Marietta Trip Poll (1 Viewer)

Marietta Trip Poll

• March 4th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 11th

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad you made it. We tried to stay with you guys but the highway was calling to the old girl and she wanted to run. Putting a V8 in the 100 series was one of the best things Toyota did with that series.

Hey I thought Justin and I were doing pretty good cruising along at 70mph. And BeBe wasn't even hitting 3k rpm, she was happily sitting around 2600rpm (slight downslope I am assuming).

Photo gallery here:
BBCNN Bass Camp 2017 - William Berry

So it turns out we should have kept going the first time we turned around, when we were going almost due west from Marietta, and the return trip brought us back there. Our second attempt just to the south of the first ended when we could no longer see any trail in that creek bed. The third attempt ended with a desert rat yelling at the rest of the group? I wasn't present so somebody please elaborate on that one.

Last edited:
Hey I thought Justin and I were doing pretty good cruising along at 70mph. And BeBe wasn't even hitting 3k rpm, she was happily sitting around 2600rpm (slight downslope I am assuming).

Greg if I'd known you were leaving the 60 behind due to gas I'd have given you 4 gallons! I never got into the 8 that I brought.
Though maybe I should have:

Fill-up at Hawthorne was 23.6, meaning I had something like 1.5 left. The Ultragauge said I had 1.9 left.

LOL yeah I filed up with 15 gallons even in Hawthorne, think the 60 tank is 18 and my gauge was fluctuating between 1/8 and 1/4 after we hit walker lake. All good though, just something else to think about for trips like these. Really I should have filled up when we first met up in Hawthorne, for some reason I thought Marietta was closer than it was.

I need to look into a setup for mapping this kind of stuff. Would love to be able to find some random spots.

Last edited:
Glad to hear eveyone made it back, Zach and I ended up staying at 20 mile beach on walker lake since we had to go back to Hawthorne to get gas. Bummer but i hope to get out to Gabbs soon. We happened to stumble upon one of the deepest shafts that I have found. With a fall time of 5-5.5 seconds recorded on the iphone, we calculated that the shaft was 400-500ft deep. Pretty crazy stuff, we also found a bunch of air shafts that were sunk that entered into the mine as well. Upon looking at the ore body, I believe that they were looking at gold as a primary ore and copper as the secondary ore. Tertiary ores could have been silver and lead i think too. For those of you were wondering.

Great trip with great weather. We could have done without the blue route part of the trip. At least from this experiance I learned not to trust 8 year old memories of a trail. We should have just trusted Will and his GPS. The trip would have been much shorter and better. I owe Will a pitcher of :beer:for doubting his directions.

That being said it was nice to get out and share some time with fellow crusierheads. Camping at Walker lake was awesome. Moonlight lit night over the lake and sandy tent sites and a great fire=winter rehab.

Last edited:
PM sent..
Also, found this while looking up a NV Atlas... the main site is actually a quadrant site that you can click on the quadrant and then explore the area of that quadrant. We were in quad 8-9 about middle of it...
https://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/quad0809.pdf

Going to have to run to Barnes & Nobles the next time I am up in Reno to grab one of these.

Hi all...

How is the weather out that way right now? Does the back country have snow over the passes? We're planning a trip for a few days in a couple of weeks...

:cheers:

Weather in nice today but ANOTHER :eek: storm is on the way. Passes still closed to the south. I would guess anything over 7000 will be impassable til end of June. Hwy 80 and 50 are fine. Most trails in the Sierra are still snow bound. Some predicting not usable til July.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom