my "new" hardtop 1962 FJ25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. After years of Suzukis with toyota drivetrain, I were looking for an FJ body to swap a 3UR engine and 80 series axels. But, durin the search, I found this 1962 FJ25.
It has just one owner from 1962 to 2014, factory paint, all emblems, oem glass but the windshield, etc etc.
The bad things are fixings done at country side style, but sheetmetal is still great in most the areas.

So, the current idea is to restore it. To do so, I need to rebuilt the raising windows mechanism, taillights, oem switches, etc etc etc.

well, here are some pics....

2016-08-22 18.56.14 (800x450).jpg

2016-08-23 09.52.35 (800x600).jpg

2016-08-23 09.52.44 HDR (800x600).jpg

2016-09-03 19.28.44 (800x600).jpg

2016-09-03 19.28.54 (800x600).jpg

Hi guys. After years of Suzukis with toyota drivetrain, I were looking for an FJ body to swap a 3UR engine and 80 series axels. But, durin the search, I found this 1962 FJ25.
It has just one owner from 1962 to 2014, factory paint, all emblems, oem glass but the windshield, etc etc.
The bad things are fixings done at country side style, but sheetmetal is still great in most the areas.

So, the current idea is to restore it. To do so, I need to rebuilt the raising windows mechanism, taillights, oem switches, etc etc etc.

well, here are some pics....

2016-09-03 19.30.06 (600x800).jpg

2016-09-03 19.30.25 (800x600).jpg

2016-09-03 19.30.29 (800x600).jpg

2016-09-03 19.31.01 (800x600).jpg

2016-09-03 19.31.08 (600x800).jpg

Congrats mate, looks awesome. BTW your are the second one to come up with a 1962 registered FJ25 in all these years, wow I got a member in my own exclusive club:clap:. Whats the VIN number?

Not really, I recently own it. I am 3rd owner.

Its a FJ25L

Frame number is 0-FJ25-21906

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-01 at 11.03.45.jpeg

Thank you for posting the photos.

That has to be one of the nicest original condition 25s in existence. Why would you restore it?

You really think so?

WOW ;) That looks like a full floating rear axle with centered diff, If it is original Toyota then surely you got something very unique there. I am sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in soon and will share more info on that. Congrats mate and yes think twice before you go restoration route, it looks great as is.

2016-09-03-19-28-54-800x600-jpg.1316839

Last edited:
You really think so?

Definitely. Consider it all together: originality, completeness, lack of modifications and overall condition. If we look at the paint and drivetrain as an indication of originality and the presence of most of its parts and pieces as an indication of completeness, combine the (apparent) lack of previous owner modifications with its overall straight condition (lack of visible abuse and evidence of care) then we have the basis for the subjective determination of "niceness." Surely yours has to be in the discussion of among the "nicest " original examples of a FJ25 around---as used and as imperfect as it is---no?

You just don't see that level of niceness in a cruiser that old very often.

How many originals do you think still survive in that condition? It's special the way it is. Restored it is . . well . . . just another restored cruiser.

Definitely. Consider it all together: originality, completeness, lack of modifications and overall condition. If we look at the paint and drivetrain as an indication of originality and the presence of most of its parts and pieces as an indication of completeness, combine the (apparent) lack of previous owner modifications with its overall straight condition (lack of visible abuse and evidence of care) then we have the basis for the subjective determination of "niceness." Surely yours has to be in the discussion of among the "nicest " original examples of a FJ25 around---as used and as imperfect as it is---no?

You just don't see that level of niceness in a cruiser that old very often.

How many originals do you think still survive in that condition? It's special the way it is. Restored it is . . well . . . just another restored cruiser.

Thats great to know it!

here are some extra pictures before clean it...

DSC03141 (800x450).jpg

DSC03146 (800x450).jpg

DSC03149 (800x450).jpg

DSC03151 (800x450).jpg

DSC03152 (800x450).jpg

What would be the rough price of a FJ25 like this in the states?

Saw your question and thought I'd respond here instead of "cluttering" the other thread.

Unfortunately there is no set "rough" price because so few examples like yours exist to compare. Unlike the '76-'83 FJ40 market in which at any given time numerous examples in various conditions exist for sale constantly and people constantly want them, the '58-'62 or so market is almost non-existent. Sure, the really old ones pop up for sale from time to time, but they are typically in rough shape, missing a lot of parts, greatly modified, don't run, etc., etc.

It's kind of circular problem: There is not a big market because there are not a lot early cruisers for sale. So how do you price them?

Clearly the great selling points of your cruiser, should you decide to sell, are its originality, relative completeness (it is missing a few things) and overall good condition. That it runs and is apparently road worthy doesn't hurt either. Getting a U.S. buyer to complete the purchase while the cruiser is still in Chile, however, could be a challenge.

Ultimately you'll have to just advertise everywhere and often if getting top dollar is your goal. Try eBay with a high reserve to gauge interest and bid amounts. Not sure what they would give you for it, but the FJ Company in Columbia might be interested, although it would almost certainly be restored and resold by them for $75K or more. For the exposure, and amusement, you could also start a "what is it worth thread" in either the 40-55 "tech" section or the FJ40 vehicle for sale section here on the forum. The FJ25 classified section doesn't get much traffic, and frankly, I doubt anyone here would give you top dollar. Although I am always willing to be wrong.

I am thinking that the "right buyer," someone who has been wanting an "original" example FJ25 and understands how rare yours is would pay in the neighborhood of $20K, maybe?

You will want to confirm with photos that it does have its original engine block, and somehow prove that the paint is original. Maybe shine the whole thing up too!

All the best.

I agree; don't restore it. It's a sweetheart just like it sits.

And,

If you bring it to the US to sell, I'd be an interested buyer.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom