LX470 stereo options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005 with the Mark Levinson system. I love the clarity but it gets kind of lost in the mix on highway trips and i'd like some more volume but retain the quality of sound.

I'm wondering if anyone has swapped theirs out and what they used. I've explored speaker options but I'm thinking a full replacement may really do the trick if possible.

Search FAQ and Google. Maybe possible but in no way will it be easy. Climate control is in your Nav, meaning you would need a different ECU and/or different wiring to swap to a diff double din. There are a few write ups on swapping speakers out. That would be your best bet. Even swapping out the factory amplifier is not an easy task. There are some good threads on here and on clublexus about this topic

Thanks, I'll keep searching (only really found speaker info so far). I'm hoping that since the head unit is separate from the nav that I'll be able to just switch out the deck and leave the nav screen alone.

Swapping speakers alone won't do anything to help. You'll need an amplifier to crank out more volume, but like Reno said, swapping out or bypassing the factory amp isn't easy. Been there, done that.

His speakers are 8 year old factory speakers. Chances are they are half desinigrated at this point, so just swapping new speakers in might make a big difference. I think the MLs in my 05 are tired and I plan to replace them this winter.

Yeah, It's tough I looked into it as well for a while as the factory nav is a great selling point when your looking at buying your LX until you realize how limited it is in some aspects. I believe one guy on clublexus gave it a shot and ended up getting so deep into it and frustrated he gave up. If you have the $ to spend I would take it into a audio shop as they are familiar with installing aftermarket systems into cars that have built in nav, amp, and other audio system factory options. However, on my 2000 4Runner before adding a double din into my factory stereo I went to an audio shop and purchased a small adapter for fairly cheap. What it does is tap into one of your door speakers positive and negative output cables. It then transforms that into an RCA output so that you can install a aftermarket amplifier while still retaining your factory system and volume controls and so on. All I did was install it into one of my door speakers and ran the RCA outs to the rear and added a 5000 watt amp and 2 subs. Worked decently. Probably not the best sound quality option but if you are wanting more volume anyways you are usually going to sacrifice some aspect of your sound. Wish I could remember what the adapter is called im sure if you fished around you could find it.

Yeah, It's tough I looked into it as well for a while as the factory nav is a great selling point when your looking at buying your LX until you realize how limited it is in some aspects. I believe one guy on clublexus gave it a shot and ended up getting so deep into it and frustrated he gave up. If you have the $ to spend I would take it into a audio shop as they are familiar with installing aftermarket systems into cars that have built in nav, amp, and other audio system factory options. However, on my 2000 4Runner before adding a double din into my factory stereo I went to an audio shop and purchased a small adapter for fairly cheap. What it does is tap into one of your door speakers positive and negative output cables. It then transforms that into an RCA output so that you can install a aftermarket amplifier while still retaining your factory system and volume controls and so on. All I did was install it into one of my door speakers and ran the RCA outs to the rear and added a 5000 watt amp and 2 subs. Worked decently. Probably not the best sound quality option but if you are wanting more volume anyways you are usually going to sacrifice some aspect of your sound. Wish I could remember what the adapter is called im sure if you fished around you could find it.

Wouldn't you accomplish the same thing using high level inputs on the amp?

Swapping speakers alone won't do anything to help. You'll need an amplifier to crank out more volume, but like Reno said, swapping out or bypassing the factory amp isn't easy. Been there, done that.

If you put in more efficient speakers, it could. Particularly if the factory ones are on their way out. Though an amp plus speakers is the better way to go.

This is sort of a variation on what I thought about doing with my LX.

My problem: the exceedingly-prone-to-defoam Levinson speakers have a very "unusual" ohm rating (either really high or really low - I can't remember which), so I wanted to replace them with something better. However, that's where the issue of the remaining factory system came into play.

My perceived solution: couldn't you just use the signal in the following way (I'm an electronics novice, but I did something like this using the factory "sub" signal in an 80 to use with an Infinity BassLink - worked like a charm!) Use the signal coming out of the factory amplifier and run it into an aftermarket amplifier. Then, use the "corrected" signal coming out of the aftermarket amplifier and run it into "normal" speakers / sub. (I just figured if you used the factory system as just a source, the amplified signal could be used to power normal/upgraded speakers)...........that's probably too simple to work, but it seems like it would. (It seems like this JL audio concept would allow that to work http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-oem-interface Am I thinking right on this?)

Comments?

Wouldn't you accomplish the same thing using high level inputs on the amp?

Ummm, don't really get at what you're saying maybe if you could explain a bit? Are you saying running your aftermarket amp into the stock to give it an extra push basically? If so that probably is not smart, you could very easily ruin your whole system or worse cause a fire.

If you read the write up on replacing the factory sub with the Audiopipe like another member did (sorry for no shout out I forgot who did the install and write up) you will have to add a resistor to increase the ohms.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/282462-how-replacing-oem-subwoofer-3rd-row-4.html

Someone even quoted they cant turn it up to max before making their ears bleed. Lol So if bleeding ears is what your looking for, as well as detail, just read this write up, it is very informative and will show you what others have done and different options.

On my 2001 LX 470 Here's what I put in:

Amp: Alpine PDX-5 to power the whole lot (for you base-heads out there this won't be enough for your subs). It fits nicely under the passenger seat. I wired it to the battery through the large rubber grommet near the glove box with some thick cable, and zip tied it around the engine compartment to reach the battery.
Front: Alpine Type R 6.5" (SPR60C) with new tweeters in the pillars. Wired through the door wiring using a coat hanger, and under the carpet to the amp.
Rear: Alpine Typre R 6.5" (SPR60) - these required custom panels to be mounted. I made them from MDF very easily. Wired through the door wiring using a coat hanger, and under the carpet to the amp.
Sub: Pioneer Shallow mount 10" (TS-SWX251) with box that lives in the trunk. Wired under the carpet.
Head Unit: Pioneer AVIX X930BT (required a custom plexigalss surround to be made). I ran the USB cable and headphone hookup to a plexiglass piece that mounts where Slee's CB radio hanger would otherwise sit (blank faux-wood pannel that snaps out on the radio facia).

My levinson stereo was shot... replacing individual components is useless and costs more than my whole system did (~$1000 CAD).

Hope this helps someone!

On my 2001 LX 470 Here's what I put in:

Amp: Alpine PDX-5 to power the whole lot (for you base-heads out there this won't be enough for your subs). It fits nicely under the passenger seat. I wired it to the battery through the large rubber grommet near the glove box with some thick cable, and zip tied it around the engine compartment to reach the battery.
Front: Alpine Type R 6.5" (SPR60C) with new tweeters in the pillars. Wired through the door wiring using a coat hanger, and under the carpet to the amp.
Rear: Alpine Typre R 6.5" (SPR60) - these required custom panels to be mounted. I made them from MDF very easily. Wired through the door wiring using a coat hanger, and under the carpet to the amp.
Sub: Pioneer Shallow mount 10" (TS-SWX251) with box that lives in the trunk. Wired under the carpet.
Head Unit: Pioneer AVIX X930BT (required a custom plexigalss surround to be made). I ran the USB cable and headphone hookup to a plexiglass piece that mounts where Slee's CB radio hanger would otherwise sit (blank faux-wood pannel that snaps out on the radio facia).

My levinson stereo was shot... replacing individual components is useless and costs more than my whole system did (~$1000 CAD).

Hope this helps someone!
Based on your description, I presume your '01 LX is a non-nav car? If so, your upgrades would be possible. However, for those of us who have the HVAC, audio, etc., none of that's possible

Ummm, don't really get at what you're saying maybe if you could explain a bit? Are you saying running your aftermarket amp into the stock to give it an extra push basically? If so that probably is not smart, you could very easily ruin your whole system or worse cause a fire.

If you read the write up on replacing the factory sub with the Audiopipe like another member did (sorry for no shout out I forgot who did the install and write up) you will have to add a resistor to increase the ohms.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/282462-how-replacing-oem-subwoofer-3rd-row-4.html

Someone even quoted they cant turn it up to max before making their ears bleed. Lol So if bleeding ears is what your looking for, as well as detail, just read this write up, it is very informative and will show you what others have done and different options.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

There are primarily two types of inputs on most aftermarket amps - low level and high level. Low level has RCA inputs and takes an unamplified signal. High level has terminals for speaker wire and takes an amplified signal.

Low level is preferred because it's getting a cleaner unamplified signal and therefore lower levels of distortion. The problem is that very few stock head units have low level outputs, so there's no way to connect to them.

So high level inputs come into play. These are designed to be connected to speaker wires and allow you to connect an aftermarket amp to systems that don't have low level outputs. The downside to this method is that the new amplifier is going to amplify any distortion that the first amplifier introduces into the signal. How much of a problem this will be depends on the quality of the stock amplifier.

That box you had was a line output converter and basically attenuated the amplified signal so that it could be used with low level inputs on the amp. However, introducing extra items into the signal path isn't good, and they tend to be pretty inexpensively made, so it would be better to just go straight to high level inputs on the amp. The only time you would want to use one is if your amp has only low level inputs. You would need a LOC in order to use it. If you're starting from scratch, it would be best to buy an amp with high level inputs instead.

That thread you referenced was about using the stock amp to power a new subwoofer. As mentioned in a later post in that thread, adding resistors probably isn't the way to go there. Better to find a different driver that is of the correct load.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like switching out the stereo is gonna be a nightmare I don't want to have. It looks like I'll be heading back to just getting new speakers. Considering the PO blew the sub, I'd imagine they're pretty tired and due for retirement.

Installed a usaspec bt35 into the factory system and a jl amp and 10 inch sub.

Happy man!

Looks like my simple system on my 2007 1HD-FTE is the best

image-1319594451.jpg

I am pretty sure I can put in a fancy radio with nav etc because my radio is separate to my A/C system, my advice would be look into a new dashboard from Toyota Japan like this one if you want to change, then look into any system you want, but I have been looking into a lot of options , and a 7 inch screen google nexus or iPad mini or something similar would work well with any system, along with a wireless hard drive and that leaves huge options for back seats etc Amps and speakers etc there are plenty options in mud threads
image-1319594451.jpg

Great info here... i've got a 2004 ML with factory nav and climate controls. Just got off tech support with crutchfield and it looks like the line output converter is a legit option for me to keep all the factory controls AND add an aftermarket amp, sub, and speakers. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom