Machine Shop Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S4Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
For those following my yellow truck build, my F135 needs main bearings...at a minimum. Figured I'd then have the head magnafluxed, valve job, blah blah blah.

THoff in Raleigh has been the only shop I've used, mainly b/c all the other shops around this area all directed me to them. They've done a 2F head and 2 flywheels for me previously, both in a reasonable time frame and what appears to be decent work.

...well, not any longer. I went there to drop off my already torn down, stamped, bagged and tagged long block earlier today. I was surprised when the guy working the front hinted at it likely taking a while to get done, sure, fine, I'm (semi) reasonable. A couple months is what I was expecting, but not so much...turns out they just aren't interested in doing the work (without saying they aren't).

Couple zingers from a very short (5 mins) conversation with the 'front guy':
- I seriously recommend you swap in a 350, that's what everyone does these days.
- We had one of these in before and it took us a year to finish.
- These 3 main engines are just not that desirable (3 main...ok, sure).
- We can't do the cranks, we've got the machine but no one knows how to use it.
- Times these days are just tough, you know.
- We can store it for you if needed.
- If you want us to take a look, we can work around it for six months or so and maybe get to it.
- We need 3 more employees.
- Our building is too small and we are having trouble taking on work and not getting it done, but we could store it outside.

He then asked if I wanted them to do it? Yeah, no...but thanks! Honestly, it's a blessing in disguise they conveyed incompetence and lack of willingness to work on it at the beginning vs the end.

Moving on...so I need recommendations of a machine shop that is
1. willing to work on older toyota / chevy inline 6 engines
2. is competent and knowledgeable regarding the above
3. can complete some (what seems to me) fairly stratightforward machine work in a reasonable time (~3 months)
4. is within a 6 hour drive of the RDU area

Cost is not that much of a concern. I'd rather do it right and pay a fair price vs building based on budget.

Hit me with suggestions

Lucky......
I had to learn the hard way of incompetence....

Fairly sure @Trollhole could do that

but don't quote me ;)

i'd say it was good that you got this up front instead of 3 months down the line.

Lucky......
I had to learn the hard way of incompetence....

Fairly sure @Trollhole could do that

but don't quote me ;)

i'd say it was good that you got this up front instead of 3 months down the line.

Totally agree!! At first I was pissed that I wasted a couple hours to drive there and back...I have since come to learn just how lucky I was/am!

So here is Barry McCoins old referral in greensboro I used with the old pigs 2f build. His shop is full of I6's and mostly bmw stuff. Im pretty certain he built the 13bt that went into Barry's 40. I was pleased with the work minus the timeline but it was my first experience with a bigger project and not sure if i goofed by saying im in no rush or had unrealistic expectations. It would be worth a call to Jamie but i would not say youre in no rush though. Super nice guy as well and an easy on/off of 40 at wendover.

Google Maps

the other I have used as well as Alex was Ronnie at RnB machine in HP

Google Maps

Dr Bo's in d'town gso has done some light press and machine work for me(3fe exhaust manifold for 2f) and was fine but his son took over so theres some experience lost and they kinda goobered up rices head at the seats when removing valves I believe. He sanded it out but wasnt impressed

Last edited:
The guy both @stevezero and I used in Madison might be a good one to talk to. I can get you some contact info if you want.

The guy both @stevezero and I used in Madison might be a good one to talk to. I can get you some contact info if you want.

Please - PM. I’ve got a couple to call.

Huge thanks for the help from everyone!

I used John West Auto in Raleigh for my 2FE. Top notch work, and it didn't take THAT long to get the work done, but honestly there were headaches that I encountered as well. Several instances of "two weeks", and then my encounter with John himself was very unpleasant when he failed to understand why someone might need to know a couple of days in advance when a project is ready for pickup , from a company that isn't open outside M-F 8-5. The machine shop guy was top notch and super cool.

@mtweller used john west, or james west, to build his 2FE shortblock. Motor runs great, said he didn't have the best experience with them though.

One minute late, lol

I thought I might add Steve Asheworth in Fuquay-Varina. I've never used them, but my neighbor who races dirt track modifieds said that he's a good machine shop and engine builder. I've talked to Steve on several occasions, he's cordial but ornery. Customer service is not his forte. From what I've heard, it's a good idea to give him a clear idea of the scope of the work needed and to get an estimate in writing.

@SeanLX and @fourtrax Have you guys had any experiences with Steve Ashworth?

not really any experience. I have been in the store about five or six times over the last 10 years for one reason or another and he's never had anything I could use or provide any help.

No one else in Fuquay had it either, in all fairness.

Last edited:
I went in Ashworths a long time ago too but haven't needed anything either.

I did use Boyette's Automotive downtown a really long time ago. They've been in the business a long time and would be worth checking out.
Boyette's Automotive Machine Shop

I went in Ashworths a long time ago too but haven't needed anything either.

I did use Boyette's Automotive downtown a really long time ago. They've been in the business a long time and would be worth checking out.
Boyette's Automotive Machine Shop
Boyette's place looks really cool. I always mean to go in there and check it out. What did you have done by him?

The did the work on my 5.0 mustang block but that was 20+ years ago.

Doug (the son) was roomates with a buddy of mine and we used to hang out some. He's been working there longer than that and I'm thinking there isn't much they haven't worked on before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom