LX470 Rearview Mirror Help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some advice on removing my 2005 LX470 rearview mirror. It has the standard rattle and is loose on the mount. I have read all the posts and it seems pretty straight forward but I cannot get the main center screw to loosen or tighten on mine. Anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get it loose without stripping it?

If you do not have a JIS bit, I found a #1 Philips fit much better than the standard #2 Philips in the rear view mirror screw. Apply a lot more pressure than you think is necessary while turning and it should come out.

I will try again. I was laying into it pretty good and was worried I would crack the windshield. If I cant get it loos e I will find something to wedge behind it that isn't noticeable to try and make it quit.

You might try a bit of penetrating oil and let it sit for a couple hours or even better a day. Also, there could be a chance that someone installed it with a thread locking compound such as Loctite. If you think this is the case, you might try putting the tip of a hot soldering iron on the head of the screw for a while to weaken the locking compound, however that particular screw has a pretty good distance between the head and the thread if I remember correctly, so heat may take a while to get to the thread. If there is enough room to grab the outside of the head with a small vice grip, that sometimes can help get more torque on it.

I had this same issue where I knocked mine off loading something long into the truck this summer and it hasn't been the same since. It rattles and falls off.

Until I have time to fix it, I reseated the spring clip as best I could but it never held enough tension on the mirror to the base plate so it bounced. I cut and wedged a piece of an old gift card in there and it's like-new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom