Builds Mitsubishi 4D34-3AT3B diesel swap into 94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 4d34t doesnt have any glow plugs any other way to take compression test?

No glow plug holes, really?

One can also decern engine health and if it has decent/consistent compression by listening to how the starter cranks over.

Why are you checking compression?

Hi guys, I just wanted to say thanks for documenting these swaps! I'm looking to do this in the near future, in the process of getting a donor... My question for @Fromage, or @SuperHatch, or @Pacer, or anyone else, is has anyone sorted out the cruise control for this swap?

Thanks for all your input and resurrecting an old thread!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I just wanted to say thanks for documenting these swaps! I'm looking to do this in the near future, in the process of getting a donor... My question for @Fromage, or @SuperHatch, or @Pacer, or anyone else, is has anyone sorted out the cruise control for this swap?

Thanks for all your input and resurrecting an old thread!
My FJ62 never had cruise to begin with, so I did not pursue that.

I know where SuperHatch's truck is, and can ask the current owner.

I am sure it can be incorporated!

Good luck with your swap, notify me if you start a thread, and feel free to ask?

My FJ62 never had cruise to begin with, so I did not pursue that.

I know where SuperHatch's truck is, and can ask the current owner.

I am sure it can be incorporated!

Good luck with your swap, notify me if you start a thread, and feel free to ask?
Thank you sir! Any info would be much appreciated!

I’ve thought about trying to merge the speed sensor from the trans and combine it with the speed sensor from the t case. That should give the readings it needs, correct? Or is it two different signals. It seemed to me that the trans signal was a backup or secondary.

I never messed with cruise... I do remember looking at the OEM cruise system and there was a lot of wires from the cruise ECU to the engine ECU - I think it might not be easy to set it up.

Question for all you guys. I'm thinking of putting a mechanical pump in this, either a Bosch A based pump, or even a P7100. Would like to turn the fuel up and cracking the ECU is not something I've been able to figure out.

The only AW450-43LE application that runs a mechanical pump is the 4HE1 (superhatch had a combo of an earlier pump and later trans). I was thinking of using either the stock Fuso TCM as a standalone, or the 4HE1 TCM. The Fuso TCM does not get much from the ECM - There is a TPS signal form the pedal, and two feeds from the ECM, both shielded (I suspect they are speed signals).

Anyone have a 4HE1 wiring diagram that would show what the TCM needs to operate? I like the electronic governor, and am looking at using Cummins 12V injector tips to get more fuel, but I kinda want to see how much power one of these engines can put out. I've had a 4D34 apart right next to Cummins 12V and I would say the 4D3 is a stronger engine (bottom end, rods etc).

Another cool thing I learned is the 4D34 is being built under license by Hyundai/Kia as the D4D:

There are dozens of different fuel injection setups worldwide for the 4D3 engine - I have seen some with Zexel and Denso inline pumps both TICS and not, as well as rotary (VE) style as well. One of the options I am looking at is finding a 3rd world spec Bosch A series pump setup, either from a Hyundai D4dA or a 4D34 - It would be the same fuelling setup as a 4BD1T.

Hi all, just a quick update on this - I am looking into using an Isuzu 4HE1 pump as a donor for the mechanical governor and some other parts, to build a hotrod pump for my 4D3. It looks really promising, but I would really benefit from better understanding the 4HE1's control system. Some of the 4HE1 engines use a very simple timing advance mechanism, instead of the larger TICS- It looks like a one-wire setup.

If anyone has the engine/trans wiring diagram for an Isuzu NPR with the 4HE1-X engine or similar, please send me a note. I messaged astr and he thinks he has something, but he's away from home right now.

According to the info I found in superhatch's 4D3 swap thread, the 450-43LE TCM can be run standalone with nothing but engine RPM, vehicle speed and throttle position sensor... That means I could run a full mechanical pump.

It's a trick question because the mechanical trucks have the Jatco trans, not the AW450 one. I think finding an older Fuso truck (pre-1999 ish) and sticking the engine onto an A440F is a great option, but you would still need access to some AW450 parts (bellhousing, flexplate and torque converter).

My answer is going to change depending on what I find with the 4HE1 pump. It is looking promising, if it works it will be a really cool setup. Fully mechanical engine and standalone computer for the AW450.

It's a trick question because the mechanical trucks have the Jatco trans, not the AW450 one. I think finding an older Fuso truck (pre-1999 ish) and sticking the engine onto an A440F is a great option, but you would still need access to some AW450 parts (bellhousing, flexplate and torque converter).

My answer is going to change depending on what I find with the 4HE1 pump. It is looking promising, if it works it will be a really cool setup. Fully mechanical engine and standalone computer for the AW450.
Right, I was just asking in terms of engines specifically.

Do you think a stock A440F would stand up to a slightly turned up 4D34 though? I have been looking into purchasing one of the rare fully-hydraulic A442F's, but it crossed my mind that I could maybe just get an A440F and swap most of the guts out of my current electronic A442F while retaining the mechanical governor to make my own fully hydraulic A440/A442 hybrid (kinda similar to what @astr was trying to do with his Isuzu swap)

Right, I was just asking in terms of engines specifically.

Do you think a stock A440F would stand up to a slightly turned up 4D34 though? I have been looking into purchasing one of the rare fully-hydraulic A442F's, but it crossed my mind that I could maybe just get an A440F and swap most of the guts out of my current electronic A442F while retaining the mechanical governor to make my own fully hydraulic A440/A442 hybrid (kinda similar to what @astr was trying to do with his Isuzu swap)
I know you keep trying to talk with Fromage....

I have a turned up 4d34 running with no timing computer. It's attached to a a440 in my FJ62. The only modification I have made is an upgraded valve body from wholesale automatics in Australia.
Yes, for the last 35,000 mi the a440 has been very up to the task.

I know you keep trying to talk with Fromage....

I have a turned up 4d34 running with no timing computer. It's attached to a a440 in my FJ62. The only modification I have made is an upgraded valve body from wholesale automatics in Australia.
Yes, for the last 35,000 mi the a440 has been very up to the task.
It’s a public forum, everyone is free to discuss!

Does it shift okay? Did you do anything to modify the governor, or did you play with the throttle valve cable at all? Also are you using the stock torque converter?

I don't think you gain much from a hydraulic A442F versus an stock A440F. Pacer's swap is pretty bulletproof and you can't get much simpler than that. An AW450 has some advantages but it's a lot of messing around - It requires you to disassemble the trans nearly completely, and make spacers etc. For an FJ62 or an FJ80 that already has an A440F, I think his setup is killer. If you are starting with an FZJ80 that already has an A442F, the AW450 is probably worth it but even then, it's a major undertaking.

I have an FZJ80 with the 442 but I'm a luddite so I'm looking for something hydromechanical haha. Also going with a mechanical diesel and I've always thought that putting an electronic transmission behind a mechanical engine is pretty much a waste, as in my opinion the biggest advantage of an electronic automatic is in its ability to communicate with the engine.

I'm currently in the process of picking up an A440F out of an FJ80 + shifter off of the classifieds. I think I'm going to put an extreme valve body and lower stall converter on it and run it, if it eventually goes out then I'll have Wholesale do a full extreme build. I'm no stranger to building automatics (just got done building a 1000+ hp 47RH) but these units are a little more complicated than I'm used to and the guys at Wholesale seem to be pretty much experts on them specifically and do some stuff I couldn't do at home.

My biggest concern is with the shift points though, I might try to modify the governor. I haven't had one in front of me but based on photos it looks to be a centrifugal governor with weights in it, so taking a LITTLE bit off of each weight would allow them to be forced outward at a lower RPM.

It’s a public forum, everyone is free to discuss!

Does it shift okay? Did you do anything to modify the governor, or did you play with the throttle valve cable at all? Also are you using the stock torque converter?
Great questions!

I used the diesel torque converter as it is larger and fills out the diesel bell housing. It slipped right into the a440 and obviously bolts right up to the diesel's flywheel 👍

I got that torque converter and bellhousing off of an AW450.

A440 shifts fine, and these diesels Don't mind revving a little bit, probably 3800 RPM. I did not change the governor.

I did tighten the TV cable quite a bit. I modified the stock FJ62 throttle pivot, made a bracket to fit the diesel pump who's throttle does not turn as much as the 3fe's. Probably 90° versus 120° or so....

The valve body from wholesale automatics, increase line pressure, firmed up the shifts, and gave me converter lockup in third gear which is very useful!

Keep the questions coming, this is an awesome swap, 35,000 mi later!

Pacer, do you run an intercooler on your setup? Have you turned up the fuel and what kind of boost are you running? Just curious.

Pacer, do you run an intercooler on your setup? Have you turned up the fuel and what kind of boost are you running? Just curious.
hi sir sorry to interrupt i want to know if do you still have the cruiser with 4d34 engine?aside from compound did you change the head bolt ? im planning to so the same swap also..thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom