Muffler Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after 204k miles my 1999 LC muffler finally needed replacement. It blew a hole the size of a gratefruit in the bottom. I checked around the local dealers, all wanted anywhere from $375 to $550 plus another $100 for gaskets and clamps. After a search on this forum and saw a number of brands used, mainly those looking for a bit more performance. We use our LC mainly as a family truckster, so the deep throaty sound of the V-8 wasn't necessary. I did a search on the internet I ended up with a Walker stainless steel Quiet flow 3, part number 55329.

Summit Racing had it for $110, (most online stores had it from $150 to $180) Autozone had it listed for $169, but matched the Summit Racing price and I saved on the shipping. I had it in two days. I still needed two gaskets from Toyota, $16 each. The Walker muffler looked very similar to the OEM but it did not have the ribbed rear pipe (eliminating the need for the Toyota clamp and flange gasket a savings of $42) but did require it to be welded to the middle pipe that hooks to the resonator. It also did not have the counter-weight on the back end of the muffler that helps reduce vibration. As far as sound, it is as quiet as the OEM. It does has a very slight resonance at freeway speed, but again, it is very slight. Only noticeable with the radio off, on smooth road. So far it has performed 98% as well as the OEM and was a lot less money. I am into the Walker for a total of $202 installed, parts and labor ($110 muffler, $32 gaskets and $60 labor). For the OEM, I was looking at $550 minimum and probably would have been closer to $700. If you are looking for an OEM-like muffler, quiet and reasonably priced, the Walker Quiet flow 3 is a good option. It also has a lifetime guaranty. Although this may sound like a commercial, I have no affiliation with Walker, Toyota or Autozone. So far my wife hasn't noticed a difference and that is what really matters! Good luck. Phil

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, love it
2000 Land Rover Discovery II, an opportunity to teach my boys how to work on cars
2001 Land Rover Discovery II, a further opportunity to teach my boys how to work on cars

Last edited:
This is good beta, thanks! Note, Walker is also rebranded at Napa Auto. It might be a little cheaper at Napa, but $110 is pretty damn cheap.

I've been considering this muffler myself. Although I like the throatier sound of the baseball size hole in my muffler. It is not great for the family hauler.

Right now this muffler is listed on Amazon for just shy of $100 fwiw.

Thanks ljlc,

Jon

Got one from rockauto when it was onsale a while back, cant remember who make it, but it was $130 inc gaskit and shipping, have the shop to installed it for $55 cash, because I cant get the nut loose. Total 185. And it work great, as quite as new :-D

Got one from rockauto when it was onsale a while back, cant remember who make it, but it was $130 inc gaskit and shipping, have the shop to installed it for $55 cash, because I cant get the nut loose. Total 185. And it work great, as quite as new :-D

I went with the Walker 55329 quiet flow muffler as well.

I shopped around and it looks like Summit had the lowest price but I ended up ordering it from Amazon for $119 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKZO1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) I had a $50 credit on my account so it made sense...plus it was stocked and shipped by amazon directly, so I wasn't worried about a possible return if there were any fitting issues. I also bought 2 Walker 31332 Exhaust Gaskets for $4.50 each too. Super fast 2 day free s/h.

I was worried from another thread on this forum about the Walker 55329 that there would be a 3" gap to the resonator pipe but no problems at all, it fit great and so far so good. Before I bought the walker I was quoted $690 and $550 from 2 local shops (non OEM parts too). One wanted to remove the resonator/silencer even though it was working fine. I paid $75 for a shop to put it on and weld it to the resonator and was out the door at $155 for everything so I'm happy even if this thing rusts out in 3yrs.

I went with the Walker 55329 quiet flow muffler as well.

I shopped around and it looks like Summit had the lowest price but I ended up ordering it from Amazon for $119 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKZO1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) I had a $50 credit on my account so it made sense...plus it was stocked and shipped by amazon directly, so I wasn't worried about a possible return if there were any fitting issues. I also bought 2 Walker 31332 Exhaust Gaskets for $4.50 each too. Super fast 2 day free s/h.

I was worried from another thread on this forum about the Walker 55329 that there would be a 3" gap to the resonator pipe but no problems at all, it fit great and so far so good. Before I bought the walker I was quoted $690 and $550 from 2 local shops (non OEM parts too). One wanted to remove the resonator/silencer even though it was working fine. I paid $75 for a shop to put it on and weld it to the resonator and was out the door at $155 for everything so I'm happy even if this thing rusts out in 3yrs.

I paid big money for the OEM Toyota exhaust several years ago (~$550 IIRC) and didn't really think twice about it at the time. Recently I was going through my old service receipts and noticed on the muffler receipt it said "MUFFLER NOW HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY"... That was a pretty cool surprise! I'm sure they will only replace it ONE time for free....but it does help to take some of the sting out of the initial replacement costs. :)

-G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom