Builds LX450 where to start! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Houses aren't mobile. I am never in a place long enough to make a house worth it. At least I haven't been up to this point.

1998-1999 - Hawaii
1999-2001 - Italy
2001-2003 - Maryland
2003-2006 - Washington DC
2006-2009 - Virginia
2009-2010 - Denver
2010-2015 - San Antonio
2015-2018 - Virginia
2018- ?? - Salt Lake City

It has never been a financial issue for me it has been how long I will be there. Like this job in Salt Lake is not forever. And I like the freedom that comes from just being able to walk away from a townhouse if I am ready for the next big thing. I am hopeful that I might settle soon, but I still have a few big things I want to accomplish.

If you have the wallet for it, a 200 would make a great overlanding rig with enough power to drag a trailer up any mountain.

However, if you have the wallet for the 200, start looking for a house with room for the toys.

I don’t think I could sell my 80 especially after all the work I’ve done which is nothing compared to what you have went through. I can’t comment on the 200 other than I test drove one and loved it on the road but was concerned about the size on the trails as well as some of the weak points my 100 has. That being said I do wheel in steep rocky tight terrain in the Carolinas and Tennessee. Now if I lived out west I might be more tempted to build a stout 200. Kinda like my daily driver that I wouldn’t dare wheel around here!

5632A145-DC81-424A-B5E8-868EE4DECE40.jpeg

I actually thought about a domestic 3/4 ton, on 35/37's in an extended cab, with a 8' bed and a cap. Gives you a real nice place to sleep. But not sure that is the way I want to go. I suppose I will let this simmer for a while.

I don’t think I could sell my 80 especially after all the work I’ve done which is nothing compared to what you have went through. I can’t comment on the 200 other than I test drove one and loved it on the road but was concerned about the size on the trails as well as some of the weak points my 100 has. That being said I do wheel in steep rocky tight terrain in the Carolinas and Tennessee. Now if I lived out west I might be more tempted to build a stout 200. Kinda like my daily driver that I wouldn’t dare wheel around here!

View attachment 1747383

you should see a shrink regarding your tire choices asap

OMG I hate thread hijakers. Im done
Those were on it when I bought it and were immediately replaced with XD monster 2 wheels and 37” STT pro tires

I actually thought about a domestic 3/4 ton, on 35/37's in an extended cab, with a 8' bed and a cap. Gives you a real nice place to sleep. But not sure that is the way I want to go. I suppose I will let this simmer for a while.
Yeah it nice having the power and size for towing your 80 around and it does sleep nice

Ryan, did you ever get ATF Speed to build you a transmission? I sent one in for them to build for me and they asked for the full payment in advance...does that sound right?

I didn't since I kind of go back and forth on using a heavier duty trans on my other build. But I think that does sound right. They likely have to order, steels, frictions, etc and they do add quite a few custom billet parts.

They say the A3xx series trans is good to 800rwhp, so it might be ok even for my big turbo build. It is definitely fine at this level. Since I have been on a trans kit at 16-18psi.

Ryan, did you ever get ATF Speed to build you a transmission? I sent one in for them to build for me and they asked for the full payment in advance...does that sound right?

ok, cool.

I'm also doing the Transgo kit now, to get me through till I replace my CX Racing turbo set up with the "Ryan Style" turbo set-up. ;)

Have you found an air to air intercooler that'd fit in front of the radiator ?

No I haven't really been looking for an A/A intercooler, on this grey truck that goes offroad I think the A/W is a superior method. On my black truck I am going to put the intercooler down in the front bumper. I think if you want to do a A/A you could relocate the hood latch support, the transmission cooler and the guys in Aus fit a 600mmX300mmX74mm core there. But they all have the issue of routing the cool charge pipe back over the valve cover and exhaust manifold.

Have you found an air to air intercooler that'd fit in front of the radiator ?

Thank you.... I have the same intake you are putting on the black truck! That wouldn't require routing over the valve cover/exhaust, right?

No I haven't really been looking for an A/A intercooler, on this grey truck that goes offroad I think the A/W is a superior method. On my black truck I am going to put the intercooler down in the front bumper. I think if you want to do a A/A you could relocate the hood latch support, the transmission cooler and the guys in Aus fit a 600mmX300mmX74mm core there. But they all have the issue of routing the cool charge pipe back over the valve cover and exhaust manifold.

Nope it sure won't! That is a big reason to go to an intake like that.

Thank you.... I have the same intake you are putting on the black truck! That wouldn't require routing over the valve cover/exhaust, right?

you should see a shrink regarding your tire choices asap

OMG I hate thread hijakers. Im done

looks like there might be a quad under there!

Nope it sure won't! That is a big reason to go to an intake like that.

Ryan, you're really a helpful resource and a inspiration for posting all you do!.....Thanks so much and WOW, almost 10k posts!!!

Haha thanks! But probably only 500 of those are helpful the rest are just tangents and quips. lol.

Ryan, you're really a helpful resource and a inspiration for posting all you do!.....Thanks so much and WOW, almost 10k posts!!!

Pulled into work tonight and saw this thing sitting in the parking lot. It is 2 Volkswagen bugs cut in half and put together on what is maybe a powerwagon frame?

06FB99CB-D87B-4C63-A5B2-656ABF73507A.jpeg
BE4C24AF-5279-457B-9078-B44246D0A336.jpeg
AC3CF373-3974-4A00-B1D5-7AA70D2CA730.jpeg

So this last move made it pretty obvious that I need to consolidate some vehicles.

Almost all of the apartments in SLC looked at me like I had a 3rd eye when I told them I was the only one on the lease but had 3 cars. One would let me pay an extra $150 a month for a 2nd space but the 3rd would have to go to storage and one told me. “Even if you rent a 2 bedroom it’s only 1 person on the lease, you get 1 spot that’s it. You can’t buy more.”

That and shipping 2 or 3 vehicles is a pain.

So I currently have:
This 80 for off-road type stuff
An LS for modern driving, commuting comfort
The other 80 project

Does it make sense to just sell this 80, and the LS and move into a 200? The 200’s seem like a mess. There are so many different front and rear ends. The bumpers must be very specific to year and model and I would want at least 2012 or newer.

The reality is a well setup 200 will probably do everything I need.

Any tips, advice, input on the 200’s would be appreciated.

I guess also watch this thread as I tighten up loose ends, like new suspension bushings, egr block off plates, wiring, etc. and maybe list the truck for sale at a very realistic price.

GX460 or 470 instead? 2-3 MPG better; 3.8" more narrow; 6" shorter total length; 3" shorter wheel base; less cargo room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom