Moving to NH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I’m moving to Manchester, NH next month. Curious on NH’s vehicle inspections as I drive a 20 year old Land Cruiser with 262k. Should I be worried? I passed emissions in Nashville a few years ago. Items like front brake caliper or other items like that would not be fun as I won’t be able to DIY as living downtown.

Welcome to NH. I am in MA but I do know they are tough on Ebrake, it has to hold the truck. Also they are getting very tough on rust. I am sure others will chime in.

No emissions check in 'The Shire' but the 'check engine' light must not be illuminated. Most shops will check all 4 brakes, E brake, lights, horn, steering, window tint (no tint on front sides), etc. No big deal if your vehicle is sound. Rust can be a deal breaker. Any hole or sharp edge which could harm a pedestrian (as in a person passing between cars in a tight parking lot) will earn a 'fail'. It depends who you go to. Sometimes a single owner/operator hole in the wall will be more strict because they got busted by the State for being too lenient. NH will sometimes put cameras in a shop to watch them or pull their ticket to inspect for repeat offenders.
Rates range from $35 to 55 depending on the shop.

For general maintenance I can recommend:

Mom's Garage
238 Kelley St.
Manchester, NH 03102
603-666-0024

They aren't a Toyota specialty shop but they've always been honest with me. The local Toyota dealer has a great parts department. The manager is a Land Cruiser collector and well connected with hard to find parts.

Avoid Cruiser Solutions.

Make sure to undercoat your vehicles before the winter. I like Fluid Film but there are other good options. Some shops will spray it for you. Well worth the money as its a messy task for you, your car, and your driveway. For undercoat or inspection I've used:

Speedy Lube
226 Second St.
Manchester, NH 03102
603-625-2555

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I had a local exhaust shop install the Bosal muffler direct replacement. I leave for NH on Saturday. Does the Manchester, NH Toyota dealer do state inspections, 60works?

No emissions check in 'The Shire' but the 'check engine' light must not be illuminated. Most shops will check all 4 brakes, E brake, lights, horn, steering, window tint (no tint on front sides), etc. No big deal if your vehicle is sound. Rust can be a deal breaker. Any hole or sharp edge which could harm a pedestrian (as in a person passing between cars in a tight parking lot) will earn a 'fail'. It depends who you go to. Sometimes a single owner/operator hole in the wall will be more strict because they got busted by the State for being too lenient. NH will sometimes put cameras in a shop to watch them or pull their ticket to inspect for repeat offenders.
Rates range from $35 to 55 depending on the shop.

For general maintenance I can recommend:

Mom's Garage
238 Kelley St.
Manchester, NH 03102
603-666-0024

They aren't a Toyota specialty shop but they've always been honest with me. The local Toyota dealer has a great parts department. The manager is a Land Cruiser collector and well connected with hard to find parts.

Avoid Cruiser Solutions.

Make sure to undercoat your vehicles before the winter. I like Fluid Film but there are other good options. Some shops will spray it for you. Well worth the money as its a messy task for you, your car, and your driveway. For undercoat or inspection I've used:

Speedy Lube
226 Second St.
Manchester, NH 03102
603-625-2555
All good info. Be glad you aren't in MA, since the cameras went in inspections have been very strict overall. I go to NH oil undercoating every fall, they should be close to you. If you want some fun stuff done to your truck that you aren't doing yourself or need some overlanding gear, check out MainLine Overland in Bow, NH. Enjoy ManchVegas!

Thanks for the replies! I had a local exhaust shop install the Bosal muffler direct replacement. I leave for NH on Saturday. Does the Manchester, NH Toyota dealer do state inspections, 60works?

Yes. Nearly any reputable repair shop in NH does state inspections.

I'll second getting the NH Oil coating at "The Rust Stop" I got the "rustoration" that needles, wire wheels, rust reforms, then fluid films and offers a lifetime warranty. It has worked for me.

Also, Ratchetts Offroad, in Pelham has been great to go to for inspections. Reasonable guys who understand modified rigs as well as the regulations. They found 2 non compliant items in my last inspection (one of which was a weeping fuel line). I asked if they could just fix them and they did while my rig was still on the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom