Moab Week of July 4 in an 87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’ll be the first big trip for the red wagon, and pretty excited. Outside of standard things of checking hoses, replacing worn drive belts, and make sure I’m stocked with plenty of water - what do I need to do to be sure the rig is ready for some challenges?

Last edited:
What is in your recovery gear and tire repair kits?

Biggest thing there is a healthy heap of self control and good judgment. You have high heat, so drink tons of water and watch your engine temps. Next, is be gentle on the throttle. Slick rock is more traction that you'll have anywhere else and that can really stress the drive line if locked. Lastly, be careful about transitions from sand to slick rock as you will go from spinning to not spinning very quickly. Otherwise, go, explore, have fun!

What is in your recovery gear and tire repair kits?
I’ve got a co2 tank and ARB tire repair kit... tried it out on an old tire in my back yard a couple times and feel I have the hang of it. Electric pump as backup / standard fills so I can still re-seat the bead if I have to...

Recovery is a hi-jack and an assortment of ropes / tethers for recovery and tow. Honestly I’m not the most knowledgeable on that stuff, so I tend to stay away anything too tippy or sticky.

Always carry vise-grips, sockets, extenders, pliers, and screwdrivers... along with blankets and plenty of water. Of course there’s duct tape and this crazy strong silicone tape... oh FSM’s too.

I guess being a Boy Scout carries over with being prepared in that sense?

I’m assuming that if the truck performs well in the valley and local trails I should be confident of the reliability in Moab?

I’ve got a co2 tank and ARB tire repair kit... tried it out on an old tire in my back yard a couple times and feel I have the hang of it. Electric pump as backup / standard fills so I can still re-seat the bead if I have to...

Recovery is a hi-jack and an assortment of ropes / tethers for recovery and tow. Honestly I’m not the most knowledgeable on that stuff, so I tend to stay away anything too tippy or sticky.

Always carry vise-grips, sockets, extenders, pliers, and screwdrivers... along with blankets and plenty of water. Of course there’s duct tape and this crazy strong silicone tape... oh FSM’s too.

I guess being a Boy Scout carries over with being prepared in that sense?

I’m assuming that if the truck performs well in the valley and local trails I should be confident of the reliability in Moab?

Don’t forget the fire extinguisher.

Being a Boy Scout carries over to everything in life if you ask me. ;)

As far as I know performance in the valley especially Sedona means good performance in Moab.

I'll be around the second half of the week. But I'll be on call maybe we can hit a trail close to town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom