LT285/65/18 + 18” stock rims and KDSS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Madtiger

Mini-Doug
Threads
@gaijin mentioned in another thread that this tire size on Toyota 18” OEM rim may interfere with KDSS in 2016+ LC. If so, then which part of KDSS does it touch? Is this something that happens at extreme steering angles or max flex?

Down the road, i am thinking of upgrading to this size...but i do not want any rubbing of any kind.

Thanks.

Last edited:
KO2s in that size just cleared everything on mine. OE strut spacer but otherwise stock suspension.

KO2s in that size just cleared everything on mine. OE strut spacer but otherwise stock suspension.

Does your 2013 stock rims have same offset as my 2019?

For serious?

Another tire fitment thread? On a 285/65r18 which is probably the most commonly upfitted size. There's only 2 bajillion threads on this. ;)

54mm is your offset which is different from pre 2016, that used a 60mm offset. This should theoretically give you about a 1/4" more space against the KDSS bar, but the suspension goemetry may be slightly tweaked within the upright of the 2016+.

A 285/70r18 (33.7") tire would be a great tire size for the LC.

For serious?

Another tire fitment thread? On a 285/65r18 which is probably the most commonly upfitted size. There's only 2 bajillion threads on this. ;)

54mm is your offset which is different from pre 2016, that used a 60mm offset. This should theoretically give you about a 1/4" more space against the KDSS bar, but the suspension goemetry may be slightly tweaked within the upright of the 2016+.

A 285/70r18 (33.7") tire would be a great tire size for the LC.

While searching, there are actually a few posts that noted 285/65/18 rubs. But then again, like you said, this is a very popular size. Then, gaijin noted possible rubbing. Thus, my question.

285/70/18 does not rub on a stock suspension with stock 18” rims in a 2016+ LC?

While searching, there are actually a few posts that noted 285/65/18 rubs. But then again, like you said, this is a very popular size. Then, gaijin noted possible rubbing. Thus, my question.

285/70/18 does not rub on a stock suspension with stock 18” rims in a 2016+ LC?
What's often overlooked is the rim configuration and how it enters into the equation. Rim offset/backspace has a huge effect. @TeCKis300 can undoubtedly clarify this.

Hi Madtiger,
I have 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my 2020 HE. I have the OEM Strut Spacers up front.
I get no interference or rubbing with the KDSS system however I do get a slight rub on the front left when I back up to my right almost fully clocked.
Was told by Ben from Dissent that wheel spacers would make the problem worse. So to combat this issue Ben is going to put a Dissent Aluminum front bumper on :clap:

@mcgaskins build of Ruby is probably your best guide to 285/70r18s. He's got a well documented and considered thread with respect to larger tire sizes on the 16+ LC.

In a nutshell, yes, you can fit the larger size just fine on even the stock wheels/stock offset. Clearancing of plastics required. The case for spacers to increase offset may not be so much about clearance, but fixing scrub radius goemetry for the larger diameter tires, to regain stability and handling. A .75" spacer in this case.

@gaijin mentioned in another thread that this tire size on Toyota 18” OEM rim may interfere with KDSS in 2016+ LC. If so, then which part of KDSS does it touch? Is this something that happens at extreme steering angles or max flex?

Down the road, i am thinking of upgrading to this size...but i do not want any rubbing of any kind.

Thanks.

Not sure what post you are referring to, but my overall recommendation would be to bear in mind that not all LT285/65R18 tires are the same size. Some may be fine with no rubbing, and others may rub significantly. Usually the area of the tire that causes rubbing is the edge of the tread.

Here is a sample of LT285/65R18 tires and their specified tread widths:

BFG AT T/A KO2 - 9.6"
Michelin LTX A/T2 - 9.1"
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 - 8.9"
Yokohama Geolandar X-AT - 9.1"
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - 9.6"
BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 - 9.8"
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - 9.9"
Geolandar M/T G003 - 9.4"
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - 8.9"
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 - 8.1"

Of course, manufacturer specified tread width may differ slightly when measured directly on the tire, but the point remains - all tires of the same size are not the same width at the tread.

While the Revo 3's, with an 8.1" tread width, may not rub at all, can the same be said for the Cooper STT Pro's with a 9.9" tread width?

Obviously, if you are willing to remove parts, cut plastic, install wheel spacers, or replace bumpers, then that is a different matter entirely.

HTH

Not sure if relevant but the other thing I notice is that not all tires of same size have same REVOLUTION / MILE.

I wonder if that is also indicative of true tire height/diameter and thus why some tires run and others not??

Not sure if relevant but the other thing I notice is that not all tires of same size have same REVOLUTION / MILE.

I wonder if that is also indicative of true tire height/diameter and thus why some tires run and others not??

Sure. Overall mounted tire diameter is also a factor. I chose to highlight tread width because I have noticed less variability in overall diameter for the same tire size and construcion (i.e. all LT-Metric) than in tread width. Also, overall diameter specifications are usually determined at maximum tire pressure. The "mounted" diameter, at the appropriate RCTIP, would be different, so it devolves into a much more case-by-case determination than tread width.

HTH

For example, with tires gaijin mentioned above: (LT285/65/18)

BFG KO2 = 639

BFG KM3 = 639

Michelin AT2 = 639

Michelin Defender = 639

Yoko G015 = 635

Yoko X-AT = 634

Yoko Geolander MT = 633

GY Duratrac = 634

Cooper STT Pro = 630

Bridgestone AT REVO 3 = 640

So, yeah, REVO3 would be the best fitting tire because its tread is narrower and apparent effective diameter smallest. The one with highest chance of rubbing is the Cooper STT Pro because it is both wide and taller than others of same size.

Negative. The true height thing that is thrown around here is something that is made up. It's not a useful methodology to compare between tires because of so many variables including inflation pressure, rig weight, how one measures, etc.

The revolution/mile is highly correlated to the spec tire diameter and is an agreed upon standard by which to compare apples to apples. Even though it's different numbers, between 630 and 640 is about only a 1% difference. I find it most useful for other cars, particularly AWD vehicles that use staggared tire sizes, in order to make sure the delta between sizes is within a tolerable threshold.

Not sure what post you are referring to, but my overall recommendation would be to bear in mind that not all LT285/65R18 tires are the same size. Some may be fine with no rubbing, and others may rub significantly. Usually the area of the tire that causes rubbing is the edge of the tread.

Here is a sample of LT285/65R18 tires and their specified tread widths:

BFG AT T/A KO2 - 9.6"
Michelin LTX A/T2 - 9.1"
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 - 8.9"
Yokohama Geolandar X-AT - 9.1"
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - 9.6"
BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 - 9.8"
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - 9.9"
Geolandar M/T G003 - 9.4"
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - 8.9"
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 - 8.1"

Of course, manufacturer specified tread width may differ slightly when measured directly on the tire, but the point remains - all tires of the same size are not the same width at the tread.

While the Revo 3's, with an 8.1" tread width, may not rub at all, can the same be said for the Cooper STT Pro's with a 9.9" tread width?

Obviously, if you are willing to remove parts, cut plastic, install wheel spacers, or replace bumpers, then that is a different matter entirely.

HTH

Surprised the Cooper STT Pros where so much wider so I spot checked. Still wide, but shows 9.49" here.

Surprised the Cooper STT Pros where so much wider so I spot checked. Still wide, but shows 9.49" here.

Take it up with TireRack:

TireSpecw.jpg

Take it up with TireRack:

View attachment 2338565

No fault of yours and I appreciate you collecting that data in a list. No need to propagate TireRacks error here, as this thread could be used by others in the future to ensure fitment.

Another data point for your list if you're interested
Falken Wildpeak AT3W - 9.4

Just to add some more data:

Cooper STT PRO diameter = 32.9" REV / mi = 630

BFG KO2 diameter = 32.5" REV / Mi = 639

Bridgestone REVO 3 diameter = 32.6" REV / Mi = 640

Falken AT3W diameter = 32.6" REV / Mi = 642

When i had my GX, 265/65/18 size tires...some would fit, some would not. And it turned out that Falken AT3W fit the best (no rubbing of KDSS bar in spare tire location) while Defender and KO2 would touch the KDSS bar.

On Lexus GX, 265/65/18...

Falken AT3W = 675 rev / mile.

Michelin Defender = 659

Both are 31.5".

Defender: touching KDSS bar in spare tire location
20190816_175521_48771fc564d6f496926efe3671968f5bbb862abf.jpg

Falken: with plenty of room to spare
mvimg_20190811_080441_253a3c5d29129fe627425955c4b6272a895e27b7.jpg

Last edited:
No fault of yours and I appreciate you collecting that data in a list. No need to propagate TireRacks error here, as this thread could be used by others in the future to ensure fitment.

TireRack, acknowledging that there is no industry standard procedure for measuring tread width, does their own measurements. Thus, when comparing tread width measurements, they should all come from TireRack to assure direct comparability.

From TireRack site (Tire Tech Info - Tread Width) (emphasis mine):

Unfortunately there isn't an industry standard that establishes a single procedure for how to measure tire tread widths. And since tire manufacturers can use different methods, their published tread widths would only be meaningful when compared to other tires measured the exact same way.

This makes it challenging to compare tread widths of one tire brand to another, and most tire manufacturers have simply chosen to eliminate tread width dimensions from their brochures and websites.

Because tread width is still a dimension of interest to our customers, Tire Rack has established a common measurement method to address this issue.

The Tire Rack tread width measurement tool helps us define how much of a rounded shoulder's over-the-horizon tread width should be included in the measurement. We use a 20" long tool made with square tube featuring a 30° bend in the middle. Centering this tool on top of the tread design helps us approximate how much of the tread will be in contact with the road when in service.

TR Tool with Round-Shoulder Tread

Measuring the tread width of rounded-shouldered tires is defined by centering our tool on top of the tread and measuring the distance from the outboard to inboard contact.
Once we know the points of contact, we then use a flexible flat steel ruler to measure between those two points. This tool can be used on tires with rounded shoulders, as well as those with square shoulders.

While Tire Rack tread width dimensions may differ slightly from those published by the few remaining tire manufacturers that still offer them, it will be applied universally.

So... I would suggest when comparing tire tread widths, one do so from a common source - either from entirely within a manufacturer's site or entirely within TireRack.

Just sayin'

HTH

Last edited:
My 2013 LC with stock wheels (60mm offset) and general grabber atx tires in 285/65r18 only rubbed on the passenger side kdss sway bar with the steering wheel locked and the vehicle moving. Hardly noticable but enough to polish the sway bar and remove the black paint. After switching wheels to 8.5x18 with 45mm offset i repainted the sway bar and there is still just the slightest rub, can't feel it but I do see a smaller nickle sized polished mark on the sway bar from the tire. with stock bumper I was rubbing the plastic fender liner pretty good. I think the atxs run large. At 42psi the tire measures nearly 32"(top to bottom) when mounted.

2020-06-13 13.16.14.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom