More B-diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
home.hccnet.nl
Have been inspecting the fuel (diesel) system for my 1978 BJ40 B-diesel lately. The maintenance manual says to inspect the water sedimenter every 20.000 km. I did and found out:
- if I pull out the plug nothing comes out. The water sedimenter is completely empty; no water, no fuel.
- there's a wire connected to the sedimenter. Where does it go and what is it's function?

Ton

Ton, I doubt the sedimenter is empty, probably the drain is plugged with rust and sediment. All the fuel must flow through the sedimenter unless the PO bypassed it. Take the plug off and poke a wire up there to free up the sediment. When deisel starts to flow without sediment put the plug back in. The wire goes to the "Filter" light on the dash.

I poked in there with a wire ... no obstruction; there's only air inside. So the sedimenter must have been bypassed by the PO. Should I restore this function, or is it OK to leave it this way?

I don't see a "filter" light on the dashboard. There is a lamp next to the brake warning light, but no (visible) text on it. Is that the one?

Ton

Personally, I would not want a deisel that did not have a water separator. Water in the injection pump and injectors is a BIG repair bill.
You may well be OK in Europe as there is enough deisel that it's likely all OK but if you venture into Eastern Europe the Mid East or Africa I would make sure it was working. I've only once had the filter light come on due to water buildup in the sedimenter and thats in 15 years and over 400,000kM of driving a deisel but freinds of my parents had it happen to their Peugeot and it was a $2000 bill 20 years ago!
There are aftermarket separators available as well. I'll be using a Racor brand one in the FJ55.
As for light location, those sort of things move around from year to year and model to model. My '82 and '84 "Filter" lights are not in the same location but they are orange and labelled "Filter". The '82 "Filter" light is next to the "Brake" light.

Thanks for your advise. I am not fond of such a repair bill ... Will try to restore the sedimenter. It still looks OK from the outside.

Ton

not the standard one too much other than the paper absorbtion. The fuel is meant to go from the tank to the filter first then to the pump/regulator/seperator assy, then to the injectors. I'm pretty sure that the diesel doesn't have a pre-pump like some petrols.

sam

I'd second that. I had a whole bunch of Racors that I was selling dirt cheap once upon a time but they are all gone now. I'm using a little 120 in mine, I like it alot. Here is a 230:
racor.jpg

The 120 will do the trick, they are about $55 USD from most dealers. Go to racor.com to find one locally. Also Steve Fox has an extra one that he'd sell for $50 shipped, if you need his email I can dig it up...

[quote author=dieselcruiserhead link=board=21;threadid=9112;start=msg81943#msg81943 date=1072774749]
... I'm using a little 120 in mine, I like it alot. Here is a 230: The 120 will do the trick, they are about $55 USD from most dealers. Go to racor.com to find one locally.[/quote]

Thanx for the pic! Handy that sight-glass at the bottom; so you can actually see if there's water. I will first look here locally. I've ordered parts before in the US, but turned out to be more expensive than I thought ... shipping, 19% dutch-VAT, import tax.

Ton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom