Builds LX450 where to start! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a GX460 at one point and liked it was a nice truck with a very nice interior, much nicer than a similar priced LX. lol

GX460 or 470 instead? 2-3 MPG better; 3.8" more narrow; 6" shorter total length; 3" shorter wheel base; less cargo room

Looks like that Volkswagen has a couple Power wagon parts!!

I didn't since I kind of go back and forth on using a heavier duty trans on my other build. But I think that does sound right. They likely have to order, steels, frictions, etc and they do add quite a few custom billet parts.

They say the A3xx series trans is good to 800rwhp, so it might be ok even for my big turbo build. It is definitely fine at this level. Since I have been on a trans kit at 16-18psi.

I've got an A343 built by ATFSpeed sitting in my garage now!..... if you need it before me, we may be able to work something out ;)

Haha the joys of daily driving a 23 year old truck. I am sure this is probably the first time this axle has been resealed and had new bearings. So not bad for 170,000+ miles. Lol

@beno I will email you shortly for a reared rebuild kit!

Email sent, I appreciate all that you do for mud! And of course for doing all the leg work and making parts buying easy!

In stock and ready to roll!!

Virginia winters even though they don’t get much snow sure did a number on my “rust free” truck. They use a lot of road salt mixed with sand and it has really given my old truck a lot of surface corrosion I am going to need to get on top of.

Today I went to do rear bearings and seals and the rear brake calipers were not satisfactory. So ordered all new brake parts. Calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, banjo’s, washers, all the e-brake components, etc.

While I wait for those to arrive and my truck is apart on jackstands I also changed out the check valve and hose on the brake booster. I think the turbo kind of gives it hell. I replaced it once when I did the turbo and now so 6-7 years service life. It still works but blowing into it you can definitely see it sticks. On the next truck or in the next 5-6 years when I replace this one, I will probably just move the vacuum source from the intake manifold to preturbo. That way I don’t have to worry about boost to the valve. Lol

9493617F-C05F-475F-ADDF-B0017EA3BB71.jpeg
37B20C59-90A6-4B37-9F9D-A9BD8C27F135.jpeg
3CADF02F-95BF-4A8D-989A-92DD8DF271BC.jpeg
5E6BD105-6A7F-45CB-A96B-BA522C9A34D6.jpeg

Last edited:
What braking issues did you have that made you replace the check valve?
Have you noticed an improvement?

What braking issues did you have that made you replace the check valve?
Have you noticed an improvement?
The truck is still on jack stands, so no way to know, but I could check the valve simply by blowing through it both ways and comparing it to the new valve. Not a very likely situation but if you were in boost and on the brakes your pedal would be more firm than it should be. But 99% of the time if you need brakes you don't need boost... lol

Last edited:
Still waiting on all the little parts but I sure love getting rid of old crusty stuff and putting on new Toyota parts it’s like land cruiser jewelry.
D03CD458-F8E5-4F31-BD9F-2FA93CA3E28C.jpeg
35988BB4-6654-4C49-A4A2-525734CD127F.jpeg

pretty safe to say I got my money’s worth from these. Lol

98D34291-D787-4EC6-B9A8-E1AAB7E6C09E.jpeg

There's still more pad left on those, i bet you can get another 5k out of them.... :) JK of course.

New calipers too, that's going to feel like a whole new truck.

There's still more pad left on those, i bet you can get another 5k out of them.... :) JK of course.

New calipers too, that's going to feel like a whole new truck.
Haha, I think there were the pads you guys did at your shop when I had you put the locker in the rear end. So that was like 7-8 years ago! Good to see you back around.

Last edited:
Haha, I think there were the pads you guys did at your shop when I had you put the locker in the rear end. So that was like 7-8 years ago! Good to see you back around.
Oh man, that is a lot of life you got out of them!! I've been around, Just in the 100 section for a couple years and then the 200 section the last couple years ;) The wife wouldnt let me get another 80

Just out of curiosity I did a Blackstone analysis on my truck. ~170k miles, it has been turbo'd almost 55k of those. 4850 miles on this oil, 0w40 Mobil 1.

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 4.45.10 PM.png

I had a PM request asking about my Slee/ADS shocks. They wanted a picture and adding pictures in PM is a pain so I am going to post them here.

Now just to be transparent I love my Slee ADS shocks they make the ride feel great and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another set!

What you’re about to see says a lot more about MY lack of maintenance and abuse!! This truck has driven across country multiple times, been through east coast snow storms and salt, mag chloride on the west coast, daily wheeling for 3.5 straight months, driving like I am in the Baja, etc. I think pulling these shocks off, hitting them with a scotchbrite pad rebuilding them with new seals and spraying them with WD40 would bring them right back to looking new.

So after something like 8+ years this is what they look like.

EEC9CD56-D92E-4BA7-A1C0-7A4E69D5D07E.jpeg
61C16E4D-5510-4A79-B821-8487659EDF3F.jpeg

I had a PM request asking about my Slee/ADS shocks. They wanted a picture and adding pictures in PM is a pain so I am going to post them here.

Now just to be transparent I love my Slee ADS shocks they make the ride feel great and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another set!

What you’re about to see says a lot more about MY lack of maintenance and abuse!! This truck has driven across country multiple times, been through east coast snow storms and salt, mag chloride on the west coast, daily wheeling for 3.5 straight months, driving like I am in the Baja, etc. I think pulling these shocks off, hitting them with a scotchbrite pad rebuilding them with new seals and spraying them with WD40 would bring them right back to looking new.

So after something like 8+ years this is what they look like.

View attachment 3046700View attachment 3046701
For 8 years of use those look GREAT. Even 8yr old Toyota shocks need to be replaced by that point.

I have them on my 80 and they totally transformed the truck. Both on road and off. It corners like a rockstar even with 4” of lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom