LX-450 vs. FZJ80 park lamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok all of you experts... here's the question:

True or false: LX-450 and FZJ80 (96-97s, anyway) front parking light lens housings are completely interchangable.

I know it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and the fenders and cut-outs are the same, but has anyone actually swapped a FZJ lens/housing into a LX - or visa versa? Do they fit?

A parts guy and I do not agree on this one... it's only a matter of academic interest, but there are some things you've just gotta know...

Thanks, R -

Ron,

My bet is on TRUE; but they do look different though. LXs' ones are white with a small portion of amber (which IMHO cooler) whereas the the ones in LC are purely amber.

Frank.

What bulbs does that lens use ? Is it just a clear bulb behind the amber portion ? And the clear portion of the lense just gets leftovers from there ... or are there two bulbs , and a different harness behind it ?

Tyler,

There's only one clear bulb (168) behind the amber part (about 1.5" wide on the rear most).

Frank.

Frank -

Actually, I use the Asia spec lense myself...

lc_fr_prklt_s.jpg

...but as I am sure you know, they are not legal (at least, here in Calif). The law says you must have an amber reflector foward, showing to the side.

Tyler -

>> What bulbs does that lens use ?

If you mean the LX lense, I am pretty sure the amber portion is just a reflector to satisfy the legal requirement (the reason for my interest). There would probably be a single, clear bulb behind, as Frank indicated.

LX guys, what say you?

R -

Oh yeah, to add, I think you need to use an amber bulb too. About same price as clear bulb. You could also use green, blue, red, yellow, or purple if it's legal there...

As for me, clears are not legal here. But I am searching for LX450 lenses if anyone has....

R-

I suspect that the LX450 and 80 series lamps will cross-dress, so to speak :D .

I also run the clear Japan lenses. I use an amber (3157,IIRC) bulb. I have a dual filament set-up and Mine blink as well as mark. I used Tundra tail lamp sockets in the housings in place of the original sockets.

Just took a look at the LX sitting outside...
The LX corner lenses should fit on the LC -- I did a side-by-side eyeball check a couple days ago.
The bulb is clear.

Grill and headlights are different between the LX and LC tho so headlights won't swap -- unless you do the whole setup, grill and lights.

R- thanx , they do sound kinda cool , though I am going all clear if it's legal in Ontario .

Dan , Great info on the Tundra sockets ... I believe I'll add two of those sockets to the shopping list I sent you earlier .

Cheers !

Thanks all - tho it looks as like no one has actually tried to swap the lens housings...

>> Oh yeah, to add, I think you need to use an amber bulb too.

Hwn: Yep, quite right. I assumed that to be obvious, tho I should have said so :-\

>> I suspect that the LX450 and 80 series lamps will cross-dress, so to speak.

Hiya D - ! That's my take as well, but the parts "experts" say no, they will not.

>> Just took a look at the LX sitting outside... The LX corner lenses should fit on the LC..

NorCalDug: Doug, is that you? I've been waiting for you at the Sierra Brewery for 6 months! (Drank yours up long ago...). We should have a lens swapping party... takes 1 minute, including a break for the brewskies...

Later all, Ron -

[quote author=NorCalDug link=board=2;threadid=8926;start=msg77715#msg77715 date=1071830316]
is clear.
Grill and headlights are different between the LX and LC tho so headlights won't swap -- unless you do the whole setup, grill and lights.
[/quote]

This is interesting, I have a cracked mount on one of my LX lights that is letting water in, so I asked Dan about a replacement and he mentioned the same thing - different light, which really surprised me. I need to pull it again, so I will grab the PN - although I do rememeber that it said 'Toyota' on it!

Price from Lexus is C$475 (~US$360) + 15% tax = C$547 :eek: :eek: :eek: - does anyone know how much the LC one goes for?

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=ParadiseCruiser link=board=2;threadid=8926;start=msg77793#msg77793 date=1071850399]

NorCalDug: Doug, is that you? I've been waiting for you at the Sierra Brewery for 6 months! (Drank yours up long ago...). We should have a lens swapping party... takes 1 minute, including a break for the brewskies...

Later all, Ron -
[/quote]

Ron,
Yep - that's me. Don't know what's up with that place -- everytime I swing by, they're closed! Saw the same 80 parked outside....thought that was strange -- now I know!

I lost track of you for a while -- shoulda thought to check here.

Have a good one.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom