LX470 Suspension Upgrade Torsion Bar Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you. My concern was that AHC was an option on the 2000 Landcruiser and i end up getting the same torsion bars i already have If picking the wrong Part number.

(Since you don't seem to have a location in your profile, I probably should have clarified that my statement above about "AHC on Land Cruisers" may only hold true for US market Land Cruisers )

Thank you in USA. If anyone knows for sure that would be great.

AHC according to PartSouq, or I guess I could dig up some AHC bars in the garage and take a picture of them too:
1599959993603.png

Non-AHC based on a picture, of a set I have in the garage, (extrapolated to 48162-60030 & 48161-60030):
1599960108012.png

OE @ $820 new:
1599960685713.png

1599960752652.png

Vs
OME @ $315
Amazon product ASIN B003CEW4J6
or

SAW @ $213

Torsion bar AHC/non-AHC/Aftermarket diameters:

Last edited:
What does everyone recommend after market or Toyota OEM? Any real difference? Does anyone have any personal experience with a particular after market brand?

Any recommendations?

1st choice, a pair of second hand (low mileage) Land Cruiser torsion bars (if you can find them).
2nd choice, the thinnest aftermarket torsion bars (OME).
3rd choice, the cheapest aftermarket torsion bars (SAW).

If you are not planning to add weight to the truck (add heavy steel bumper or winch or underbody armor etc.) go with a pair of used OEM Land Cruiser torsion bars. Put a wanted ad in the classifieds.

As for strutmaster shocks - they are probably ok for about 40k miles on mild street driving. I would recommend buying all new OEM Toyota shocks, they are relatively affordable at $200 for all 4 and work admirably well.

I do have a pair of LC torsion bars and a pair of front Toyota OEM shocks with just 8k miles that I can send you for next to nothing, PM me if you are interested.

Recommendation wanted:

I kept the AHC on my 2004 LX470 and decided to add steel front bumper plus winch, which is about 200lb additional weight at the front end. Should I replace the OEM torsion bars with something else? like what?

Thanks!

You really need to check the AHC pressures. If you can keep the pressure within specs by just turning the TB bolt or re-indexing them then there is no need to buy heavier version.
Having said that, could you be so kind to put a caliper on your torsion bars and post here the width? I am trying to figure out if the TBs on my recently bought AHC equipped truck are beefier than OEM.

You really need to check the AHC pressures. If you can keep the pressure within specs by just turning the TB bolt or re-indexing them then there is no need to buy heavier version.
Having said that, could you be so kind to put a caliper on your torsion bars and post here the width? I am trying to figure out if the TBs on my recently bought AHC equipped truck are beefier than OEM.
Good point! Will go through that process.
Will go under the car after work to check the diameter of the TB.

Just measured the OE TB on 04 LX470, and the diameter is 25.5mm.

everything @jLB and @ClassyJalopy said.

Unless you plan on adding weight, you just want factory TB's from a Land Cruiser. Anything else will probably make the ride too stiff.

Just measured the OE TB on 04 LX470, and the diameter is 25.5mm.

I think your TBs are plenty enough to cover for a steel bumper.
For comparison: I am running the same 25.5mm AHC TBs and I have just a few additional pieces installed:
  • Ironman steel bumper
  • Warn 12000lb winch with synthetic rope
  • Dual batteries
  • Slee front armor plate
  • WKOR steel sliders
  • Gamiviti full-length steel rack
  • More towards the rear
    • 40G LRA tank
    • ARB steel bumper with dual swing outs
    • steel Tundra 18" spare with 35" wheel
    • ARB single drawer
There's prolly other stuff I am not recalling right now, but the point I am trying to make is that the OEM AHC bars seem to hold all of this wait just fine. I just checked my AHC pressures (with temp sensor unplugged) and I have 6.0 mPa front and 2.1 rear (ignore the rear for a moment).

For reference: Ironman TBs are 32.5 mm and Toyota LC TBs are 29.0 mm wide.

I think your TBs are plenty enough to cover for a steel bumper.
For comparison: I am running the same 25.5mm AHC TBs and I have just a additional pieces installed:
  • Ironman steel bumper
  • Warn 12000lb winch with synthetic rope
  • Dual batteries
  • Slee front armor plate
  • WKOR steel sliders
  • Gamiviti full-length steel rack
  • More towards the rear
    • 40G LRA tank
    • ARB steel bumper with dual swing outs
    • steel Tundra 18" spare with 35" wheel
    • ARB single drawer
There's prolly other stuff I am not recalling right now, but the point I am trying to make is that the OEM AHC bars seem to hold all of this wait just fine. I just checked my AHC pressures (with temp sensor unplugged) and I have 6.0 mPa front and 2.1 rear (ignore the rear for a moment).

For reference: Ironman TBs are 32.5 mm and Toyota LC TBs are 29.0 mm wide.
Definitely I have much less weight than yours, and I'm confident the stock TBs should be good enough for me. Do you have to swap out the stock rear springs?

Never mind. I saw you have the LC springs for the "Story of Blue".... :p

If you are not planning to add weight to the truck (add heavy steel bumper or winch or underbody armor etc.) go with a pair of used OEM Land Cruiser torsion bars. Put a wanted ad in the classifieds.

As for strutmaster shocks - they are probably ok for about 40k miles on mild street driving. I would recommend buying all new OEM Toyota shocks, they are relatively affordable at $200 for all 4 and work admirably well.

I do have a pair of LC torsion bars and a pair of front Toyota OEM shocks with just 8k miles that I can send you for next to nothing, PM me if you are interested.
Long shot, but are those OEM front shocks still kicking around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom