May club run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I caught Covid, so I am going to have to bow out of this one. It would have been my first and was looking forward to it. I'll definitely go on a future one.
Hope it's not too serious and you'll be ok before too long. Don't need to answer if you don't want too. Vaxed?

Hope it's not too serious and you'll be ok before too long. Don't need to answer if you don't want too. Vaxed?
No - I didn't get vaxed. Not anti-vax - just anti experimental drugs. I wouldn't even do it for money in college when I was flat broke. I was down for the count for about 5 days, but have been on the mend for the last couple. Should be fully back by Monday or so.

No - I didn't get vaxed. Not anti-vax - just anti experimental drugs. I wouldn't even do it for money in college when I was flat broke. I was down for the count for about 5 days, but have been on the mend for the last couple. Should be fully back by Monday or so.
Good to hear you are getting better! That's all that really matters!!

Should your recovery goes ahead of schedule, join the fun on Saturday. It looks to be an easy ride on the main trail. Otherwise, get well and hope to see you next time.

Hi all - As of now, here are the check-ins from this thread:

DirtyRice Joe (camping)
Ttoner80 (camping)
occruiser97 (camping)
Travis1zero1 (camping)
elbobino
Mitch

As usual, there may be several others attending who've not checked in on this thread.

For those of us with Ham radios, let's use 146.535, as usual. See you tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM!

Last edited:
Hi all - As of now, here are the check-ins from this thread:

DirtyRice Joe (might camp Saturday night)
Ttoner80 (camping)
occruiser97 (camping)
Travis1zero1
elbobino

As usual, there may be several others attending who've not checked in on this thread.

For those of us with Ham radios, let's use 146.535, as usual. See you tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM!
I believe my buddy mitch is going also. Not sure about any camping?

Marc

Should your recovery goes ahead of schedule, join the fun on Saturday. It looks to be an easy ride on the main trail. Otherwise, get well and hope to see you next time.
Unfornately, it will be next time. Most of my symptoms have gone away, but I still need a lot of sleep. I'm looking forward to it!

Do we know if there are any fire restrictions? Also confirmed I will be camping overnight from Saturday to Sunday
I think we’re ok for a wood camp fire if we can find a ring. Here’s the forest service language prohibiting
“Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire except in a Forest Service-provided campfire ring or standing grill within a Developed Recreation Site. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).”

I think we’re ok for a wood camp fire if we can find a ring. Here’s the forest service language prohibiting
“Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire except in a Forest Service-provided campfire ring or standing grill within a Developed Recreation Site. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).”
Thanks! My grumpy pops and i spent today building a new storage/ sleeping platform so im stoked to test it out.

I tried to research fire restrictions. It's very confusing! I thought all open flame fires without a fuel shut-off valve were prohibited since May 2. Maybe if we find an available, established campsite, with a fire ring (like a Yellow-post site?), then we can have a wood fire?

I tried to research fire restrictions. It's very confusing! I thought all open flame fires without a fuel shut-off valve were prohibited since May 2. Maybe if we find an available, established campsite, with a fire ring (like a Yellow-post site?), then we can have a wood fire?

Sounds right Joe, established fire ring is good to go for wood burning. Fuel powered is good elsewhere.

Sounds right Joe, established fire ring is good to go for wood burning. Fuel powered is good elsewhere.
Unfortunately, that's not the case for anywhere in the SBNF. Further research yielded this:
"Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable campfire ring/pit, stove, or lantern in an area at least five feet from any flammable materials provided that the portable campfire ring/pit, stove, or lantern only burns gas, kerosene, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel, and has a shut-off valve." So, no wood fires, even in existing rings in developed sites.

Here's the BLM restriction for the non-SBNF area, as of 5/2/22:
Stage I Restriction: • Setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using open fire of any kind is prohibited, except campfires within approved fire pits and grills provided for in developed recreation sites, or campfires within the Imperial County Special Recreation Management Areas, or campfires within the Dumont Dunes Special Recreation Management Area with a valid California Campfire Permit. Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves and lanterns with shut-off valves,using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed and require a valid California Campfire Permit

Based on the above, I think any wood campfires are out for now. I don't have a propane pit. Bummer!

Well folks - The run was a good one. We clocked over 30 miles of mild to wild no asphalt travel. There was a little bit of everything.
The rigs rendezvous on the side of highway 18 and continued toward the trailhead. And air down for dirt. There was one FJ40, one well articulated ZJ, and the rest were FZJ80s. Rattlesnake Canyon started out mostly sand and gravel. The gravel turned into rocks, bigger rocks, and even bigger rocks - some can be considered boulders. Then we came to the beginning of Motino Wash. We all stopped and walked on to the wash. True to its name, it’s a washed out trail. There’s not really a trail just rather a continuous stretch of rocks and boulders. It would have taken too long for the couple rigs that wanted to take on the trail. Worse we then would then be separated from the rest of the club. The choice, and wisely so, was to stay together and continued on Rattlesnake Canyon to a lunch spot. Our intrepid trail leader found us some shade in the form of an abandoned cabin where we stopped for lunch.
The day was still young and so a drivers meeting was called to discuss options. Our trail leader suggested an impromptu excursion onto Heartbreak Ridge…

22D28B34-0B54-4C5A-8FA5-AC263260FD09.jpeg

Heartbreak Ridge was good for this old soul. We cruised over the rough terrains. A Forerunner and a Gladiator came up to trail our group the rest of the way. As we slowed to enjoy the magnificent view, we were reminded that we live in SoCal and folks are in a hurry to go somewhere. They honked to remind us.
As we connected with Burns Canyon, we parted ways with those who came for the day run. Five of us camped the night under the stars and the watchful eyes of the those who traverse the PCT.
1F866A92-9D1A-4F6F-9B03-7388E6F9C9F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom