LX570 USB Retention Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATwoZ

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this a shot in the dark, bit any older (2010) LX owners do a USB port retention?

I picked up the grom audio box and it's been great; however it doesn't appear to have any USB port retention cables, which has turned into routing some long USB cables in some not so clean ways.

I originally thought this would be easy and picked up both the TY1 and TY2 variant adapters that are common, but neither seems to be a match for the wiring that was removed from the back.

Here are some pictures of the two connectors I disconnected during install.

Any ideas?

IMG_20210116_133337.jpg

IMG_20210116_131553.jpg

IMG_20210116_133259.jpg

IMG_20210116_133430.jpg

IMG_20210116_133449.jpg

The Ty plugs are under the cupholder

B84FFC67-C95B-45CD-B218-FBA6753A31D2.jpeg

I can't seem to type in the above post, but it plugs into the box on the underside of that grey plastic cover on the left of the photo (closer to the passenger side). Although the photo above is with the entire console removed, you can access it by taking out the cup holder (pull straight up).

I can't seem to type in the above post, but it plugs into the box on the underside of that grey plastic cover on the left of the photo (closer to the passenger side). Although the photo above is with the entire console removed, you can access it by taking out the cup holder (pull straight up).
Gotcha, maybe I'll give it another shot and unfish my other cable

Gotcha, maybe I'll give it another shot and unfish my other cable
Any chance you ever worked this out? Installing Grom in my 2010 as well and looking for correct adapter.

I seem to be lost with your question.
GROM emulates USB interface on the factory radio, thats why you see its interface appear when you press USB button on your factory radio.
There is not way as far as I understand to make the factory USB connectivity feature coexist with GROM. Now this being said and out of the way.

I am assuming you are asking about reusing the center console USB port for GROM:
I was able to reuse the USB port in center area beside the shift lever to connect the USB device to GROM. It took a bit of tinkering but finally I got the USB cable from
GROM under the center cup holder and removing the existing connecter of the USB port and use the GROM USB cable to get fixed there.
After doing all of this, I realized its not worth the effort as USB connection to Carplay is not efficient compared to carplay over wifi. whenever you disconnect and reconnect its creating some issues and the charging capability was also not as strong as a typical carcharger. The only use I see is if you want to load songs or movies and play them in GROM then this could make sense.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I seem to be lost with your question.
GROM emulates USB interface on the factory radio, thats why you see its interface appear when you press USB button on your factory radio.
There is not way as far as I understand to make the factory USB connectivity feature coexist with GROM. Now this being said and out of the way.

I am assuming you are asking about reusing the center console USB port for GROM:
I was able to reuse the USB port in center area beside the shift lever to connect the USB device to GROM. It took a bit of tinkering but finally I got the USB cable from
GROM under the center cup holder and removing the existing connecter of the USB port and use the GROM USB cable to get fixed there.
After doing all of this, I realized its not worth the effort as USB connection to Carplay is not efficient compared to carplay over wifi. whenever you disconnect and reconnect its creating some issues and the charging capability was also not as strong as a typical carcharger. The only use I see is if you want to load songs or movies and play them in GROM then this could make sense.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I was specifically talking about whether the PAC USB-TY2 worked with the a connector under the cupholder. I see your point on it not being all that useful for car connection. I thought it might be a better way to have remote usb for anything else you might want to plug into the GROM, not that i really have anything in mind. Just don't like having dead weight in my dash. If the ports there, I'd like it to do something.

Yes, I was specifically talking about whether the PAC USB-TY2 worked with the a connector under the cupholder. I see your point on it not being all that useful for car connection. I thought it might be a better way to have remote usb for anything else you might want to plug into the GROM, not that i really have anything in mind. Just don't like having dead weight in my dash. If the ports there, I'd like it to do something.
So the GROM unit does support wireless carplay?

So the GROM unit does support wireless carplay?
Yeah, it's pretty trick. You connect with bluetooth, then carplay on the phone does a handshake with the grom and establishes a wifi connection between grom and phone. Your phone can still use it's cellular for data.

Not worth the tinkering and hacking required to make the USB female fit into the PAC USB-TY2. You literally need to dismantle and remove the existing socket and push GROMs USB Female.

I think you can route the GROM USB to under the cup holder if you need to connect something quick.

Yeah, it's pretty trick. You connect with bluetooth, then carplay on the phone does a handshake with the grom and establishes a wifi connection between grom and phone. Your phone can still use it's cellular for data.
At times I had a issue where the carplay is stuck when you switch between USB-Carplay and wireless carplay. I was told the trick is to enable bluetooth again and let the wireless carplay connect again. To avoid this issue, I stopped using USB Carplay and bought a good usb-c charger to charge my phone instead of relying on the usb port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom