LX 450 AC failed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So AC is out in my new to me LX. I have read lots of posts regarding its failure. So.....I will remove the belt to see if turing the compressor is difficult, check to see if it has been over charged and inspect the clutch. The compressor has a good deal of dust around it. I am guessing it is dust from clutch and hoping it is not the result of a frozen compressor. If I find free moving compressor and charge to be at an proper level what else should I look for before bringing the system to be discharged and cleaning/replacing components to the system?

Check condition and tension on the belt, also check the tensioner pulley. Like CJF said, you can turn the front hub of the compressor without removing the belt. Once you've established that the charge amount is correct, gauge readings will give an indication of the condition of the compressor and you can proceed from there. Any chance of posting a pic of the compressor ?

Just had my system tested and recharged Friday morning last week... Was empty of Freon but they said there were no leaks... weird... Anyway, recharge was about $70 and they had it blowing at 9 degrees at the vent (don't ask me how long he held the thermo there, it's just what he showed me). Now we are in a 95 degree heat wave and it feels great in the truck. I guess we'll see how long it lasts...

Just had my system tested and recharged Friday morning last week... Was empty of Freon but they said there were no leaks... weird... Anyway, recharge was about $70 and they had it blowing at 9 degrees at the vent (don't ask me how long he held the thermo there, it's just what he showed me). Now we are in a 95 degree heat wave and it feels great in the truck. I guess we'll see how long it lasts...

Don't want to rain on the parade, but refrigerant doesn't get used up, so if it was empty, either there's a leak or somebody let it out. If they put dye in the system, it can take a week or more for it to show. Did they check it with an electronic detector? Using that may have found a leak prior to the dye showing. Look for oily residue at the hose connections,and on the compressor body. Hope it lasts.

9° is rather cold for vent temps. Could be undercharged and icing up your coil. If the system leaks out again...ask them pressure up the system with dry nitrogen to find the leak....soap bubbles do not lie. They should have nitrogen if they are in the a/c business just for that purpose. Dye in the system will show up in the condensate water as well should the evap coil be leaking

Check condition and tension on the belt, also check the tensioner pulley. Like CJF said, you can turn the front hub of the compressor without removing the belt. Once you've established that the charge amount is correct, gauge readings will give an indication of the condition of the compressor and you can proceed from there. Any chance of posting a pic of the compressor ?

Thanks for chiming in. I will post some pics tomorrow.

At coolstream, no parade raining bro, my worry as well... That freon doesn't just disappear. Just wonder where it went! Guess I'll see how long it stays cool!

AC comp.jpg

Here is the AC Compressor. Black dust I assume is from the clutch. The belt was very loss. After tightening it the compressor stayed engaged and the ac seems to work. The glass is showing some bubbles (low freon?). Previous owner said there was a "poof" then the ac stopped working and belt was squealing. I thought maybe a blockage in the system. I am going to run it as is for now (don't need it much in Maine) but want to trouble shoot before any trips. Will run it for a couple of hour trip and if it fails again buy some gauges. Seem like reasonable approach?
AC comp.jpg

What kind of light do I buy to find the UV dye added by PO? UV led black light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom