Marlin's Toybox

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cruiserman, Jan 12, 2004.

1. cruiserman

cruiserman

Can someone explain Marlin's toybox to me :)? I've got a sm465 and a mini t-case. Does the Toybox simply act as an adapter between the 2, or does it provide a gear reduction also?

thx, eric

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Adapter and gear reduction.

My understanding is that it is to be installed between the transmission and the existing t-case, for additional gear reduction...

Have you been to his site?

http://www.marlincrawler.com/dual_toybox.html

-Steve

3. cruiserman

cruiserman

Yes, I have. Just couldn't follow all the options. It shows a front portion and a rear portion plus a complete assembly. Does the complete assembly come with whatever tranny and t-case are listed (ie sm465 and TLC t-case)? That seems insanely cheap to get all that for $999.

thx, eric

4. theferg

theferg

Media:
    Nope, IIRC it's just the toybox and the adapters.

-Ferg-

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I am pretty sure his goal was to keep this right around a grand...

Sound right to me.

-Steve

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

If you are already adapted to a toy-mini T-case you just need a doubler set-up.

7. cruiserman

cruiserman

No, I'm not. I've got a sm465, np205, and centered rear. I want to toss the 205 and its adapter to reduce drivetrain length. I've got a spare mini t-case laying around (or will on Wed). I want to know if the Toybox provides an additional reduction over my mini t-case.

thanks

8. hammerhead

hammerhead

Yes, it does. It's a doubler. What t-case are you planning to run?

9. NWcruiser

NWcruiser

Ok, what the toybox is, is the reduction housing off a mini truck tcase. Then you get adapters for what ever you are adapting to. If you are running a mini truck tcase then all you need is the doubler set up( two reduction housings). I'm just got done installing my toybox. I went sm420-toybox-splitcase. That is the shortest way to go that I know of. The split case has no extra reduction housing, all reduction is in the case. o yeah and no parking break on it.

10. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr

I am eventually planning this as well. The toybox seems like one of the easiest ways to get insanely low gearing. The kits are a little confusing, but the forum on his site is very informative.

For my application I need the SM420 to mini-truck adapter and the mini-truck to 3sp FJ xfer adapter. I think the current pricing is around $780. I already have the mini-truck case.

7.05 1st
    2.28 mini-truck
    2.31 FJ
    4.11 diff gears

152.61:1 final crawl ratio

Maybe this summer :D

11. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    you end up effectively with two t-cases. You adapt the toybox to the tranny with adapter 1, and the toybox to the 2nd t-case with adapter two. The Toybox has 2-3 different gearing options as well.

I've got a minicase (toybox adapter ready) and a 60-series split case on the shop floor....once my link suspension work is done and tested, that's next on my list.

Marlin is also testing a really sweet modified Toyota minitruck transfercase that allows front wheel drive only....I know SpaceGhost is awaiting release for his competition Cruiser (currently getting Rockcrusher D60's installed)

12. cruiserman

cruiserman

Thanks for the replies. I have a t-case out of an '81 mini. How painful will it be to mate it to the Toybox? I want 465->toybox->mini t-case. Any thoughts on how the length of this combo will compare to a np205 w/adapter to sm465?

thx, eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.