LV floors measurements pictures etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone out there has measurements or plans of the LV floor? I’ve been saving a lot of floor and rear sill pictures. Really anything related to LV body work. I PMed @treerootCO to see if he had any floor info when he did his repo awhile back. Anyways any info would be appreciate!

Jason

Just wondering if anyone out there has measurements or plans of the LV floor? I’ve been saving a lot of floor and rear sill pictures. Really anything related to LV body work. I PMed @treerootCO to see if he had any floor info when he did his repo awhile back. Anyways any info would be appreciate!

Jason
X2! You are not the only one to explore this....

Last edited:
@NOSAJ - A couple of questions.

1. What type of tools do you have for sheet metal work? Bead roller? Metal brake? Shrinker-stretcher? Decent Metal shear?
2. How are your welding skills with butt welding sheet metal? (I use 18ga for most all LV parts)

I was no expert at metalwork at the beginning of the LV journey. With some practice and watching some Youtube videos I have learned some tricks to be an ok metal worker. Also, I don't have expensive tools but even the inexpensive ones can do the job. The professional can make big panels all in 1 piece to avoid welding and grinding. My approach breaks pieces down into smaller pieces...which equates to more welding and grinding.

I have fab'd a huge number of pieces on my LV. It can be done. If you can build a house, then you can build an LV....one piece at a time.

A few pics below of the passenger front floor: before, in process, and after. Again, I also had to work every piece that connected to the floor....one big jigsaw puzzle. Measure, cut, weld, grind...repeat.

IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_1510.JPG

@NOSAJ - A couple of questions.

1. What type of tools do you have for sheet metal work? Bead roller? Metal brake? Shrinker-stretcher? Decent Metal shear?
2. How are your welding skills with butt welding sheet metal? (I use 18ga for most all LV parts)

I was no expert at metalwork at the beginning of the LV journey. With some practice and watching some Youtube videos I have learned some tricks to be an ok metal worker. Also, I don't have expensive tools but even the inexpensive ones can do the job. The professional can make big panels all in 1 piece to avoid welding and grinding. My approach breaks pieces down into smaller pieces...which equates to more welding and grinding.

I have fab'd a huge number of pieces on my LV. It can be done. If you can build a house, then you can build an LV....one piece at a time.

A few pics below of the passenger front floor: before, in process, and after. Again, I also had to work every piece that connected to the floor....one big jigsaw puzzle. Measure, cut, weld, grind...repeat.

View attachment 2817540 View attachment 2817541View attachment 2817544
Yeah, your work is incredible! All that from a home garage. I really appreciate all the advice and help from you.
Thank you
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks @xtremeVA Amazing work there!

I don’t have any of those metal work going tools yet but plan to get some for this project. I’ve been welding for awhile powering steering and landscape trailers nothing that really requires finesse. How do you do the curved section in the ribs circled in red? I’ve searched YouTube and haven’t really found that exact example. Also how did you know how far apart the ribs needed to be? I’m afraid my floor is so far gone I won’t be able to tell the exact dimensions of ribs etc.

Thanks!
Jason

For some reason I can’t get my picture to load that I referenced above. I’ll try again later

I don’t have any of those metal work going tools yet but plan to get some for this project. I’ve been welding for awhile powering steering and landscape trailers nothing that really requires finesse. How do you do the curved section in the ribs circled in red? I’ve searched YouTube and haven’t really found that exact example. Also how did you know how far apart the ribs needed to be? I’m afraid my floor is so far gone I won’t be able to tell the exact dimensions of ribs etc.

First, I should have offered to give you some floor dimensions and pictures. My floors had "just enough" to understand the shape and dimensions, but I opted to remake the entire floor vs. attempting to patch everything. I will send you a PM so that we can get connected.

For the lower firewall (both sides, I bought panels from Real Steel Cruiser parts. These are the only patch panels that I actually purchased. As you will see below, I could have probably made them, but this was very early in my metal working learning curve.

IMG_0750.JPG

As for the closeouts....you are a detailed and shrewd detective and have zeroed in on the toughest part of making panels for the LV. I have looked at professional shops pictures and and I believe they use a torch, heat the metal cherry red and then beat that shape into the metal. Not my method. I also experimented with making the closeout via bead roller (turn the panel 180 degrees in the bead roller) without acceptable results. My method below works but it is reasonably labor intensive. Here's a summary, and some pics are shown below.

1. You're starting with a flat piece of 18ga. cold roll steel. I tried to layout and cut a flat panel to "close" final dimensions because it's much easier to cut it when it's flat. On this step it's important to mark off any flanges that will be bent and scribe them into the panel. I also learned that using a sharpie to mark panels introduced at least a 1/16" tolerance....so do yourself a favor and and scribe lines with a metal scribe to be as accurate as possible. I started with using the blue steel layout fluid, but if you scribe a line with a metal tip scribe it will be visible without applying the blue fluid. (Again, I can help with dimensions)

2. I ran the panel through the bead roller to make the recess all the way across the panel. To keep the recess as straight as possible having a fence/guide on the bead roller really helps out. It takes 3-5 passes per bend, but with a little practice it goes pretty fast.

3. For the recess closeouts, I made a sheet metal die that I can "crush" a piece of sheet metal in my vice to make the close out shape. (it probably takes me 2-3 hours to make a die) No fancy tools other than a sawzall, grinder, file etc. You don't use the die panel but make small separate pieces to be grafted in. Most of the time I used a 3" x4" sheet metal blank, crush it in the die/vice, then trim it for a finished piece. See pic below of the homemade die and a piece that I crushed in a vice.

4. I graft a crushed piece into the panel that I ran through the bead roller. Yes, it's a lot of cutting, butt welding, grinding and finishing. However, the end result is worth the effort.

5. Last, I bend the 90 degree attachment flanges into the panel. This is pretty well the last step. On the front floors, there is a 90 flange pointing upward that attaches to the door sill and a 90 degree flange pointing downward that attached the front floor to the mid floor panel. Referring all the way back to step one, I actually try to scribe the line for the flanges at the beginning layout phase.

Is this alot of work?? Yes, but your new floors will last another 50 years so what's a few days of work to make them from scratch? I have grafted in dozens of end closeouts of various sizes on the LV. You get to be an expert at this technique after a while.

Pic 1: Home made metal stamping die.

Floor closeout stamping die.JPG

Pic 2: Floor Panel work-in process. Right recess has piece grafted, center is just bead rolled.

Floor Recess in process.JPG

Pic 3: example of grafting. (oh dear God, this one is an early one. Not a good fit...so I put in small relief cuts so I could "massage" the panels with a hammer/dolly)

IMG_1453 (2).JPG

Pic 4: Finished panel before bending flanges. 6 grafts completed. 18ga solid floor for the next 25 years.

Floor Pass Complete.JPG

I have made several different size and shape crushing dies for the LV.

Wondering how to do rear quarter panel ribs? Same technique. Yes...it works. :cool: I got much better at the technique by this point in my metal working maina. Here's what you will find out on the LV. When you measure LV pieces like ribs, there is a huge variation in the size. Hand built 60's technology.

IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG
GEQD5491.JPG

Ok, my "secret" method is not so secret anymore. Hopefully I can help others on the LV restoration journey.

Also, at first I have a tough time with butt welding 18 ga. Warp, burn through etc. It get's better as you practice.

Hope this helps out. 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom