rear. That way, I can slide the packed up awning right against the rack for travel, but slide the awning out 12" when camped so that the annex room back wall clears the fenders of the trailer (don't want it to rub holes in the $300 annex room after all).

The reason I chose to run the same battery in the trailer as on my LX is for redundancy. Since I don't run a dual battery setup in the rig, I figured if worse came to worse and my starter battery was inoperable, I could simply scavenge the identical battery from the trailer. This was the same reason I elected to outfit the trailer with the same size wheel/tire combo as the rig. I effectively have up to 4 spare tires as well as the repair kit. Probably overkill, but when I'm way off-grid solo, you can't be too careful.

I just went from a utility to a hardside trailer and looking at yours makes me miss my old setup. You mentioned that your kitchen is the tailgate of the trailer. Is it covered? Also how long does setup & packup for you take? I'm impressed with your Colorado storm experience. That says a lot for both tent & room plus awning/annex. Well thought out setup you have! 👍

I just went from a utility to a hardside trailer and looking at yours makes me miss my old setup. You mentioned that your kitchen is the tailgate of the trailer. Is it covered? Also how long does setup & packup for you take? I'm impressed with your Colorado storm experience. That says a lot for both tent & room plus awning/annex. Well thought out setup you have! 👍

Thanks! My budget necessitated some of the decisions. I had been looking at Hiker Trailers and even Turtlebacks. But, beyond the price, they just didn't address the needs I had.

I have a 6 foot awning on the back that extends out 6 foot wide and 8 feet out to cover that area. I just set the Coleman grill down on the tailgate. The tent "overhangs" a few inches so there is added coverage from that. That 6 foot IronMan awning has a "wall" on the end as well that zips in and then stakes to the ground (pic below).

If I'm doing a full setup (tent/annex, side awning/annex, rear awning, setting up solar panels, etc.), it takes about 30 minutes total solo (I wouldn't setup the awning annex if I were solo though and rarely deploy the side awning when solo). That includes raising the rack to height and then flipping the trailer jacks and setting them for level. The drop-leg helps tremendously as I just pull a pin, drop the inner leg, reinsert the pin and then use the crank to fine tune. If I'm with someone (as I am most of the time), they usually setup the sideawning/annex on their own as well as plugging in the solar and setting out the panels which makes the setup time no more than about 20 minutes total. I don't use tent stakes at all. I use long "screws" that I drill in with my Ryobi 18v drill. I have screws for soil and longer/wider screws for sand.

Packup time is roughly the same.

Here's a pic of the awning XTRA from IronMan that I use on my 6 foot IronMan awning. I never snapped a pic of mine when deployed....will do so when I do my next trip though.

1590088959793.png

These are the "screws" I use as tent stakes: Amazon product ASIN B07R6S12DC

Thanks for the link! I would like those screws for dirt, I'll probably order that kit. Currently, I've been using a dog tether for sand, but they're a pain in rocky soil. Those screws would work better. Using a portable drill is a great idea!

Here's a pic of the dog tether I use. They're available at any pet store or pet section in a dept store. About $3 a piece. I've collected about 8 over the years.
IMG_0414a.JPG

If you like to bbq on the trail you really need to take a look at one of these Magma BBQ's. They're not inexpensive, but they are very well built. We've hauled ours around for about 30k miles so far. Other than heat discoloration you can't tell it from new. I added a propane port to the rear of our last camper and bolted a short section of 1" SS tube to mount it on. Can see both in this pic:
i-p5xzWs6-L.jpg

I just bought 10 of these at my local hardware store for $0.79 each. They do not have the glow in the dark thingies, but if I loose or bend one I'm not out a lot.
AND, I recently bought some of this "550 Cord" so the glow in the dark part is covered once I covert all of the guy lines. Years ago I needed some guy line tensioners for a tent that lost those supplied with it to ice and when I found what I wanted (like these only not red and made of steel) they were so ridiculously inexpensive that I bought 100 of them and still didn't exceed the shipping cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom