Machine shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
As the title says, I need a machine shop to work on my diesel's block. H&H's go-to guy is out indefinitely and the one who does his marine work backed out at the last minute for fear he would ruin something.

Who do y'all recommend? My rig has been down for a significant amount of time. In the time it has been down, I have been collecting parts and what not to outfit it as an overland, and I am eager to get things on it, and get Overlanding.

Cheers!!

What's wrong with it. BEBs never got done?

You are going to find a lot of shops that won't touch it for the same reason. I think Marshakk had issues finding shops to work on Eric's H diesel. You may have to expand your search. Talk to Tor, he has most likely touched more 1hdt engines than any other US shop.

Last edited:
Auto Machine Shop in Fayetteville

What's wrong with it. BEBs never got done?

You are going to find a lot of shops that won't touch it for the same reason. I think Marshakk had issues finding shops to work on Eric's H diesel. You may have to expand your search. Talk to Tor, he has most likely touched more 1hdt engines than any other US shop.
It overheated, blew the headgasket, and when Dean took the head off, he saw two small cracks on two cylinders. I got him sleeves and all the gaskets, but the block needs to be machined. Unknown about the BEBs. When I had the timing belt service done along with radiator, belts, and hoses, I had the coolant flushed and filled again, and there was a lot of gunk and corrosion. It appears that whomever owned it in the Canaries, only ran water(!). Who is "Tor" and where is he out of?

It overheated, blew the headgasket, and when Dean took the head off, he saw two small cracks on two cylinders. I got him sleeves and all the gaskets, but the block needs to be machined. Unknown about the BEBs. When I had the timing belt service done along with radiator, belts, and hoses, I had the coolant flushed and filled again, and there was a lot of gunk and corrosion. It appears that whomever owned it in the Canaries, only ran water(!). Who is "Tor" and where is he out of?

Torfab he's by me in Everett. Might be too far for you to ship but he would do the best work I could think of. Even not he may know a shop that's more local for you to suggest.

If you don't know if the BEB's have been done, do them now while the other stuff is being done. Its the one major issue with those motors.

Or just give it to me... that works also ;)

Talk to Johnny he may know a local shop also that isn't afraid of working on a rare diesel like that.

Torfab he's by me in Everett. Might be too far for you to ship but he would do the best work I could think of. Even not he may know a shop that's more local for you to suggest.

If you don't know if the BEB's have been done, do them now while the other stuff is being done. Its the one major issue with those motors.

Or just give it to me... that works also ;)

Talk to Johnny he may know a local shop also that isn't afraid of working on a rare diesel like that.
Just curious, what really makes the 1H-T rare? I get that the HDJ-80, is rare, but the engine?

I forgot Johnny's screen name.

Just curious, what really makes the 1H-T rare? I get that the HDJ-80, is rare, but the engine?

It was never available in the US, which equals hard to find local parts, replacements and high $$$ for it.

Even since they hit 25 years old and HDJs arrived becoming more common they are still very rare compared to other diesels in a market that doesn't have a lot of diesels in it to start with.

The 1hz-t was not a motor that Toyota made. 1hz-ts are 1hz motors that people added turbos to in the aftermarket, either with some company like safari turbo, or with parts from the 1hd-t. In j8x chassis, Toyota made:

1hz
1hd-t
1hd-ft
1hd-fte

@AndrewHadji knows of a good toy diesel shop in GA.

I meant 1HD-T. Damn keyboard on my Note 9!!

1hd/t/ft/fte are rare due to the years they were in production. Of all the aforementioned, the 1hz is the only one you can purchase in a new vehicle today.
1hdt - 1990 - 1995
1hdft - 1995 - 1999
1hdfte - 1998 to shortly after the v8s become mainstream.

oddiron in GA is one of only a handful of shops that have a mechanic that rebuilds all of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom