Minimum compressor for underbody gun... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
Threads
Gonna shoot bedliner on the lower half of my 62 using a cheap undercoating gun, somewhere around 40-60psi. I can manage 8.4 cmf at that psi with my current half-a$$, 2hp running, Crapsman compressor.
A 220v 2 stage comp with over double that flow is on my wish list, but the damn hose won't reach from the store all the way to my garage:doh: .
The bedliner has a pot time of 30 mins in 90 deg weather.........Is my comp gonna lag behind enough to get me into probs with 2 coats ( 3/16" dft) over 70 sq ft of coverage?

The manufacturer's rec is for 5hp or greater, but at 50-ish psi, that's what, 20 cfm? Unrealistic exaggeration, in my very inexperienced opinion.

Edit: Found that there really were ratings with the gun: operating psi 50-70 psi, and consumption 11 cfm. Will 8.5 ish keep up with 11 cfm demand in < 30 minutes?

Last edited:
Don't have a compressor answer, but what gun and bedliner are you using? I want to shoot my FJ40 as well and just have a some simple HF sprayers.

My compressor is okay for now, but that 220v dual-stage is on my list as well. Santa will be pretty busy this year...

Just try it with 1/2 to 3/4 pot full first.......cheaper than getting a new compressor....will take longer with many spray gun cleans in between.....but cheaper

it may be possible to go airless. Meaning you could rent one for a 4 hour stretch. Problem solved. I don't feel comfy not having a powerful air compressor using your current application.

Don't have a compressor answer, but what gun and bedliner are you using? I want to shoot my FJ40 as well and just have a some simple HF sprayers.

My compressor is okay for now, but that 220v dual-stage is on my list as well. Santa will be pretty busy this year...

Using this: www.rattleguard.com bedliner with the cheaper undercoating gun they themselves offer for sale. I could use my bro-in-law's hopper gun, but it surely would outrun my cfm capabilities, right?

Using an airless setup with the hopper gun (just as I would for stucco, I imagine).......This would work on direct to metal 2 part bedliner? Very thick stuff.

Update:
Went ahead and sprayed the bedliner with my present compressor, just had another 110v on standby, ready to spray while the 1st comp cycled.
Never even came close to needing the 2nd comp
The company was WAY overboard in their minimum recommendations.
Used a 'Shutz' type undercoating gun, and around 55 psi, and all went well. Did make a rookie mistake and let my air hose hit the freshly coated pass door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom