Motor storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

I'm going to have a running spare motor to store sometime this year and want to figure out best practices for long-term storage before it arrives. It'll be a fairly complete 1FZ-FE without intake/exhaust. Will be in a non-climate controlled garage in Socal.

If it is going to sit for 5+ years, how do I tuck it in to avoid problems later?

Thanks!

Hardcore? Lol.
I just know this is where all the capable people are, but yes, softcore...at best ;)

In that vein, what does fog the cylinders mean? lol

I just know this is where all the capable people are, but yes, softcore...at best ;)

In that vein, what does fog the cylinders mean? lol
It’s aerosol, any parts store should have it. Normally you spray it in the intake with the engine running, spray till it dies, done. Just read the can and follow the instructions

With your engine not running, pull each spark plug and spray it in the cylinder liberally. Repeat for each cylinder. Manually roll the engine over several times and your done

It contains corrosion inhibitors which keep the cylinders walls from dying up and the rings from sticking

Google "VCI emitter"

VCI emitters in a thick poly bag will 100% prevent corrosion. I would probably pull the plugs and pour oil in the cylinders as well. Block all the head ports off.

I bought a good running 5.9 Cummins for my Superduty 4 years before I needed it. I stored it with tape over the intake in my home's 2 car garage. When I was finally ready to use the engine I found it was locked up solid. The tape came loose and a mouse had made a nest in the intake plenum. Mouse piss went into #6 cylinder and cost me another $3500 to rebuild it and delayed the project for months.

It’s aerosol, any parts store should have it. Normally you spray it in the intake with the engine running, spray till it dies, done. Just read the can and follow the instructions

With your engine not running, pull each spark plug and spray it in the cylinder liberally. Repeat for each cylinder. Manually roll the engine over several times and your done

It contains corrosion inhibitors which keep the cylinders walls from dying up and the rings from sticking
This is great. Thank you. Searching for "fogging" got me started down the path.

Google "VCI emitter"

VCI emitters in a thick poly bag will 100% prevent corrosion. I would probably pull the plugs and pour oil in the cylinders as well. Block all the head ports off.

I bought a good running 5.9 Cummins for my Superduty 4 years before I needed it. I stored it with tape over the intake in my home's 2 car garage. When I was finally ready to use the engine I found it was locked up solid. The tape came loose and a mouse had made a nest in the intake plenum. Mouse piss went into #6 cylinder and cost me another $3500 to rebuild it and delayed the project for months.
Cool. Thanks for that, I had only come across the silica dehydrator products. Some aviation products for pushing dry air through the crankcase seems promising, but also high maintenance (drying the beads every month or so). Good call on rodents. Watched a youtube of something similar last night. Sorry that happened. I would have lost my mind for a while over that.

I also read something about making block off plates for the intake/exhaust and filling the motor to the top of the cams with motor oil. That seems pretty fool proof for preventing corrosion, but maybe the old crank seals will start weeping with that much oil pushing against them. Dunno, but I do like simple overkill solutions. A couple seals and valve cover gasket will be easy/cheap to swap out.

This has been super helpful guys. Thank you!

Fog or fill cyldrs with oil. Then back off valve rockers so the valves will all be closed and pressure is released on the lifters. Reinstall plugs. Cap all oil and breather ports. Put a note on the engine that the rockers need to be readjusted, so you don't crank it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom