Massachusetts Registration - 1967 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I just bought a 1967 FJ40 and trailered it to my residence in Attleboro, MA. Any advice on how to register it in Mass? I am looking to use it as a weekend driver primarily, but may drive it to work in RI a few times when the weather cooperates. It is in good shape, so I have no real worries about it passing an inspection, however only the driver seat has a lap belt. I'm not well versed in the Massachusetts inspection requirements and what year seatbelts (and/or 3-point belts) were required, so I'm not sure if this is going to be an automatic failure. I am planning on adding a lap belt for the passenger seat later on, but would like to leave the bench seats without. Just looking to see what other people have done with registering theirs. I am thinking of doing either a normal registration or using Year Of Manufacture plates, as long as the restrictions on when you can drive your vehicle aren't too prohibitive (or strongly adhered to by to general public ;)). Thank you for the help! Happy to be part of group.

Rhody

One thing I have learned about annual inspections: they are never consistent. You have to find the right shop that will accommodate what you are driving. When I was DD my SAS'd and mildly lifted Toyota pickup, most shops wouldn't even look at it, they turned me away for a sticker. Then I found one that was fine with it, because it was actually totally 100% legal and met all the rules.

In NH, they are supposed to put the vehicle up on a lift, look it all over, check the brakes, lights, etc. The guy I use now slaps the sticker on in the parking lot, mostly because he trusts me. Anything that is obviously a violation (dark window tint, tires sticking out, excessive lift, rust holes in the cab) should be failed, but otherwise the shops do have some leeway to interpret the rules.

I suggest you go over to the Yankee Toys sub-forum (local Cruiser club), ask about a FJ40-friendly shop in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom