Magruder 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My original plan was to loop back to ID via the Lolo Motorway, which I understand is similar to Magruder. Opted to stick with the group, enjoy the company, and see parts of MT I hadn’t visited before. When we split up, went back through the Park to the Lamar Valley, Cooke City and Red Lodge. Then back to CO via Cody and Lander.
Nearly 3,000 miles of seat time over 12 days. Best of many mods over 10 years was F150 captains chairs with adjustable lumbar!

E130254D-F515-4EE7-B934-CE888192CBF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Oooooooh I see why the dust was manageable with proper spacing it rained!!! Damn when we did it was hot and very dry I think I would have had to stay back about a 1/4 mile from the cruiser in front of me to not get dusted out! I am happy that you had rain to pack it down for your trip, IMHO that is the only way to do that trip in a caravan. Thx for sharing the pics!

That picture was post Magruder and after an overnight in Darby. Sunny days on the Corridor before the post-Darby rain (and snow) and dust was still very manageable for those with a little patience and common sense. I wouldn't let that worry deter anyone from making this a bucket list trip.

Last edited:
Your good, just magical!!!

Last edited:
The wife and I are planning to drive the Magruder this year. It looks like the majority of people go in August. Is July too early? What are the fuel options on the west end? What are the best side trails to explore and the best day hikes to do along the way?

The wife and I are planning to drive the Magruder this year. It looks like the majority of people go in August. Is July too early? What are the fuel options on the west end? What are the best side trails to explore and the best day hikes to do along the way?
Elk City, ID is the fuel stop on the west side of the road. July should be fine depending on snow conditions this winter, it might even still be damp enough to keep the dust down. We went up to the Hells Half Acre tower a couple years ago when we were up there, cool side trip with some killer views.

I’m interested in the river down there, should be some good fishing.

Do I need more than 1 jerry can in a 40? I've got the 16.4 gallon tank and I get 13+ mpg on normal gravel roads.

Do I need more than 1 jerry can in a 40? I've got the 16.4 gallon tank and I get 13+ mpg on normal gravel roads.
I think I could make it across to Elk City from Darby in my 40. That being said, I would plan on at least one can, maybe two.

I could possibly help you out if you need it.

I think (which is a bit scary) that my absolute maximum range, without jerry cans, is 217 miles. That should be more than enough, but that's assuming mileage doesn't change with altitude, terrain, or speed, which it does. So maybe I just plan for 2 cans and then I don't have to worry about it.

I see there was a write up in this issue of trails

I think (which is a bit scary) that my absolute maximum range, without jerry cans, is 217 miles. That should be more than enough, but that's assuming mileage doesn't change with altitude, terrain, or speed, which it does. So maybe I just plan for 2 cans and then I don't have to worry about it.
Hit me up if you’re coming over, I might be willing to make the trip across if I’m not already out in the backcountry. As of right now I’m planning another trip into the Bob Marshall and another trip into the Yellowstone backcountry.

I'm hoping to get a trip to St. Anthony in shortly after they open too. After a year of work from home, the wife and I are planning to put our vacation time to good use this year.

Its only like 75 miles or so of actual dirt. The rest is paved or gravel road between the gas stations. I like to have more than I need so I can enjoy the views and explore without fear of running out of anything. I would like to spend a few days in there doing side trails and hikes. It was a really great drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom