My First TIG Weld (With Pic) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started taking a welding fundamentals course through a local community college in anticipation of eventually doing work on my FJ40 when we're finally reunited (she's on the west coast in storage, I'm on the east coast!) It's a six week course that covers the basics of oxyacetylene, TIG, MIG, stick, as well as cutting with plasma and gas. Something I've wanted to learn for a long time! :clap:

So, here's a shot from my first TIG welding experience (a lap joint). Prior to this course I had never used a welder before. I know I have a LONG way to go to be proficient at it, but I'm happy with my progress so far. Any suggestions for improvement? I think the most important thing I need to work on is consistent travel speed, torch distance, and angles.

Cheers!
DSCN0149.jpg

That looks better than my first tig weld, but I wasn't taking a class. Keep up the good work!

Hey - I question your true intensions - are you really just trying to show off? :)

I don't know much but that looks really nice to me for a "1st".

Lot of material on the surface - I guess you could cut it in two and get a better idea of penetration? Seems to be a bit heavy (is that 1/4 inch plate) on the bead but others more experienced would be a better judge of that?

Again - keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Hey - I question your true intensions - are you really just trying to show off? :)

I don't know much but that looks really nice to me for a "1st".

Lot of material on the surface - I guess you could cut it in two and get a better idea of penetration? Seems to be a bit heavy (is that 1/4 inch plate) on the bead but others more experienced would be a better judge of that?

Again - keep up the good work.

Haha, yeah I'm a little proud but really do want to get feedback on how to improve. Instructor is a bit hands off. I guess it's more accurate to say this was the best piece I welded during my first night with a TIG welder. The first couple of beads I ran that night were sad.

It's 1/8 inch plate. In some areas I travelled too quickly (piled up in a thin bead), others I fed too much filler rod (bead width correct, but too convex). I think I'll bring it to class and grind it down to see how well it's really bonded. Thanks for the suggestion!

TIG welding sure isn't easy, but I like it a lot better than stick or MIG ( haven't had much time on either ) because of how much control you have. It really is an art.

hard to tell in the pic if you have some undercutting on the top plate,, but it looks great, first time or not. are you going to learn mig or do you just want to be "that" guy, you know, the one with the fancy welder but has to miss the trail run cause your still welding.:hillbilly:

You've got good hands. That looks great as is.
Post up a similar joint done with oxy if you are so inclined, and if you are doing more in class than just cutting with it.

Not bad for a first try. Looks like you learned OA first, since they are similar skills.

1. Remove the mill scale first and you will have less contamination.

2. There is some cold lap at the bottom, especially in the middle. Keep the travel speed constant and dip regularly and often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom