My '97 LX 450 Buildup...Comments/Suggestions Welcome! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Way to get into it. Im betting your going to be thrilled when you hit the trails coming from a 3rd gen 4runner.

Check in w/ the ONSC and TN-stlca groups for some local cruiserheads and trail reports.
X2 on aaron's work as well, you may want to contact UNBREAKABLE to see if hes still around granite falls.

keep us posted on the work.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the solid axles and lockers, not to mention 37's coming from 33's and open IFS.

What is ONSC and TN-STLCA? I left a message for Aaron yesterday...I'm ready to do the re-gear, so I'm thinking I'll just order up the parts and hopefully he'll call back soon to do the install.

Chris

Thanks Kyle...didn't realize he does the bumpers and exo cages...been on the phone for half an hour with him already.

Chris

When I bought my LX, I knew it needed a rear passenger door lock actuator to make the lock work again, so I ordered up the part from CruiserDan for $76.35, part # 69130-60010 and here's the video for those that may need to do the same thing:

YouTube - Replacing a Door Lock Actuator on a '97 LX450 / Land Cruiser

Because of the crappy angle of the camera and the lack of having someone else to shoot the video, it is what it is, so if you need an explanation to clarify anything, just let me know.

Chris

Just talked to Aaron, and he doesn't want me to film the process...too precise of a process he said, so need to find someone else. :)

Chris

Just ordered 5.29 gears from Just Differentials. It was $1045 shipped for he gears, master kits, and solid pinion spacers.

Chris

Great video! I just noticed there was snow on the ground and you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt! In Texas we would have to wear a full winter bib and parka.:) Brrr.

Nah, I was wearing long pants, but it was definitely the warmest day we've had in a long time. It's been snowing in Boone, NC like crazy this year. We've got over 68" of snow already this season and it's supposed to snow again today! :)

Chris

I got the 6" lift installed today, and need to get it aligned tomorrow. I'm probably going to change out the springs and shocks though, because I think they're all
wrong. Way way too stiff and nearly no droop at all. It's very squirly on the road, but it's probably due to needing to be aligned. I broke a few bolts in the rear for the bumpstop extensions and swaybar, need the spacers for the front, and need to extend the breathers. I can't imagine this thing being able to flex at all on the trail with as stiff of a spring they put on it. It's only roughly 2" longer than stock yet yields a 6" lift...not what I expected. The problem now is achieving
more flex will quickly result in the spring unseating, which sucks.

Chris

Here's some quick pics from my phone...go figure that I was screwing around and got a flat tire when I flex'd it out...guess the new tires and wheels are being bought sooner than later. :)

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

This kills me that the spring rates are so stiff with the Slee kit that it doesn't allow it to flex nearly at all up front. Both front and rear, there's no lowered bumpstops in these pics, because I didn't get them with the used kit for the front and the rear bolts seized and snapped off, so I'm drilling and tapping those today. But, I don't see why the fronts are even needed...lol.
photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Also, with as much bind as the front creates for itself with those arms, I'm wondering if tightening all the bushing bolts while it's fully extended doesn't further help the issue by binding the bushings at full extension. I'm thinking about loosening all the bushings while at ride height, let the bushings seat themselves at ride height, then tighten them down so the bind is more neutral.

Chris

This kills me that the spring rates are so stiff with the Slee kit that it doesn't allow it to flex nearly at all up front. Chris

Doesn't matter what springs you have up front, it doesn't fles well. If you notice on the other thread for front flex, the only ones that show any front flex is where the rear is working against the front - crossed up. You've got it so it's even less likely to flex cause your rear is wanting to go the same way as the front. I'll be the first one to say 6" springs with l's have no droop, but you're putting the blame a little too much in the wrong area. Oh, and you need a couple hundred pounds of armer to make those springs sit right :)

So, basically, if I took the uphill spring off, you're saying it won't flex anymore than it is in that pic because of the arms?

Chris

So, basically, if I took the uphill spring off, you're saying it won't flex anymore than it is in that pic because of the arms?

Chris

it's not that simple, nothing ever is when it comes to suspension, but ya', for the most part, what's happening is it's easier for the body to flop over and compress the left rear spring, than it is for the front axle to flex, which part of that is the compression of that spring and it's rate, and part of it is the binding of the axle. What you're seeing though is not all that different than with any other springs, even shorter softer springs - which is why I said no matter what springs, the front doesn't flex well. High spring rates might not help, but, it's not the only cause, and therefore, not the only needed solution.

k, sounds good...well, not really. lol...I guess it's time to experiment. :)

Chris

Hey guys,

This week I had my 5.29's installed at Kelley Bros Tire and Auto Center in Boone, NC for only $411 out the door. Gears and the non-crush style sleeves were $1,045 shipped. Russell at Kelley Bros. did my install in a day and it drives perfect, but the speedo is way off because still on stock tires. :)

Their address is 139 Tarheel Lane in Boone, NC 28607 and their number is 828-264-8846. Talk to Brad Kelley and tell him Chris Rademacher sent ya. His email is kellybrostire@msn.com

I also just ordered up my new tires and wheels due in next week from Sears in Maryville, TN because they can balance 37x12.50's and they offer road hazard, so when I slice a sidewall I'll get a free replacement tire. :) The total for 5 Cooper STT's was a few bucks under $2k with taxes, road hazard and lifetime rotate and balance. To me I couldn't get myself to spring another $90/tire for the KM2's. Apparently they just came off sale too :( Oh well, I had to buy new wheels too, so I ordered 17x9 black steelies from mrw. Not sure of the total with shipping yet, but probably around $650.

I'll post up speedo differences here in a minute.

Chris

Here's my speedo numbers with stock tires and 5.29's. The first number is the speed on the odometer, the second is actual mph off my GPS, and the third is the Rpm at those higher speeds in overdrive.

30 23
40 30
50 39 1800
60 47 2100
70 53 2400
80 61 2700
90 70 3000

Of course, these are visual numbers, not exact science, but these are close.

Chris

P.S. I video'd nearly the entire gear swap, but have lots of editing to do on it.

Also, I got my Roger Brown 2" body lift in, so I'm planning to install it next week, as well. In a couple weeks later I'm going to lift the drivetrain, get rid of the stock crossmember and try to get the undercarriage flat except for the control arm mounts. I'm planning to run a combination of steel skid with uhmw on top soit slides over the rocks better.

Chris

The springs are designed for weight, and you have none on your tuck, but what Walking Eagle is saying is right in that you are just seeing what every 80 does.

As for skidding an 80 over rocks, good luck with that :D They do not skid, they beach like a whale. Maybe with some good roller muffler bearings it might, provided you spray the rocks with PAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom