My 1999 Land Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been a while since I updated this thread. In September I installed the Smittybilt 2871 into the engine bay. I modded the compressor to have a pressure switch so it doesn't continuously cycle, and I adapted it to 1/4" NPT fittings. I made custom mount, which actually ended up being pretty difficult to install and in hindsight I would have mounted it differently. I also made a custom manifold to hook up my DIY four tire inflator too. Unfortunately, I didn't calculate the cost of the DIY tire inflator, and it almost cost as much as the equivalent MORRflate offering :doh: . Oh well, I enjoyed making it!

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

I snagged a Dissent front bumper during the sale for $999, what a killer deal! I live local to Dissent, so my dad went and picked it up at the warehouse for me. I wish I would have gotten it powder coated, but didn't I wanted to keep it as cheap as possible. The install was pretty straight forward. I had a trip to Borrego Springs coming up, and finished the install the day I left haha. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get my winch installed before leaving. I love this bumper so much. It was always a little out of my reach and I was so excited to be able to grab one with the sale!
IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

I lost a couple gallons of capacity when I got high centered at Signal Peak, so I decided to try and gain some of that capacity back. I removed the center row, pulled back the carpet, exposing the fuel pump. I pulled the pump out and then used a little league bat to hammer out the tank as best I could. It's far from perfect, but I did get a lot of my lost capacity back! I plan to get the LRA 24 gal aux tank at some point, and when I do I will go ahead and replace this tank as well.

I also installed a Victory 4x4 Gas tank skid, which apparently I have no pictures of. They didn't send me all of the necessary hardware, but Corey was quick to fix the problem. After comparing the Victory skid with the Slee skids I have (which AREN'T HSLA) I would 100% go with the less expensive Victory skid set. You can get all four skids for the 100 series for less than the three Slee skids shipped to CA.
IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

68748936500__2A6A51A4-75FE-4138-A5AF-1DA806EDFFDD.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

That trip I mentioned to Borrego Springs was for an introductory class for four wheeling. My dad found it and so a group of us went down to participate and learn together. It consisted of a half day of class time, and two days of driving. The best part is since my dad, brother, and I all brought our significant other's, we got to do all of the obstacles/exercises twice so they ladies could learn too! All in all it was pretty good! My dad and is in the Xterra, my brother in the 80, and my family in the 100 of course.
IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

Here is a couple clips from the class:

I picked up Smittybilt X2O Gen 3 12k (cuz I don't understand physics lol @lexus.overland). The control box didn't quite fit with the Dissent bumper, so I ended up mounting in the engine bay using the Owl Expedition accessory tray (which is fantastic BTW, thanks!). I used a Warn control box relocation kit since I don't have the tools to crimp large cable.

IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4985.JPG

I also decided I would investigate how to wire up some in cab winch controls, which I ended up finding a couple youtube videos for. Basically, I got a cable with 4 stands of 16 gauge wire, and wired them to the relay inside of the winch control box, one to positive, one to negative, and then one each for winch in/out. I then passed them through firewall and hooked them up to two oem style push button switches form CH4x4. One switch turns the winch on/off, and the other controls the cable moving in/out. The way its wired you can still use the factory controller. Pretty slick if you ask me!

IMG_4986.JPG
Wiring diagram.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

My most recent project was installing an Auxbeam 8 Gang switch panel. Plan to use this to power all of my aftermarket lights. Normally, the switch panel is tied to accessory power, so it only works with the key in the ignition. This is to prevent your starter battery from being drained. I want to be able use lights at camp while the car is off, so I tapped a circuit that is always on (the dome light) and put an on/off switch in between the power source and the controller. I plan to upgrade my starter battery to an odyssey extreme or something so I can run lights at camp without worrying too much about the battery.

IMG_5203.JPG
IMG_5207.JPG

I needed a spot for all of the wiring in the engine bay, so I epoxied a piece of 1/4" ABS over the main breaker cover. I used this to mount a couple bus bars, the 60 amp breaker, and the auxbeam breaker. I wired it so that if I pop the 60 amp breaker, all of my accessories on the bus bars (so far just my compressor and the auxbeam) are cut off. So far the only thing on the controller is my new Diode Dynamics SS6 SAE fog lights. I really wanted the Rigid offering, but these were on sale for $160 for the pair!!

IMG_5323.JPG
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5216.JPG

While I had the interior apart for the auxbeam install, I took the time to install my Cruiser DM cupholders. This thing is pretty sweet. My only complaint is that I wish it had the larger 3" opening for the full depth of the cupholder. I ended up buying a smaller waterbottle that is thin enough to sit all the way down.

IMG_5324.JPG
IMG_5326.JPG

I also painted my shift indicator plate. Like an idiot I forgot that the letters need to allow light to pass through them in order to be illuminated at night. I painted over them so now I can't see which gear I'm in at night :rofl:. I will fix that soon.. maybe.. one day...

IMG_5198.jpg
IMG_5201.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG

I took my family and met my dad and brother at Prairie City SVRA in Sacramento yesterday. They have a 4x4 Park section that we wanted to check out, and try some obstacles in a more controlled environment. My dad has a 2008 Xterra Off Road with full Dobinsons IMS suspension, sitting on 33" KO2's, its pretty damn capable! It was a lot of fun! We tried a number of different obstacles, and even made it to the top of this pyramid with a choice line. My dad and brother traded off in the Xterra, and my wife and I took turns in the 100, she is going to be great on the trail! I even let my 9 year old get some seat time in haha. I also got to help recover a Tacoma that got stuck in some deep water. They had GALLONS of water in the cab, but it seemed to be running ok.

Unfortunately it tweaked my new Dissent bumper a little. The wings aren't even anymore, and the drivers side recovery point shifted a bit. Not a big deal at all, and it may not even be due to the bumper. I pulled back slowly to create tension before giving it the skinny pedal, but also may not have had full tension. Also, the Tacoma put his end of the strap around a bull bar instead of a recover point, and he bent the bull bar. I'm going to try to take it off and put it back on to see if it just shifted some instead of bending. All in all it was a great day!

Little story side story about the Xterra... when my dad was shopping for suspension, I suggested Dobinsons since I was so happy with my IMS set up. Mike at Exit Off Road had some Xterra suspension parts a la carte, but didn't have a page with all of the different options in drop down menus like he does for Toyotas. I suggested he do that, and an hour later he emailed me with a link to a newly formatted page for Xterras!
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5530.JPG
IMG_5533.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some videos we took. The recovery video is pixelated since my brother text me from an android.

That last one is my daughter driving :cool:

It’s cool you can go out wheeling with your father and brother. :cool:

Avoid giving anybody a tug in reverse. The front differential is a reverse cut type. Strongest going forward but weaker when in reverse. Same type in 80 series.

It’s cool you can go out wheeling with your father and brother. :cool:

Avoid giving anybody a tug in reverse. The front differential is a reverse cut type. Strongest going forward but weaker when in reverse. Same type in 80 series.

Yep, I am glad my dad picked this up with me. Thanks for the recovery tip, I appreciate it. That was my first recovery attempt ever, I am definitely a novice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom