My LC 200 is stuck in "4LO"!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello every one,
My cruiser (4.7, V6) has been parked for ~45 days while I was away, now that my people were getting it ready for my return, I'm told that the "4LO" light is blinking and the vehicle is driving funny!
I'm not back yet and would really like to have it working by that time, is there an easy fix to this issue other than what I got from the manual "n If the low speed four-wheel drive indicator light or the center differential
lock indicator light blinks​
l​
If the low speed four-wheel drive indicator light continues to blink when
using the four-wheel drive control switch, stop the vehicle completely,
move the shift lever to “N” and operate the switch again.

l​
If the shift lever is moved before the low speed four-wheel drive indicator
light has turned on/off, a beep sounds and the transfer position may not
successfully change. In this case, stop the vehicle completely, return the
shift lever to “N” and operate the switch again.

l​
If the engine coolant temperature is too low, the four-wheel drive control
system may not be able to shift. When the engine is warmer press the
switch again.
If the low speed four-wheel drive indicator light or the center differential lock
indicator light continues to blink even after attempting the above, there may
be a malfunction in the engine, the brake system or the four-wheel drive system.
In this case, you may not be able to shift between “H4” and “L4”, and
the center differential lock may not be operable. Have the vehicle inspected

by your Toyota dealer immediately.
"

Any help would be appreciated.
MD.

Sorry if this "people" has offended you, can you help or not?

No offense at all...I think it's great! Good on you.

As far as the 4lo issue goes, the best is to have someone follow the manual. This happened to me once, I engaged 4Lo for a ride, and couldn't get it off. Going through the sequence of turning it on and off a few times seemed to work. Also, it needs to be driven to dis-engage. Hope it helps.

No offense at all...I think it's great! Good on you.

As far as the 4lo issue goes, the best is to have someone follow the manual. This happened to me once, I engaged 4Lo for a ride, and couldn't get it off. Going through the sequence of turning it on and off a few times seemed to work. Also, it needs to be driven to dis-engage. Hope it helps.

Yeah, follow the directions and you should be able to get it unstuck. Chimyz is right though, it may take moving to get it to release.

Also, cold temperature can do this as well. I don't know if this is a factor...

Why was it left in 4LO? It's an electric solenoid that should probably stay in 4HI when not in use.

Many thanks gentlemen,

Initially, I asked someone to take the cruiser for a regular service (oil, filter...change), then –I’m told- it was parked without interference!

Now that I experienced it for myself, this is what is happening;

The vehicle acts as though it is in the 2nd Start mode (slow moving) while it is in ECT.

All of the following 3 indicator lights are stable ON and wouldn’t switch off normally; Engine Check, Slip Indicator, and Warning (Triangle with exclamation mark in the center)

On the other hand the “4LO” light is blinking rapidly.

I did put the transfer in neutral and back successfully (followed procedure to cut drive power to the wheels), it didn’t help, some people suggested putting it in neutral “the transmission must be put into neutral after the vehicle engine is running.” Not sure how to do this, what do you think?

Another thing, once engine is off and ignition in the ON position; if I switch between H4 and L4 I would hear it engage and disengage, once I start the engine while in the L4 it acts normally with the usual stiffness and slowness, this leads me to think that it is not stuck in the L4, so what is the problem then??

What directions exactly should I follow please?

I would greatly appreciate your input..

Hi,

Some are saying: "the transmission must be put into neutral after the vehicle engine is running, once you get it into neutral, you can then put it into regular high range...."

Do they mean simply shifting the shift lever to “N” or shifting to the neutral position that cuts drive power to the wheels; (put it in "N", ignition to "ON", than to "P", Depress and release the brake pedal 3 times,.......).

I look forward to your reply.

Forgive me if I’m asking and answering my own posts, it is called anxiety!
So I took my cruiser for a drive and came to the conclusion that 4LO isn’t actually stuck, something else is the problem; as I mentioned earlier everything work well in ignition ON mode.
It is when I start the engine that the vehicle start to act funny; not enough power, as though it is on 2nd Start, maybe a vacuum hose is disconnected, is there a web site that explain their locations and point of connection….
Now, it has been to service (Not a Toyota dealer), same person as before who has been doing most of my previous Toyotas; Prado, LC100, 4Runner without an issue.
The lights continue on blinking as indicated earlier..
Let me know your thoughts please..

im assuming u already tried:
stop truck
place transmission (the lever for p r n d, if automatic) in neutral
push switch in, the slide up
drive straight forward until lights off?

I always disconnect both battery cables for about 10 minutes when a vehicle does something like this. Sometimes, it works.

Forgive me if I’m asking and answering my own posts, it is called anxiety!
So I took my cruiser for a drive and came to the conclusion that 4LO isn’t actually stuck, something else is the problem; as I mentioned earlier everything work well in ignition ON mode.
It is when I start the engine that the vehicle start to act funny; not enough power, as though it is on 2nd Start, maybe a vacuum hose is disconnected, is there a web site that explain their locations and point of connection….
Now, it has been to service (Not a Toyota dealer), same person as before who has been doing most of my previous Toyotas; Prado, LC100, 4Runner without an issue.
The lights continue on blinking as indicated earlier..
Let me know your thoughts please..

LC200 Manual has a troubleshooting guide to track down the issue. For the 4WD system if you feel 4Lo engage/disengage then it could be a bad transfer position switch, faulty ECU, or something similar. There are also other failures which can cause some of the lights to come on even though they don't immediately seem to be related. The fact that you describe it as driving "funny" and also mention the VSA light is on makes me think it's more likely a bad wheel speed sensor or something else and the 4Lo light is blinking because the system is telling you that 4Lo is inoperable (because traction control is broken).

I'm not a Toyota mechanic but I would opt to take it to a Toyota mechanic if you have one nearby since they probably need to use the Toyota "intelligent tester" tool in order to pull the failure code (a normal OBD2 reader won't help).

If you are computer savvy you can load up Techstream and pull your own DTC codes to troubleshoot what the problem is.

I recently had a faulty speed sensor harness (the rear one as a whole) replaced. Prior to replacing the harness I had the following lights appear and stay on my dash:
4lo / brake / CDL / vsc / pcs and one other. My local dealer had me fixed and out the door for around $300 - confidence restored in the vehicle.

hi everybody,
i have a land cruiser 4.7 lc200 2010 model, modified by arctic trucks, and lifted 3 inches, and i added a bullet car supercharger to it, car was running perfectly till my problem started at the petrol station, i had refueled to max as usual, i started the engine then suddenly it shuts down and i had the vsc,4lo, and check engine lights on, i started the engine again they were still on and the car is not accelerating,rpm stays on 1000, so i unplugged the battery for few seconds and plugged it again, everything went to normal for about a month, then the same problem occured, again i did the same procedure with the battery, and all is well, 2 weeks later the same problem, and again a week later, and now almost happening on daily bases, will be grateful if someone can help,
thank you
Adel

I think all 3 of those lights mean either your fuel cap is loose or you have fuel in your charcoal canister. It's an "emissions" code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom