LX450 Axles / Birfs 136K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First Thread :cheers:

About to service the front axles and birfs. Going with new rotors and bearings. Planning to switch right and left. Haven't called CDAN yet. Been waiting for a weather break...I must have really pissed off mother nature.:mad: Guess I'll set my beer next to the wood stove.

Rig looks exactly like Romer's before the lift. 136K. Slight Clicking on throttle with wheels turned. Threads look pretty straight forward. Do I only need the FSM for torque specs, or am I a dumb*ss for not wanting to buy it?

Anyone wanna chime in on this one? :meh:

Buy the FSM - if you don't need it now, you will later.
I found the information on MUD better than the FSM, (for the front axle rebuild) and other tricks & suggestions that the FSM doesn't contain.
Pay the $20 'support the site fee' it's the best investment you'll find as the paybacks, in dollars saved, are HUGE.

Oh, and WELCOME! :flipoff2:

Support $

Newbie question - is this the "Silver Star Supporting Member"?

Do yourself a HUGE favor and send a PM to Elmariachi (Jim). Ask him to send you his birf rebuild DVD. The best $20 you can spend prior to doing your birfs unless you are a good mechanic or have someone that has done it before helping you out.

Sweet...got my silver star! I feel much better now. Built my Ford transmission with my 8mo old son with no other help. Father was a mechanic and a racer. Hopefully soaked up enuf skill to complete it. I'm confident, but if you still think the DVD is a good idea, I would be glad to support a fellow member.

Bought some power seat parts maufactured by a member. Love em.

Did front axle, CV service on my wife's 02 BMW 330XI thanks to crappy rubber boots. Didn't find it hard enuf to justify the left arm the dealer wanted.

With that background bro .. I doubt if you need the DVD. If you are newbie with limited mechanical skills, it's a great buy. There is a ton of info on MUD to get you through the birf job .. without a doubt.

I'm just picturing a DVD remote control in my hand with grease up to my elbows...;)

more rolls than you would ever imagine actually ..

Thanks for the input. Texas would be nice. I'm having second thoughts on the beer. Instead of trying to keep it from freezing, maybe something harder would be better. What is the suggested viscosity while performing a job like this up there in Canada?

I'm just picturing a DVD remote control in my hand with grease up to my elbows...;)

Put remote in a gallon ziplock - that's what I'm using right now.

Did Jim include dancing girls in the video?

Point taken. Just tryin to add some humor to working in 2 degrees F. Still contemplating ordering that video. Any other sellling points to push me over???

Point taken. Just tryin to add some humor to working in 2 degrees F. Still contemplating ordering that video. Any other sellling points to push me over???

You'll be helping Jim put his kids through school?

If your time is worth anything, the DVD can pay for itself in hours saved on your first birf job.

Tim

I have a FSM you can use...I am in Lincoln. I am going to have to do mine too as I am leaking grease, but no clicking yet. Waiting until it gets warmer, though.

There are a few of us around...Grench in OMA, and Chapman in Lincoln. Grench has rebuilt 2 so he would be a good local person to visit before you jump in. We should combine shipping, too if you are going to order from Cdan...

Hell Ya. Hello Midwest! Good to see some out there like me. Didn't know that. ALL FOR combined shipping... Haven't gotten to CDAN yet but gearing up to go to battle with an axle. Any further along than me?

Axles to be followed by OME lift and possssssibly ARB front. Potholes are getting bigger around here.

Um, no. Have a 2.5 medium lift kit sitting in my garage since last fall (Grench hauled it back from Slees for me), but since it is my daily driver and I have limited skills, I haven't gotten to it. Still debating whether to do it myself or let a shop here in town do it for me. When I do tear into the front, I am definitely doing brakes and whole shebang while it is tore up. Right now just pumping moly grease in the knuckles and checking diff fluid regularly. No clicking though, thank goodness. I also have the electrical manual too...Grench suggested the locals get together for lunch sometime, it might be time!

Recently became full time student at the University here in Om. Between that and cabin fever I need to get out in the shop and tear something apart. Cars are not my profession, but they are my therapy. Sounds like the FSM is highly suggested. I personally like to swear a lot before looking at the manual, but know they can be very useful. Have seen too many things to let others touch my truck. Maybe too proud.

Not enough time in the day, but will throw an upcoming weekend at it. Screw the cold! Lots of firewood ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom