M100 Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a CVT Denali tent a while back and put it on my LC and while it was cool having it on there for trips, getting it on and off was the biggest PIA i've ever experienced. The tent weights over 300 LBS and you either have to have 6 guys or a gantry to get it on or off. So I found a nice little M100 in really good condition and my friend is helping me with building a frame stand for it.

So far these are the conditions of the build.

1. Easy to remove and put onto the trailer or any M100 or similar trailer. (My trailer had a tailgate in it when I bought it, the previous owner made the mod and did a decent job of it). If there's any marketable interest in this we're going to maybe try to sell these.
2. Drawers, and a bedslide. I'm still debating if I want to put my fridge in the trailer or leave it in the LC.
3. Battery, Generator, and solar capable.
4. Remotely operated with manual override.
5. Actuators must be easily removed in case one goes bad and has to be replaced.
6. Adaptable, if you look at the frame, the ends are left open intentionally so we can use brush guards, gas can mounts, fishing rod, canoe, kayak holders, etc.
7. The main thing is to be able to remove it from the trailer when required without any tools or people.

The frame was done on CAD and stressed tested. My friend is an engineer by trade and he designed it to be light weight but strong.

The frame is not anywhere near finished so any comments are greatly appreciated. We're both new to this and welcome the help and knowledge you can give. Pictures are probably out of sequence.

123_1(1).jpg

123_1(2).jpg

123_1(3).jpg

123_1(4).jpg

123_1(5).jpg

This was in the design phase, it's changed a few times since then, but this is how it was tested. I wanted to keep it as light as possible so the smaller tubing is more than strong for it's intended use. If I'm missing something, please tell me asap.

The bedslide will be built with c channels and bearings and the we're still working on the drawer design. I want a canopy trunk lid as a cover, but we're still working that out.

I will have a Rhino Batwing on the driver side as well. Can't wait to get this done!!!

We will be adding independent suspension to the trailer down the line and extending the tongue. It's so short right now, that backing it up is kinda hard.

thumbnail.png

I picked up a CVT Denali tent a while back and put it on my LC and while it was cool having it on there for trips, getting it on and off was the biggest PIA i've ever experienced. The tent weights over 300 LBS and you either have to have 6 guys or a gantry to get it on or off. So I found a nice little M100 in really good condition and my friend is helping me with building a frame stand for it.

So far these are the conditions of the build.

1. Easy to remove and put onto the trailer or any M100 or similar trailer. (My trailer had a tailgate in it when I bought it, the previous owner made the mod and did a decent job of it). If there's any marketable interest in this we're going to maybe try to sell these.
2. Drawers, and a bedslide. I'm still debating if I want to put my fridge in the trailer or leave it in the LC.
3. Battery, Generator, and solar capable.
4. Remotely operated with manual override.
5. Actuators must be easily removed in case one goes bad and has to be replaced.
6. Adaptable, if you look at the frame, the ends are left open intentionally so we can use brush guards, gas can mounts, fishing rod, canoe, kayak holders, etc.
7. The main thing is to be able to remove it from the trailer when required without any tools or people.

The frame was done on CAD and stressed tested. My friend is an engineer by trade and he designed it to be light weight but strong.

The frame is not anywhere near finished so any comments are greatly appreciated. We're both new to this and welcome the help and knowledge you can give. Pictures are probably out of sequence................
I like the idea of the actuators raising & lowering it to the desired height, but I have a couple questions. Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you "remove it from the trailer when required without any tools or people." - or load it? Secondly, you say "The frame was done on CAD and stressed tested. My friend is an engineer by trade and he designed it to be light weight but strong." I don't see any gussets or diagnal supports. I see the uniquely designed top cross bars that I'm not sure why they're made that way. But, IMHO road vibration and stress would require more support. How does your friend explain that part of the design?

I like the idea of the actuators raising & lowering it to the desired height, but I have a couple questions. Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you "remove it from the trailer when required without any tools or people." - or load it? Secondly, you say "The frame was done on CAD and stressed tested. My friend is an engineer by trade and he designed it to be light weight but strong." I don't see any gussets or diagnal supports. I see the uniquely designed top cross bars that I'm not sure why they're made that way. But, IMHO road vibration and stress would require more support. How does your friend explain that part of the design?

That cad drawing was in the early stages of design. We're still not done with it like I stated above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom