Menmorial Weekend 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I'm planning on making a shimp udon stir fry Friday night for dinner, so Ive got it covered! I'm also bringing a couple tri tips to make Saturday or Sunday. If anyone wants to throw down, put it out there!

I just saw this. Looks like a Great place to hang out and maybe get some wheeling in. They are always looking for articles for Toyota Trails when you get back lets talk about getting something written up with photos to submit. Thanks Rob ( Western regional Rep TLCA )

So I'm planning on making a shimp udon stir fry Friday night for dinner, so Ive got it covered! I'm also bringing a couple tri tips to make Saturday or Sunday. If anyone wants to throw down, put it out there!
Looks like Justin has ALL the dinners covered :p I'm planning to do a fish fry Sat or Sunday night, you know... pending catching some fish! Will bring some sides as well.

Looks like Justin has ALL the dinners covered :p I'm planning to do a fish fry Sat or Sunday night, you know... pending catching some fish! Will bring some sides as well.
UMMM smoked lures sounds yummy. Calling fluorescent salmon eggs caviar is a stretch?

I just saw this. Looks like a Great place to hang out and maybe get some wheeling in. They are always looking for articles for Toyota Trails when you get back lets talk about getting something written up with photos to submit. Thanks Rob ( Western regional Rep TLCA )
Rob, I will make sure we try and get some good photos and document the camping, fishing and the wheeling we are planning on doing. The wheeling typically isn't challenging but it is very beautiful. Last year we couldn't make it very far because of the heavy snows from winter. I'm hoping this year that we get out in some of the back woods and see some of the lesser seen sites.

I got some rainbow Powerbait we could make appetizers out of, it looks yummy!

So I was thinking we take a little time to run a few trails on Sunday and make a run around the mountain. This trail isn't very challenging, unless they haven't cleared any of the fell trees from winter, then we get to play lumber jack.
Here is the route I was thinking about running, there are several off shoots we can check out along the way, maybe catch some views that I didn't know about.
Topo Map, Hiking Trails, Satellite Map
20190526_141727_resized_1.jpg

Although we only had about 1/2 of the crew able to make it, we we couldn't have asked for a better weekend up at Camp Nelson. The weather was perfect for camping, the days were in the 60's and the nights were cool, in the mid 40's. Unfortunately they had fire restrictions in place below 5,000 ft and where we were was right around 4,980 ft (even though my GPS was saying 5,018), so they didn't want to bend the rules, even though the Fire Marshall came through and said it was Ok to have camp fires :cry:. But fortunately we brought a propane fire pit and we were allowed to burn that, to have a little ambiance and warmth in the evenings.

They had just stocked the river with Rainbows a couple days before we got there so there was fishing galore. So even before camp was set up the poles were in the river pulling out some nice trout. Friday afternoon we just hung out around camp, took a short hike, fished some more and of course had to make a nice warm Chicken and Shrimp Udon Stir fry.

Saturday Morning we woke up and poles were back in the river, where the trout were a little hungrier than they were the previous afternoon. So needless to say we just pushed repeat and hung out around camp all day, but who can blame us when you have 2 honey holes and you can see the fish in the river from the camp site! So obviously after fishing all day we filleted up the dozen or so trout we caught and had a fish fry for dinner, complete with homemade potato chips, zucchini wedges and fried onions!

On Sunday we discussed driving to the top of the mountain to try and take some trails around the West side of the mountain, but after talking to the rangers they said there was still snow on some of the higher elevation trails and were impassible, like last year. So we opted to just hang out in camp again, where we spend the day fishing, hiking up the river and playing a couple games of Bocce Ball around the, at times, challenging terrain of the campsite. All in all it wasn't a bad plan B from wheeling and I must admit, was a much needed relaxing weekend hanging out with good people, beautiful views and great food.

I think everyone who brought their kids, got to let them make some new memories and let their adventurous imaginations run wild, from hunting bears with handmade carved spears, to learning how to start a fire using good ole flint strikers.

All in all good times, even if we didn't get any wheeling in, I still wouldn't trade it.

20200523_132322_resized.jpg

20200522_152258.jpg

20200522_174548_resized.jpg

20200522_151039_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom