Builds Mitsubishi 4D34-3AT3B diesel swap into 94 FZJ80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FourbyPoor - The compounds were done by SuperHatch, I believe he had stock head bolts. I am trying to cross the head bolts to ARP for my truck, I will post here. The dimensions I got are:

- 183mm length for the long bolts (bolt shank length, not including bolt head, studs would need to be 15-20mm longer)
- 123mm for the short bolts (same as above for length)
- M14X2.0 thread in block

I did not see anything available from ARP in M14X2.0 but they don't list this stuff individually on their site. I did find M14X2.0 threaded rod in 10.9 and 12.9 grade from McMaster Carr, it's available but would require cutting to length and relief machining if you want to do it right.

Last edited:
So, no luck on finding any studs that would work (ARP doesn't appear to have a dimensional data book available on their site, they do but only for smaller bolts). McMaster Carr does sell M14X2.0 socket head cap screws with 12.9 rating, which would be an upgrade over the stock bolts. That said, these engines have huge head bolts. The 4BD1T, Cummins 4BT etc all run 12mm bolts, these are 14mm. I have not heard of anyone having head gasket issues with this engine but there are few people hotrodding them. I think I'll run the stock stuff for now, and see how well it holds up.

So, no luck on finding any studs that would work (ARP doesn't appear to have a dimensional data book available on their site, they do but only for smaller bolts). McMaster Carr does sell M14X2.0 socket head cap screws with 12.9 rating, which would be an upgrade over the stock bolts. That said, these engines have huge head bolts. The 4BD1T, Cummins 4BT etc all run 12mm bolts, these are 14mm. I have not heard of anyone having head gasket issues with this engine but there are few people hotrodding them. I think I'll run the stock stuff for now, and see how well it holds upah ok

So, no luck on finding any studs that would work (ARP doesn't appear to have a dimensional data book available on their site, they do but only for smaller bolts). McMaster Carr does sell M14X2.0 socket head cap screws with 12.9 rating, which would be an upgrade over the stock bolts. That said, these engines have huge head bolts. The 4BD1T, Cummins 4BT etc all run 12mm bolts, these are 14mm. I have not heard of anyone having head gasket issues with this engine but there are few people hotrodding them. I think I'll run the stock stuff for now, and see how well it holds up.
oh i see..do you think 4d34t is much stronger than 4bt sir?

oh i see..do you think 4d34t is much stronger than 4bt sir?
I’m not Fromage, but based on what I’ve seen the STOCK Mitsu unit is stronger than the STOCK Cummins.

But with that being said, I think you have to consider the upgradability of both engines. The aftermarket for the Cummins is huge while the Mitsubishi has none. You can build a 4BT to make 500+ hp at 4500RPM and 1000+ lb-ft if you want.

The Cummins can make as much power as your wallet can afford. The Mitsubishi can probably go up to like 300hp in stock form but after that I think you’d really be pushing it. And getting it enough fuel to make much more power than stock is proving pretty tough according to @Fromage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom