Mountable air compressor options for GX470? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been using a small air compressor off amazon for a while, and while it’s easy to use, it just takes forever everytime I need to air back up. Probably takes me at least 30 minutes to air each tire up from 18 psi to 28 psi. Can anyone recommend a good more powerful air compressor that will be able to mount under the hood of my 470? I know ARB makes them but I’m wondering if there are any other options, hopefully a little more affordable. There’s a ton of compressors I see but it’s hard to tell which are mountable and will fit under the hood. Any insight here greatly appreciated.

I used the Slee mount and an ARB dual compressor. On a camping trip last spring, I have filled up 4 vehicles and 2 trailers one after another. Great setup

I used the Slee mount and an ARB dual compressor. On a camping trip last spring, I have filled up 4 vehicles and 2 trailers one after another. Great setup
Awesome, going to check out the Slee mount. It mounts under the hood correct?

I ran this in my Taco for years before upgrading to the ARB twin in my 460. The key is 100% duty cycle. 33” tires from 18 psi to 40 psi in about 20-25 minutes for all four.

Amazon product ASIN B000FQ78VI
Thanks for the reply. Didn’t see yours originally. That viair is definitely similar to what I am looking at. It’s a little hard to tell from the photos but for wiring, you just leave it permanently hooked up to the battery? Then does it have a on/off switch on the compressor for when you want to use it or do you have to wire a switch to the dash? Lastly, where did you mount yours? Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply. Didn’t see yours originally. That viair is definitely similar to what I am looking at. It’s a little hard to tell from the photos but for wiring, you just leave it permanently hooked up to the battery? Then does it have a on/off switch on the compressor for when you want to use it or do you have to wire a switch to the dash? Lastly, where did you mount yours? Thanks in advance
I had it mounted in the bed of the Taco hard wired to a Blue Seas fuse block mounted in the bed, wired to the house battery under the hood.

The RAGO mount will hold the single or double ARB. I mounted the single ARB along with my Switch Pros vertically on top and all my lighting wiring connecters loomed underneath. I think the double ARB and a Switch Pros, relays, fuse blocks etc. would work with some ingenuity and placements. I am writing this here to point out that the Rago mount can be used to add more than just a compressor under the hood and it's good quality and fairly reasonable.

The twin cylinder ARB is probably what you want but it is pricey or CO2 tank if your trying to save time and pumping up regularly. Search on You Tube for compressor comparisons where actual times of inflation of tires with various brands of compressors are shown.

Last edited:
30 minutes for each tire?? That’s just torture.
Why not a better portable compressor?
I have a Viair 300, and can air my 32’s from 20 up to 35PSI in about 3 minutes each. The Viair 400 (440?) would be even faster.
And being portable has its advantages...the other night a daughter picked up a nail coming home from work. I grabbed my plug kit and compressor, drove to her and got her rolling in about a half hour..

I have the twin ARB and this pass spring, I did an overland trip with some friends, at the end of the trip, my ARB aired up 4 vehicles and 2 trailers, 20 tires one right after the other and never messed a beat.

30 minutes for each tire?? That’s just torture.
Why not a better portable compressor?
I have a Viair 300, and can air my 32’s from 20 up to 35PSI in about 3 minutes each. The Viair 400 (440?) would be even faster.
And being portable has its advantages...the other night a daughter picked up a nail coming home from work. I grabbed my plug kit and compressor, drove to her and got her rolling in about a half hour..
30-40 minutes total for all 4 from 18-38psi. Still horrible. But actually the compressor just blew two fuses in a row on Sunday so now it’s for sure time to get a new one. I’m not even gonna bother trying to troubleshoot. I’m actually strongly considering the Viair 300p or 400p. 3 minutes sounds amazing. I do want to hardwire it though under the hood. Just would be nice to not have to remove the battery cover and hook ups every time.

I have the twin ARB and this pass spring, I did an overland trip with some friends, at the end of the trip, my ARB aired up 4 vehicles and 2 trailers, 20 tires one right after the other and never messed a beat.
That’s good to know, definitely seems like everyone’s happy with the arb twin. I’d honestly love to get that one but it’s a bit over my budget at the moment.

I went through the same recently and ended up grabbing an Ironman. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. I couldn't justify the cost of the ARB + mount + installation.

That said, look at the Viair website. They have instructions for how to remove the base plate and mount some of their models under the hood (or wherever).

I went through the same recently and ended up grabbing an Ironman. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. I couldn't justify the cost of the ARB + mount + installation.

That said, look at the Viair website. They have instructions for how to remove the base plate and mount some of their models under the hood (or wherever).
Awesome, I’ll check the viair website, didn’t realize they had instructions. I saw that Ironman one and am considering it also, I think it’s the same as the smittybilt 2781? Are you gonna mount yours under the hood and hardwire it? Or just keep it portable and hook it up everytime?

Where do you see the instructions on mounting on the Viair website? Can only seem to find the user manuals for operating

That’s good to know, definitely seems like everyone’s happy with the arb twin. I’d honestly love to get that one but it’s a bit over my budget at the moment.
I got lucky, found one on Amazon that was recondition for about $75.00 off, when I got it, the plug was broke and would not work. I returned it to Amazon and they send out a new one with a $50-75 discount, great. That one came without being in a shipping package and the original box was ripped apart, lucky only a couple of bolts and nuts where missing, but another $75 off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom