Minimum clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not really sure where to post this, but I ma going to purchase a 1973 FJ40 that has had an Spring over axle conversion on it. I am worried that the vehicle may not fit in my garage [standard 7 x 9 door]. What is the typical height of an FJ40 with hardtop after this conversion is completed.

Thanks in advance for help.

I don't think their is such a thing as a "typical height". It all depends on how the spring over was done, what springs were used, and tire size. I used stock 40 springs on mine and it would not fit into my 7' door the first year. After a year of wheeling and a little tweeking of my door, it did fit with the hard top on and 37" tires. Your best bet is to get out a tape measure and see.

good luck

I have a 2" lift on my FJ40 and it just cleared the door (7x8 door), but you may have to adjust the springs/garage door motor to have the door open fully. I would measure the opening and then ask the seller to check the height.

I have just completed a modification to my door to allow me to pull in the fj40 with the roof rack - increased the height opening by 8". Had to reframe the opening of the door, install new track, and I may have to replace the door motor. This was/is a summer project that has extended into fall!

The question needs to be " what is the height of my 40" not "what is the height of a 40". Just get out a step ladder and tape measure. If that doesn't answer the question then just drive very slowly and have someone watch the clearance as you go in.

or drive very fast and let the insurance co worry about it

And while you have the tape measure out, measure the height of YOUR door. It depends on how far up the door goes-some do not completely clear the door frame.

And while you have the tape measure out, measure the height of YOUR door. It depends on how far up the door goes-some do not completely clear the door frame.[/QUOTE

I had this same issue. My cruiser is SUA on 35's and a little over 7 feet tall with the soft top on. My old 1960's tilt up style garage door only gave me about 6 foot 10 inches of clearance and sat below the header when open. Had to remove the top, air down the tires and push the door up over the roll bar while backing in just to fit it in there, then had to air up and install a top every time I wanted to drive it; what a pain in the butt! :(
This Summer I removed the old door, installed the soft top and aired up in the garage so the cruiser was a it's normal height. Then I used a laser level on the highest point of the top to ensure I cut enough header out for clearance which ended up being about 4 inches. Went crazy with a sawzall and belt sander for a couple of hours until I could get the cruiser in and out without any issues. Reinforced the header then replaced the garage door with a 8 foot tall, roll up storage unit style door that locks from the inside and rolls up well past the header. After a little creative trim work and paint, the door looks great.
Very happy with the results, only draw back is I do not have the ability to remote open the door anymore. Hope you don't have to go as extreme as I did to get your cruiser to fit. I would have much rather spent the few hundred $ I paid for the door on cruiser modifications but I feel the time I save not having to air up and install a top every time I drive is worth it. Good luck! :cool:

thanks for the feedback guys. This is for a cruiser i am looking to buy and was just concerned about it. Looks like the SOA used was stock springs and 15" X 12.50 tires...and i believe they are 33" tall.

Worst case....i might be looking to trade axle set ups with someone.

I think i just have to go for it, as this FJ looks really clean.

582300_5284.jpg

Another option is to get some tire deflators and air down before pulling it in the garage. Bit of a pita but itll probably buy you a few inches. Reason I say deflators vs just airing down is you can set them and walk away after throwin em on, little easier than doin it manually.

D

"swam" it down the street today......this one will need some assistance...

I may ask for advice on how to tighten it up and probably looking to get off the SOA setup....go back to SUA...

Dude, my soad 60 series on 40" km2s fits into my 7' 2" tall garage w street pressure in the tires. Granted thats between 18 and 22lb but still she fits mint. Stare at your set up long enough and youll find a way lol. Im lucky to have a loft above the garage so I cut a hole between the joists, laminated both exposed joists with 2x10 s and ran the track straight up. Made a door between the joists for when the garage door is down. Took a bit of screwing around but before the mod I couldnt get my old stock 80 series on 33s in there and now all the tracks and springs that used to hang down are upstairs and the ceiling is flat.

I know every set up is different but sometimes you can make it work with a little ingenuity.

Btw soad 40 are frik8n super cool imo..

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom