My first starting issue... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reznunt

Massive Metal Shop
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
massivemetalshop.com
Today I had my first starting issue. Ran a quick errand and when I came out of the store I tried to start the truck. No crank, but I heard the starter relay click. Tried a few times with the same result. Spent 10 minutes searching mud on my phone and then decided to try it again. This time I got a super weak split-second crank. Immediately tried it again and I got a longer 1-second weak crank. Tried it a third and fourth time and each time I got a longer (but still weak) crank and it finally started up. I drove home and cut the engine off and tried to start it and it fired right up. I shut off the motor and tried again and it starts fast and strong with healthy cranks just like before the issue arose.

Searched for similar threads but I couldn't find the same symptoms my truck had. Both my batteries are healthy and this was the first I've encountered this issue. I was guessing it's the relay on it's way out but the weak cranks threw me. I do already have the starter contacts in hand (ordered them awhile back just in case) if it's that.

Any ideas?

Starter contacts?

I've typically experienced the "turn and click" when the starter contacts start going out. Some random number of "turns" later, it starts. The longer you wait, (to replace the contacts) the more "turns" it takes to get a start.

Thanks for the info! I'll tear into it as soon as I have some time.

Open your hood and tighten both terminals on your battery.

I've had the exact same symptoms 2 different times, and in both cases...while the terminals LOOKED fine, they weren't tight enough. When I went to check them, in fact, I could hear the crackling of the arcs. Tightened them down and boom. Off I went.

which one are you experiencing?

The first few attempts yielded no crank. Ten minutes later, the last few attempts (within a few seconds of each other) cranked slow for a split second, then slightly faster/longer, then started.

Then over the weekend it was just "click" each time I tried to start it. I'd try like five attempts a few seconds apart and when she finally fired up it was as if all was normal. There were no more weak cranks.

Open your hood and tighten both terminals on your battery.

I've had the exact same symptoms 2 different times, and in both cases...while the terminals LOOKED fine, they weren't tight enough. When I went to check them, in fact, I could hear the crackling of the arcs. Tightened them down and boom. Off I went.

All of my military terminals on both of my batteries were tight. All my upgraded and extra chassis/body/block grounds are perfectly tight. Checked them all when I got the weak/slow crank. Both batteries were at 12.6V but I didn't check the voltage during starting.

Last edited:
In my experience, it's all or nothing with a starter contact issue, there shouldn't be weak attempts by the motor to turn over.

Your symptoms sound exactly like worn starter contacts...

Pulled the starter today and found out it was a Bosch. I called Autozone and was able to pick up a remanufactured Denso within an hour and a half for $140 plus core. Installed it and all is well. Definitely the starter/contacts. Thanks for all your help guys!

By the way, I thought I should mention that the starter issue arose about a week after cleaning my bay with gunk foaming engine cleaner and low pressure water. The whole bay was caked in mud from a previous trip a month or so ago and I found a half inch thick layer of mud in the valley of the block. The drain hole at the back of the valley was almost completely mudded shut. There were water droplets inside the case where the contacts sit. I pulled the contacts off the Bosch and there aren't any O-rings like the ones included with the OEM starter contact kit.

mud.jpg

Pulled the starter today and found out it was a Bosch. I called Autozone and was able to pick up a remanufactured Denso within an hour and a half for $140 plus core. Installed it and all is well. Definitely the starter/contacts. Thanks for all your help guys!

By the way, I thought I should mention that the starter issue arose about a week after cleaning my bay with gunk foaming engine cleaner and low pressure water. The whole bay was caked in mud from a previous trip a month or so ago and I found a half inch thick layer of mud in the valley of the block. The drain hole at the back of the valley was almost completely mudded shut. There were water droplets inside the case where the contacts sit. I pulled the contacts off the Bosch and there aren't any O-rings like the ones included with the OEM starter contact kit.

View attachment 1477842
whoa...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom