Moab in May (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm headed to Moab for a long weekend in May (13th-16th). Planning for two days of wheeling.

This is my first time, what trails do you consider "can't miss" ??

We've got a small campsite south of the city. I figured a guaranteed campsite is less stressful than the first-come-first-serve sites that might be better.

Also, what should I bring that I might not bring on a normal wheeling trip with camping? I was planning to bring the RTT for sleeping, but do you think I'll want it on the roof while on the trails?

I would probably start with Fins & Things and Hells Revenge if it's just a long weekend. They are both close to town. It will be hot, so make sure your cooling system is up to snuff. I can't remember if there is anything too off camber on either so the RTT is debatable. As far as additional stuff to take, I am always pretty well loaded with common parts, belts, hoses, and fluids. Beyond that, a good map and plenty of time as you may have others on the trail too.. Its slick rock on those two trails so the grip is insane and a it's little unnerving how steep you can drive up, but they are both tons of fun with great views. Excellent first choices.

@ExpoMax has been there a whole bunch so he may have some thoughts too.

IMG_0689.JPG

I personally would leave the Rtt at home (or campsite) if you want to wheel. You can do Hells and fins with it, but it’ll feel more safe with it off the roof. I would also recommend Golden spike, Poisen spider, and Gold bar rim. You usually hit all three of those is one day, so it’s a long one (start early). Steel bender is a fun trail as well

Here's the local club's reference to trails in Moab.

Poison Spider Mesa is a great one--scenic and has some obstacles. Fins & Things is probably the "quintessential Moab" trail due to the steep up/down and bizarre feeling of driving on rock.

I like Gemini Bridges (access Steel Bender from here) because of access to Surprise Overlook (picture below), Bull Canyon, and hiking the Gemini Bridges.

20210321_154556.jpg

PS: How could we forget...Top of the World!

Also, there is A LOT of dispersed camping on the NW side of Moab. Lots of BLM designated sites (unimproved), too, but they're 10+ miles from Moab proper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom