Mutant garlics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So some of my garlics are maturing and I'm getting 2-3" single clove bulbs (about the size of a medium onion).:eek::D And I still have 6 elephant garlics in the ground:cool:. I usually just get a handful of small bulbs, so I'm not sure what I did right this year.:p That's way too much for use in a single recipe. I'm thinking about roasting them and making garlic butter and oil. Anybody have any other great ideas for preserving and/or storing these monsters? :confused:

Says who?:D

You're right, there's a few recipes that call for large amounts of garlic.:D But I mostly cook for one and I will have 6 or 8 of these monsters.:doh: So, in basic cooking, I'm unlikely to use all of them before they spoil.:frown:

You can roast them and then freeze them for later use.

pickle them with equal amounts of jalapenos. YUMMY!!!!!!!

also......just finished some from last year's crop. If you leave them in their skins and the bulb intact, they keep a really long time in a cool, dry place.

Last edited:
also......just finished some from last year's crop. If you leave them in their skins and the bulb intact, they keep a really long time in a cool, dry place.

I've had some keep all summer.:cool: Long enough to become seed garlics for fall planting.:hmm: I won't be doing that with these, they're one gigantic clove. Pickled garlic is the bomb, never tried doing it myself.:meh:

I've had some keep all summer.:cool: Long enough to become seed garlics for fall planting.:hmm: I won't be doing that with these, they're one gigantic clove. Pickled garlic is the bomb, never tried doing it myself.:meh:

If you get more than you can deal with, I know someone who can put it to good use before it goes bad.;)

If you get more than you can deal with, I know someone who can put it to good use before it goes bad.;)

It took you three days for you to offer to take them off my hands.:rolleyes: You're a little slow these days.:p Any time you're up this way, John. Maybe by then I'll have some extra chilies.:eek:

You're already harvesting your garlic? Mine wont be ready for a couple more months. :frown:

Our growing seasons are a little screwy in the desert.:hmm: Garlic and onions are planted in the early fall and harvested in late spring. Most typical summer veggies don't survive the heat, so spring is our summer growing season.:idea: Give it another 5-6 weeks and most everything except herbs, peppers and squash will be wiped out until fall.:frown:

Under shade cloth, zukes, yellow squash, and chard are our favoites. Bummer most of the early girl bossoms get cooked and dont produce. Oh, the serranos like to get beat up in the summer heat.:cool:

All my green chilis come in gunny sacks form Hatch though.;)

Under shade cloth, zukes, yellow squash, and chard are our favoites. Bummer most of the early girl bossoms get cooked and dont produce. Oh, the serranos like to get beat up in the summer heat.:cool:

All my green chilis come in gunny sacks form Hatch though.;)

I'm getting early girls, yellow pears, cherrys and romas right now.:D

Shade cloth buys the maters an extra month or so, but they usually succumb to the heat in early July.:frown: At your elevation, I would think you could keep them going all summer.:meh:

peel them, place them in a sauce pan with a bunch of oil and simmer them on low heat for about 30 to 45 mins. you'll have some fantastic garlic-flavored oil with some excellent "confit" garlic cloves. place the garlic and oil in a small jar; place in the fridge for up to 6 months...but whenever I make it, it doesn't last more than 6 weeks.

the garlic cloves and/or oil are excellent on toasted baguette slices -- spread some on and sprinkle with some kosher salt.

the garlic cloves and/or oil are excellent on toasted baguette slices -- spread some on and sprinkle with some kosher salt.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Even just roasted and spread on crusty bread is fine.

peel them, place them in a sauce pan with a bunch of oil and simmer them on low heat for about 30 to 45 mins. you'll have some fantastic garlic-flavored oil with some excellent "confit" garlic cloves. place the garlic and oil in a small jar; place in the fridge for up to 6 months...but whenever I make it, it doesn't last more than 6 weeks.

That was one of my thoughts. Adding a little rosemary and/or basil would also be a good touch. I'm thinking it would be great over pasta as well.:cool: I've done them on the grill as well, they came out fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom