Builds My New BJ70. :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am the proud new owner of a crusty 1985 BJ70. Everything works except for the fuel gauge and the oil pressure. I will be jabbing up some of my own body panels but need to find other sources for new body panels to weld. Ive found a couple in Europe. They seem to only carry the rear lower quarter panels from the rear of the door to the back of the truck that cover the wheel wells. I need inner/outer rockers, some flooring next to the rockers. Its pretty much the same rust as an FJ55. If I can find these body panels and flooring I won't need to fab up those parts. I did look at the thread listing companies with parts. Some went to a dead link, didn't carry 70 series sheet metal, or they stopped carrying them. Frames a bit patched up so I will need to cut and weld in new metal. There is one thing bothering me. As you drive down the road there is a big thunk coming from the rear. Similar to during winter below zero F your wheels get that flat spot and thunk as you drive down the road until the even out. This one is not constant. It comes and goes. Thoughts?

Nice, lets see some pictures of this rig.

Does it go away with braking? Thunk on acceleration or just constant coming and going?

When you get up to about 30mph it does that thunk and then goes away for a while. Ive not check to see if it goes away during braking but will tomorrow. It reminds me of winter time when your tires freeze and get that flat spot and the thunking as you drive down the street. But its not a constant thunk. I will try and record the sound tomorrow.

Btw... what parts from other cruiser axles fit the ones from the 70? Sorry my knowledge on the 70 series is very limited. Can I convert it over to the 80 series E-locker?

IMG_2003.jpeg

I bought repair panels from Joekatana here on MUD.

I have intermittent Thunks. I believe it is slop in the polyurethane spring bushings. Definitely related to steering and changes in terrain.

My thunk is in the rear. I think it might be the third member in the rear axle. It has a complete brand new HD OME lift. I mean it still has plastic from the wrapping on the leaf springs. The PO didn’t add a bull bar nor anything else to weigh down the truck so it does some bouncing around too. It’s pretty civil with the bouncing. I mean it’s not like all over the place. I will better access the problem today.

The 80 series front is smaller, but the rear 3rd is the same on your 70.

As for the locker, it's the same thing, you would need the longer splines on the one side.

So then you can convert the 70 rear axle to the 80 E-locker using the 80 series rear third member?
Where do you get the longer splined axle?

Alright, just looked at your picture again. You have a semi-float rear axle so it's not going to work to use the E-locker from an 80 series.

best bet would be to ARB it and rebuild.
Or find any other J60/J70/J80 non-Elocked 3rd....
Or swap full axle.

So a bit of an update. The 70 has become my daily driver. That slapping sound happens to be two body mounts gone south. Just another thing to add to the list to fix.

Ive decided to fab up rockers and floors. That will be my first task. Ive already begun collecting everything needed.

This is now going to be my winter project. As soon as I get my current project out of the garage this will be going in and the body taken from the frame.

Last edited:
So a bit of an update. The 70 has become my daily driver. That slapping sound happens to be two body mounts gone south. Just another thing to add to the list to fix.

Ive decided to fab up rockers and floors. That will be my first task. Ive already begun collecting everything needed.

This is now going to be my winter project. As soon as I get my current project out of the garage this will be going in and the body taken from the frame.

I also took the plunge and I'm daily driving my new BJ74 in LA! Hoping the decision doesn't bite me in the ass, but since I don't have a big commute it was worth the gamble, I definitely enjoy my mornings more now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom