Must be present to win (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a bit disappointed at the winch raffle decision that the winner must be present to win. There were many guys who joined in support of PMC on their membership race with LSLC this year, and many live quite a long distance from the usual meeting sites in the North Bay. In a way, this decision places people like Jim Brantley and Jack Rice at a severe disadvantage.

I'm glad there are those who are willing to travel the distance to go to the meetings like the couple our newsletter discussed, but for many others who get out of work at 5-6 pm, driving up to Windsor from the Bay Area at the height of rush hour is an exercise in masochism. I realize where the birth place of PMC is, but if the meeting location was further south (Vallejo, for instance) I think more from the Bay Area would attend the meetings.

Dave

I live in Sacramento and have barely made the last 2 October meetings-it's a 2 hour drive at rush hour. While it would be nice to award the winch to someone present, it does disadvantage those of us who live at a distance or have jobs with unpredictable schedules. Since the award is about participation during the WHOLE year, it does seem wrong to require attendence at that one meeting. With that said I will continue to support the PMC but maybe after this year we can vote to change the "rules".

Dave-you and I are in the same boat here, thanks for posting.

ya, I too believe it defeats the purpose of the winch raffle (participation all year)... but I was also not there to voice my opinion.

Oh well, everyone has assured me of winning... afterall, Andy and I are the only ones who actually wheel and he probably won't be there... so I'm a shoe in to win!

(OK, that was an arrogant, conceited statement... but consider the source!)

Beanz has a very good point. Trying to drive up to Windsor during rush hour traffic is nearly impossible for those of us who live in the south bay area. I attended only one general meeting and have been denied three other times after spending 3 1/2 hours fighting traffic from San Jose. I want to be more active in the club, but the way things are set up makes it very hard to attend functions.
I can also understand the frustration of the people who are the regular attendees, because they are the ones who are always volunteering and putting in the majority of the effort into the club.
Since there is a lot of bickering over the winch raffle how about this as a compromise:
Make attendance at the raffle mandatory, but hold the october meeting on a weekend.
This will allow the people who have been active in the club events but are unable to make it to general meetings a chance at winning in addition to the regulars who can show up every month.

I only have to come up from Riverside so I don't even know if I would drive or just take a JetBlue flight :)

But I joined on the DV trip last year due to Tony's "used car salesman" appeal and to just support the PMC AND to hopefully re-defeat Texas. Plus the winch raffle is just a bonus (a generous one at that). But I do think a lot of us were told we wouldn't have to be present to be included. I just hope it goes to someone that actually needs/wants/uses it.

So, yeah, change the rules so they are very clear. And hold the meeting somewhere central like Ridgecrest...

Mike R.

i agree,. if the club(meeting attendees) wants more attendance and participation in the club and meetings they should hold them on the weekends. i also cannot make it to the meetings for the simple fact i work in san jose and by the time i would arrive(on a weekday) at the meetings they would be over.also change the location of the meetings so that every member gets a chance to visit different locations of the greater san fransisco bay area. not all members live in the bay area but some i'm sure are willing to make the drive on the weekends to attend a meeting in a city closer to thier home rather than drive up to sonoma county.all of this will need to be voted upon so i'm sure none of this will happen.this of course is my personal opinion and all i care about is meeting people with the same interests as mine- wheeling, having a good time,and exploring the great outdoors in a landcruiser. i could care less about a damn raffle,next time i'll spend my money elsewhere,if it remains a problem, most likely on beer and parts.i also hope to be attending some runs this year so i can meet the lovely people that helped establish this wonderfull club,and yes,in my life "everything is rosy and life is great".that's how i made it.my renewal check is in the mail for i will continue my support for the club.
thank you,
one pissed off member and that's my right

Last edited:
to be clear, this rule change was Not in affect for 04... so my used car salesman speal was correct for 04 and the change is being noted for 05, to allow everyone to decide when renewing.

and DV was one of the best trips for me in 04 thanks to Andy and everyone there, I can hardly wait to return in 05.

oh, classic title teapot!

Now, if you move the meeting further south then those of us in Upstate California will have that much further to drive promoting pissing and moaning. I took 1/2 a day off and drove the 200 miles(4hrs) to be at that meeting, eat and VOTE.
I do like the weekend idea. Maybe even rotate meeting places. Let's vote.
There were a lot of people dissapointed no one present won the winch and I agree with and voted for the change that will start next year.
Russ in Coastal Upstate California
PMC
TLCA

I like the fact that meetings are on weekdays. I work weekends! Ha. Anyway I was at the meeting and voting in agreement with the winch vote. It is the most important meeting of the year and you don't have to be there! However someone must be there to represent you. If you where at the meeting in October you would have been able to vote against the winch decision. Look at it this way, you have almost a year to get your schedule ready for the next October meeting on a Thursday. Then you can lobby to change the by laws!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom