LX470 - Keep original through bumper tow hitch, or go with under bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I need to replace the rear bumper on my 2005 LX470 that has the "through the bumper" hidden tow hitch from the factory. I have purchased the parts, including new bumper cover, hitch cover, and retainers for the removable cover, but I'm second guessing cutting the hole in my new bumper cover. From what I can tell from pictures, the 2004's and 2005's almost all had the "hidden" receiver while newer and older ones went with an under bumper tow bar.

I don't intend to do any towing (and I don't own the required adaptor) so I'm leaning on just keeping the smooth cover and MAYBE putting a "normal" receiver hitch below.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Wait until you need to tow something and then just go have one installed. They’re not super expensive and you can get the work done in about 2 hours.

Until then you’ll save a little weight and have a cleaner looking truck. The only downside is that the hitch is probably you’re only/best recovery point.

Trailer hitch story and off-roading. I'm lifted 3.5" in the rear. All was good and I could clear rear obstacles and rocks until I reinstalled the factory hitch. Now I drag on the factory hitch when driving the more aggressive off-road trails. I will need to move up to a 4.5" lift for the rear or change to a bumper with an integrated hitch.

Wait until you need to tow something and then just go have one installed. They’re not super expensive and you can get the work done in about 2 hours.

Until then you’ll save a little weight and have a cleaner looking truck. The only downside is that the hitch is probably you’re only/best recovery point.
Thanks for the reply, I think that's the direction I'm headed...

FYI, there is a factory hook on the left frame rail that could be used for recovery if needed.

On my 80 I do like the extra protection that an aftermarket under bumper provides (it can still be a through receiver rather than a hanging one). So whenever I'm scraping out back I'm thinking "Yea! another crunch avoided!"

I tow a 3500lb camper. After I bought my 05 LX470 I realized that the bumper receiver won't support the use of a weight distribution setup. I ended up having a frame mount receiver installed so I can tow up to 6000lb using weight distribution. Not that I'll get that close in lbs but using weight distribution makes all the difference when you're towing a camper down the highway in traffic and wind. So now I've got two receivers, which looks kind of goofy, but I may install a shackle hitch into the bumper mount just to have a place to tie the back of my canoe or kayaks down to. I know I can't really use that receiver as a recovery point, but it will at least look kind of cool while allowing me to secure my boats. And there's nothing wrong with a little vanity now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom