Events/Trails Mount Ord cleanup - TRAL event - Postponed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's true to a point, water control features can be used to slow or prevent major erosion in normal circumstances. After a fire, the water load increases exponentially. It becomes difficult to predict where it will go and what it will move. On a small scale, you can guess and take measures to alleviate it, but when you're talking about almost 5 miles of shelf road the job becomes unmanageable, even if we had unlimited resources. The threat is not just to the trail surface, but even more the potentially unstable ground above and below it, which we don't have the means or ability to do anything about.

Pandemic and area closure aside, we could go in and make some small improvements to shore up some spots, but it would be a complete waste of time if one or more sections of shelf road completely disappeared later. The Apache Trail is a good example of what can happen after a fire- massive amounts of material on the trail, and sections of it fell down the mountain, just gone. No amount of preventive maintenance can stop that kind of destruction.

Don't we have a Geologist and a Geological Engineer in the club?

I'd be happy to just get out for some clean-up in Tonto. It has seemed like traffic/camping are way up in some areas and litter is noticeably up with it. If there are some areas that could be identified for a litter removal/clean-up where traffic has been high, I would participate. I just don't know where best to deploy.

I'd be happy to just get out for some clean-up in Tonto. It has seemed like traffic/camping are way up in some areas and litter is noticeably up with it. If there are some areas that could be identified for a litter removal/clean-up where traffic has been high, I would participate. I just don't know where best to deploy.
Natural Restorations is a great group that focuses on cleanups.

Sadly, I think you would need more of a civil engineer with a slope/soil analysis done in the area. I'm the crappy kind of geologist that could find out old the rocks are or even help you decide whether to drill an oil well there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom