Mud Flaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Did the search. Not a lot about them on our trailers. Getting pretty much finished and debating whether to put a pair on or not. CDN M101, spring over with the fenders extended out to cover the tires.

Reason for asking, outside the potential legality, is throwing rocks at folks behind me for courtesy sake and rooster tails in the rain. Buddy and I were out several months ago on the freeway in the rain (yes, it does occasionally rain in SoCal) and he mentioned me throwing up one hell of a tall rooster tail from the trailer.

I bought an 18th wheeler mud flap and will be cutting to size for mud flaps on my trailer...
they are about 3/8" thick.....
I think it was around $14 for it.....

I bought an 18th wheeler mud flap and will be cutting to size for mud flaps on my trailer...
they are about 3/8" thick.....
I think it was around $14 for it.....

Where did you get it? Truck stop? Pep Boys, Kragen, etc. don't have anything. Going to stop at a Trailer/RV place down here on the way home to see what they have. Simple piece of rubber is all I'm thinking of using.

I did the same thing.

5142006024_a6bf0333f9_z.jpg

I bought mine from a trailer supply.

I was driving by Ontario and stop at the 76 truck stop off of milliken ave....... a trailer store should have them too..

Brent-
If you know somebody in the manufacturing industry, or industrial mechanics, you can source some scrap conveyor belt material and cut it to fit. Probably alot cheaper than buying flaps.

Brent-
If you know somebody in the manufacturing industry, or industrial mechanics, you can source some scrap conveyor belt material and cut it to fit. Probably alot cheaper than buying flaps.

:lol: Damn! :lol:

Was just out on the Mojave road and the Atkins Mine has a bunch of old scrap conveyor belt material lying around. :rolleyes:

I bet if that belt has sat in the sun for a few decades, it's going to be brittle.:p
Good idea, though, but get the fresh stuff:lol:

Heck, this post made me walk out to the garage to check out our M101. It's got the stock suspension set-up and 33s on it, but fenders to cover. Sure enough, the top of the fender skirting is above the center of the axle.

I've got no idea if that matters. I'm more worried about the darn thing flinging more cr@p than it has to on the 80!:idea:

Fender and flap laws vary by state, as does enforcement. I'm not too worried about that. Plus the bottom of the fender is pretty close to the tire to clear it if I hit gaumy mud. But I am going to start watching behind as best I can when I haul the trailer in the rain.:hmm:

Oh yeah, cheapest place to buy mud flaps is probably at a truck parts house, like International/Navistar, KW, or Freightliner. The truck stops charge out the nose, cause they hope to capture the "need it now, right here" consumers. The truck parts store is dealing with folks maintaining trucks, so they tend to pinch their pennies a little harder to meet their customers expectations.

Used to be a truck parts guy, so I know of where I speak.

We have a CIR here in the Reno/Sparks area. I've purchased various types of rubber belting, thick, thin, flexible, more rigid, etc., from them over the years. They usually have scrap laying around they almost give away in small pieces. And the guys that work there are very helpful too; not their typical belting client ;).

That reminds me...I've been wanting to cut the pieces of rubber I got there a year ago or more for flaps on my 100-Series to help keep some of the stones off of the KK trailer....

They're in your neck-o'-the woods too ;)

CIR, California Industrial Rubber - Locations

Did the search. Not a lot about them on our trailers. Getting pretty much finished and debating whether to put a pair on or not. CDN M101, spring over with the fenders extended out to cover the tires.

Reason for asking, outside the potential legality, is throwing rocks at folks behind me for courtesy sake and rooster tails in the rain. Buddy and I were out several months ago on the freeway in the rain (yes, it does occasionally rain in SoCal) and he mentioned me throwing up one hell of a tall rooster tail from the trailer.

California code:

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

But good on you for doing it anyway. I need to add flaps to mine after the springover. Probably a good idea to add them to the FJ40 as well, since I've coated my trailer with enough mud to make it look like a chocolate cake.

Good code info. Trailer does not weigh 1500 lbs unladen by a long shot - but want to do for the spray. RFJTOY said I was putting up quite a rooster tail spray from the trailer on the freeway in a heavy rain.

I've seen what Pep Boys has and don't like it. Portal guys posted a link to TrailFlaps that are removable for about $85. Nice as you can remove them easily when you hit the trail. They can be mounted a little farther back to as my fender is only about 2 inches behind the rear of the tire - sits up high enough so it's not a problem...unless you hang a flap directly off it I'd think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom