Main and big end bearing replacement in situ - 12HT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

my sump has a light leak/weep somewhere and I want to get it off, painted and fresh sealed.
And I have a slightly low oil pressure when hot, still alright wsm-wise but borderline.... the previous owner rebored and fitted new pistons - but left the old bearings as they were "still good". I wasn't impressed back then....
Now its the perfect time to check them and I wonder if it's possible to get the seventh bearing cap off or is the rear crank oil seal holder bolted into it ? I've searched here for a while but can't find anything for the 12ht.
Also - to get genuine bearings in their possibly different std sizes in this country is a major problem as they have to come from Japan, according to the main dealer here. ACL ones are direct available but only do one std size. Thoughts ?

Anybody done it ?

Also - to get genuine bearings in their possibly different std sizes in this country is a major problem as they have to come from Japan, according to the main dealer here. ACL ones are direct available but only do one std size. Thoughts ?
Ask Engines Australia

Hi guys,

my sump has a light leak/weep somewhere and I want to get it off, painted and fresh sealed.
And I have a slightly low oil pressure when hot, still alright wsm-wise but borderline.... the previous owner rebored and fitted new pistons - but left the old bearings as they were "still good". I wasn't impressed back then....
Now its the perfect time to check them and I wonder if it's possible to get the seventh bearing cap off or is the rear crank oil seal holder bolted into it ? I've searched here for a while but can't find anything for the 12ht.

Anybody done it ?
Yeah, I did mine over the summer. My bearings were pretty horrible.

Big thing is somewhere around 87-88 they changed the big ends. The early ones are the same as 2h, after that the tab changed sides and they don't have the oil hole. Thickness is another matter.

Mines an 89 and I had quite a f around getting the right ones. Had to learn once the engine was out and on a stand, so there was a lot of waiting for the wrong parts to show up from a supplier that seemed to know what he was doing, but actually didn't have a freaking clue.

Engines australia do seem to know what they're doing. They'll probably ask for the numbers stamped in your block.

All the caps came off.

Thanks for the response.
I've just checked again in the manual: oil pressure @ idle minimum 0.3 bar or 4.3 psi - which is really not much....
I get 18 or 19 psi on my mechanical gauge at normal hot idle. So still alright - not borderline as I felt.
My factory gauge is telling me that it is not enough - and while knowing that these gauges are not to be trusted its still always in your view.
I`ll try to calibrate it when there is a rainy sunday.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom