March Club Run to Petroglyphs and then Bronco Canyon (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will, the little media posting thing on the top doesn't work for me either with Flickr. I just post the BBCode link and that works it seems. Nice pics and see we have another Canon user.

Wow, that's one more rig than I thought! Mark busted a birf (Mark chime in?), and I think Adrian did too. I thought I blew my PHH, but it turns out it was a loose coupling that blew coolant everywhere, then stopped. Sheesh, maybe we should have called this Bad Karma Run! Either way, it was a blast, and the scenery was breathtaking.

Wait who broke what in the Bronco group?

Me and Iceaxe. I grenaded a Birf and he had a coolant hose pop off. My was a real pain since none of my spares fit into the knuckle. So out in two wheel. Rusty to the rescue with a tow. I was good we were almost out. But ruined the day for many by trying to fix it. Hope everyone had fun despite the carnage.

Wow, that's one more rig than I thought! Mark busted a birf (Mark chime in?), and I think Adrian did too. I thought I blew my PHH, but it turns out it was a loose coupling that blew coolant everywhere, then stopped. Sheesh, maybe we should have called this Bad Karma Run! Either way, it was a blast, and the scenery was breathtaking.

Wait what? Adrian busted a Birf also? What a day!

I'm actually annoyed with myself that I misdiagnosed the problem. I really should have stayed to see the birf repair- never seen one, and it's kind of a must have skill when out on the trail. :(

I wish I could have made it!!
Even with the carnage tally.... It would have been interesting to see MARK w/ a trail break!!!

Well, I spoke too soon. I either blew a U joint, need to rebalance my tire, or reset my wheel bearings because I'm got a wicked vibration going at 50 mph that wasn't there before....

Yeah looks like there is something lingering for me. Got a strange stumble at idle. Doesn't happen when warming up but once warmed up she stumbles a bit when idling... Thing it might be my PCV line the goes from the EGR to the PCV (rubber line not hard line) as that one is cracked already, so wondering if the crack just expanded causing a larger vacuum leak at idle. Waiting for response from Onur as to if they are still available or NLA.

Other than that steering is all back together now and seems to be good. Need to do a couple more adjustments to pull things in "just right".

Thanks for a great day everyone. Jeff and his son had a good time in spite of the transmission troubles.

I found someones CB antenna in Bronco while we were working on Marks truck.

I got off lucky in the carnage department, my truck overheated half way up the first grade behind the HS. Easy fix I just pulled the cardboard off the radiator. Ol Rusty ran on the low end of normal the rest of the day.

Sounds like the Jeep was the only one with the debilitating damage. Any word from Jeff on if they worked on it to see what the issue was?

Ok, figured out 'some' of the vibration issue... the front wheel had a ton of play in it due to lost preload on the bearings. Fixed that but still have a low frequency vibration that I believe is either the drive shaft or U-joint....

I'm actually annoyed with myself that I misdiagnosed the problem. I really should have stayed to see the birf repair- never seen one, and it's kind of a must have skill when out on the trail. :(
Smart man!!
Knowing your axles/ seeing others repair their axles is a HUGE benefit on the trail!!
If you're wheeling pretty regularly, it's only a matter of time before its YOU!!
Everyone has their day of being "that guy"!
What makes the difference is how you handle it and how prepared you are for the task. The best practice is always safely in your garage or looking over the shoulder of a friend/ fellow wheeler vs. a crash course on the trail.

Keith

Well, my story ain't over yet... We'll see soon enough what the rest of the damage is. I noticed gouges in the metal of the rear drive shaft and think that's where the trouble is. Probably from when I turtled the rig then sat and spun...

Smart man!!
Knowing your axles/ seeing others repair their axles is a HUGE benefit on the trail!!
If you're wheeling pretty regularly, it's only a matter of time before its YOU!!
Everyone has their day of being "that guy"!
What makes the difference is how you handle it and how prepared you are for the task. The best practice is always safely in your garage or looking over the shoulder of a friend/ fellow wheeler vs. a crash course on the trail.

Keith

Thats what bothered me most about my break is that I had the parts to fix it but they wouldn't go back together. The birf was too big??? So what should have taken about 1.5 hours took 3 and I still had to be towed off the rocks in 2 wheel. So I guess make sure the parts fit before you break. I am wondering if forcing some turns when it was locked up with the broken birfield piece may have damaged the knuckle balls? I ordered a new spindle as the threads were all bungered up. Will be tearing apart and fixing this wknd.

See if this link works. Here are all my pics from my "normal" camera plus a few from the phone.
Lagomarsino Petroglyphs 2016

Nice pictures Greg. New repair is looking good. I know that is OME on the way that the steering arm is connected to the drag link but it just looks weak. Does anyone make a better option? I know the break was probably due to age and not design but dang it just seems it should be designed differently.?

Well, my story ain't over yet... We'll see soon enough what the rest of the damage is. I noticed gouges in the metal of the rear drive shaft and think that's where the trouble is. Probably from when I turtled the rig then sat and spun...

Maybe have it re balanced or re tubed if the candy cane or gouges are deep. Anytime there is any kind of dent or indent it really weakens the metal and integrity of the D.line. Sorry your having that problem. Welcome to rockcrawling. I thought you did great by the way. I kinda lost track of you after I broke. Had my nose in my axle. Sucks!

Yeah the break was definitely age, 99% sure those were factory. All of them were severely rusted on there with lots of "years" all over them. So it was just a matter of time before they went. And the steering had seemed a bit "weak" last couple of weeks and so I had prepared to take care of it anyways. Glad it happened out there in a simple section vs on the street and veering into traffic.

No OME on the way, looking at keeping stock-ish since I am not running a huge lift or nasty beefy tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom