My 1978 BJ40 (3b) Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FDo5g

GOLD Star
Threads
Greetings!

I recently acquired this 24 volt 1978 Canadian import BJ40 with replacement 3B engine. I look forward to connecting with all of you and hearing your thoughts on my proposed future modifications and repairs. At present I am working to replace the voltage regulator and the-ring from the fuel lift pump. I plan a garret turbo as soon as I get the rest of the shakedown repairs completed.

9CE62A73-4008-472B-A4B5-66B660E5C861.jpeg

D4FAB160-0FD2-4A03-97C5-E161449190E6.jpeg

91C3100F-0BF1-46D7-B746-D54E8326C438.jpeg

23EC7696-D196-4437-880F-C6D54070EE41.jpeg

FED748BE-DC34-448D-ACDB-14F0AB77606C.jpeg

7964377C-CF6C-422E-B69A-14EA022B97FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club ! I also have a 1978 BJ40 that I have had for about 40 years. This last spring I replaced my worn out B with a 3B, but I don't think I will be adding a turbo anytime soon. :)

The photos show a petrol engine?
That’s so funny… That wasn’t even my vehicle! I’m not sure how that picture got mixed in with the others!

That’s so funny… That wasn’t even my vehicle! I’m not sure how that picture got mixed in with the others!

Thats a relief! Any chance of a shot of your engine bay?

Dont rush to turbo it.. the 3B, like all NA Indirect Injected Engine diesel engines, is a bit of a slug, but they are so damn reliable and trustworthy and the turbo is often a bit of a slippery slope to failure and cooling issues.. drive and enjoy it for a while and see if you can live without a turbo?

I like you, you're clearly an optimist..

1665087532095.png

Dont rush to turbo it.. the 3B, like all NA Indirect Injected Engine diesel engines, is a bit of a slug, but they are so damn reliable and trustworthy and the turbo is often a bit of a slippery slope to failure and cooling issues.. drive and enjoy it for a while and see if you can live without a turbo?
I don’t know if my 3B is tired or what, but I’m literally in second gear climbing the Appalachian foothills here in the piedmont of Virginia.

It was explained to me that the 3 B was actually designed to accommodate a turbo through multiple features, but just wasn’t placed on that block. Many people who consider themselves experts in the 3B say that the vehicle runs better with a turbo— perhaps even with better fuel economy.

It was explained to me that the 3 B was actually designed to accommodate a turbo through multiple features, but just wasn’t placed on that block. Many people who consider themselves experts in the 3B say that the vehicle runs better with a turbo— perhaps even with better fuel economy.

At the end of a day, its still an indirect injected head with precombustion cups - the block itself (like the late 2H blocks) may have features for a turbo that just require drilling and tap (oil feed, oil return, piston skirt squirters) but the head design itself is rather unsuitable for a turbo.

If you could find a 13BT it would have the mostly the same block, but with a direct injected head that really is designed for a turbo application.

Anyhow.. opinions are everywhere, its a lovely vehicle you have.

Prior to turbo'ing.. maybe just cover off on all the basics first to make sure you're not chasing gains that should already be there:

• Valve timing bang on
  • Injector Spill timing perfect
  • Fresh fuel filter
  • Fresh air filter
  • Good high tyre pressures
  • Good injector spray pattern
  • Crack pressures on injectors spot on
  • Lift pump confirmed in good working order
  • Weight as low as possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom