Builds LX450 where to start! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can't see from that photo what type of Dyno is being used there. DynoJet to DynoJet is apples to apples (sort of based on settings), but a Dyno Dynamics is load based and will always yield a lower whp number. Where I came from in the tuner car world people played games with dyno settings all the time to manipulate numbers. I'm not saying this is the case here, just saying its hard to be really accurate unless the 3 setups were compared on the same dyno on the same day on the same settings.

I have an LS2 swapped 350Z and it makes a bunch more whp on a Dyno Dynamics than 227rwhp. LS2 is a few more cubes than an LS1, but the truck above isn't even running 4wd. That driveline loss must be staggering. My swap is stock other than an intake, headers and 3" exhaust with no cats. Guess I just expected more from the LS, but regardless I like the turbo idea on the stock motor more I think.

Surprised that someone hasn't tried a remote turbo where the spare tire mounts. It's not ideal for wheeling, but moves the heat further back.
@2KCruiser did.
DIY Turbo V1.0, Boosted 80 = Happiness

I wonder what trans the LS1 80 in post above was running?

I'd be interested to know that as well. However, I can't imagine it's likely to have more parasitic draw than @scottryana has through his A343, unless it's an older 80 with an A440 or A442 adapted to the LS.

Pretty sure it was a 4L60E with Mark's adapter to 80 series part time.

I'd be interested to know that as well. However, I can't imagine it's likely to have more parasitic draw than @scottryana has through his A343, unless it's an older 80 with an A440 or A442 adapted to the LS.

Last edited:
Mike here are the maps I am running.

I have settled on these to give myself great power but still be fairly easy on the stock, rods, pistons and bearings in the 160,000+ mile bottom end. In your setup with forged rods and pistons you shouldn't need to taper boost at all.

First is my Air to Fuel map. I have keep it fairly close to 14.7:1 in Vacuum but taper to 11.5-11:1 as boost builds.
View attachment 1066029

Next is my boost taper map.
I have run higher boost (up to 17psi) but this is what I settled on to give myself the best mix of power and longevity on my stock motor, with OEM bolts and head gasket
View attachment 1066030

And finally my timing map.
This one is the most rough and I think I could push timing up a bit more, but I really need more dyno time and some knock ears to detect any detonation, but I know that this is safe so it is what I am running right now.
View attachment 1066031
Spark tables are hard in my opinion to setup. Reason I asked was because a while ago I asked you what your fuel mileage was with the turbo when I was considering whether to go 1fz turbo or Ls. When u said 11, then I decided to go with a LS motor. But looking at your table, have you considered upping the "cruise" timing area of your map? Maybe your not that concerned with it, but I think you have room to get considerable fuel mileage increases if u upped the timing in the cruise area of the spark table. Highway cruise timing is something I've tried to research quite a bit and have gotten some nice gas mileage. On my 2f in my fj40, I'm getting 16MPG with 35s at 70mph. In some areas I'm running around 50 degrees of advance during cruise.

At Cruise I get 16mpg. When I said 11mpg it was city driving and lots of idling. I am pretty sure I mentioned that. Lol. And gas mileage is just a function of right foot control. When you actually have power it’s a lot more fun so you see a decrease in mileage. Lol

I see about 10-11.5mpg around town and 15-15.5mpg on the hwy. the around town includes quite a lot of idling and a little hooliganing. The hwy mileage isn't changed from before I was boosted unless I push it up to 80+mph.

If you see this truck with these two junkers on it somewhere other than I70/I80 headed west let me know. Haha. If you see them headed out to Salt Lake City give the truck driver a honk. lol. Cool Pakistani guy that let me know in other countries these trucks are legendary.

IMG_2859 (1).jpg

So different yet both so awesome.

You outta va?
Good luck out west, hate i didnt get to peep at these two and catch up while you were close.

Yeah, shipping the trucks out to Cdan and then will be joining them out in Salt Lake City here in a week or two.

So different yet both so awesome.

You outta va?
Good luck out west, hate i didnt get to peep at these two and catch up while you were close.

Salt Lake is a nice place.

All heavy metro areas are pretty damn lame, imo. The access to various amazing outdoors is pretty damn sweet though. and there are a TON of expo and Land Cruiser specific businesses there. I think the coolest thing about the SLC area was seeing small children out riding bikes alone or at night. Don't see that in Cali.

Well I am hoping it is pretty nice I plan to be there for a bit, but you just never know.

Yeah DCGuillory, I know what you mean. It is very tough to live in a heavy metro area and enjoy a lot of the things we like to do. I remember picking up my FJ55 and leaving it on the street for maybe 15-20 min while I went to go drop the trailer off, and by the time I got back the cops were planning to tow it because it had expired inspection stickers on it. I am hoping that SLC is spread out enough that it doesn't feel like a major metropolis. I have only been there one time and it was just for the day when I drove over from Denver and picked up my GTR. So this move is sight unseen. lol.

Salt Lake is a nice place.

All heavy metro areas are pretty damn lame, imo. The access to various amazing outdoors is pretty damn sweet though. and there are a TON of expo and Land Cruiser specific businesses there. I think the coolest thing about the SLC area was seeing small children out riding bikes alone or at night. Don't see that in Cali.

So this last move made it pretty obvious that I need to consolidate some vehicles.

Almost all of the apartments in SLC looked at me like I had a 3rd eye when I told them I was the only one on the lease but had 3 cars. One would let me pay an extra $150 a month for a 2nd space but the 3rd would have to go to storage and one told me. “Even if you rent a 2 bedroom it’s only 1 person on the lease, you get 1 spot that’s it. You can’t buy more.”

That and shipping 2 or 3 vehicles is a pain.

So I currently have:
This 80 for off-road type stuff
An LS for modern driving, commuting comfort
The other 80 project

Does it make sense to just sell this 80, and the LS and move into a 200? The 200’s seem like a mess. There are so many different front and rear ends. The bumpers must be very specific to year and model and I would want at least 2012 or newer.

The reality is a well setup 200 will probably do everything I need.

Any tips, advice, input on the 200’s would be appreciated.

I guess also watch this thread as I tighten up loose ends, like new suspension bushings, egr block off plates, wiring, etc. and maybe list the truck for sale at a very realistic price.

So this last move made it pretty obvious that I need to consolidate some vehicles.

Almost all of the apartments in SLC looked at me like I had a 3rd eye when I told them I was the only one on the lease but had 3 cars. One would let me pay an extra $150 a month for a 2nd space but the 3rd would have to go to storage and one told me. “Even if you rent a 2 bedroom it’s only 1 person on the lease, you get 1 spot that’s it. You can’t buy more.”

That and shipping 2 or 3 vehicles is a pain.

So I currently have:
This 80 for off-road type stuff
An LS for modern driving, commuting comfort
The other 80 project

Does it make sense to just sell this 80, and the LS and move into a 200? The 200’s seem like a mess. There are so many different front and rear ends. The bumpers must be very specific to year and model and I would want at least 2012 or newer.

The reality is a well setup 200 will probably do everything I need.

Any tips, advice, input on the 200’s would be appreciated.

I guess also watch this thread as I tighten up loose ends, like new suspension bushings, egr block off plates, wiring, etc. and maybe list the truck for sale at a very realistic price.

I look at them all like sets of Golf Clubs. Most regular players have multiple sets. They have closets to put them in.

My "golf clubs" happen to be the size of cars and require garage-sized closets.

Don't sell them.....Enjoy them!

Find a remote location for storage of one or two of them. Swap them out regularly.

We have (7) cars for (3) drivers. Only one is actually "in storage", the others are all in the driveway, licensed and insured. We play a lot of "musical cars".

If you have the wallet for it, a 200 would make a great overlanding rig with enough power to drag a trailer up any mountain.

However, if you have the wallet for the 200, start looking for a house with room for the toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom