Builds Love at first sight FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So here is that box piece right before the rear bed, she was rusted right out.
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
So instead of making a box, I made 4 separate pieces to replicate the box. It looks like from factory they achieved this with only making two cuts.
IMG_1496.JPG

I would of never thought that I would buy an fj40, I always had plans of maybe some day getting myself a little 80's pickup. After golf one day I came upon a 1976 land cruiser parked in a field with a for sale sign in the window, I thought it was the coolest thing I ever did see. I hopped out of my 4Runner to check it out and take pictures, my wife could tell how awesome I thought it was. Couple days later I gave him a call and asked how much he is asking, the price scared me away a bit but I still knew I had to have it, i felt like this was my only chance to ever own one of these. A week later I talked to the owner again and he said he must of had close to 40 phone calls, that's when I withdrawn the money from my account and asked to take a second look. The fact that it actually ran and drove was just a bonus to me. The Now previous owner was so upset to sign the papers over, but he had too due to a farm full of vehicles and his wife over his shoulder. Long storey long, I absolutely love this thing and love tinkering with it and poking at the rust and envisioning what some day it can become!

View attachment 1308853

View attachment 1308855

View attachment 1308856
Nice find, looks great :steer:

This is my first time getting stuff powder coated, and holy s#*!. It's beautiful lol 40 years old and looks brand new! The bell housing, skid plate, battery mount, radiator shroud. I'll definitely powder coat what ever I can for now on :)
IMG_1503.JPG

So I ended up getting this far last night, everything was going great...
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
until I ran out of .024 wire, and that's when I remembered I have some .030 I bought before purchasing the welder.....but what really stopped me was the fact that the bigger wire does not fit through the copper tip now! Well I'll be prepared that doesn't happen again!:doh:
IMG_1507.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG

Here's my first attempt at doing rosette plug welds. I figured it was a good place to try it out. I found you had to hold the weld a little bit longer to penetrate to the steel underneath.
IMG_1511.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
I am damn near done this box piece, just have to clean up a couple welds. Then mate the fender to the box, that should only take 20 min tonight.
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG

There's no reason why you can't do the seats yourself.
Couple hundred buck's to get covers from cruiser corps....they come with a bag of hog rings.
Another couple bucks for new foam seat bottoms
A pair of angled hog ring pliers and you're in business.

It's really very simple.
The seat frames are dimpled for hog rings.
Strip a seat down to the frame and you'll see what's involved.

20151122_111909.jpg

20151125_151638.jpg

20161102_154909.jpg

20161102_155151.jpg

20151110_170209.jpg

Last edited:
Couple hundred buck's to get covers from cruiser corps....they come with a bag of hog rings.
Ahhh okay, well I'll get a quote and decide from there! Thanks

It's really very simple.
The seat frames are dimpled for hog rings.
Strip a seat down to the frame and you'll see what's involved.

View attachment 1455259

View attachment 1455260

View attachment 1455261

View attachment 1455262

View attachment 1455263
Okay.... so with my research, it's 309 US dollars from cruiser corps for the set of two seat covers. Which would come out to be 500 Canadian dollars shipped to my door in Canada....(exchange rate, duty, and shipping) and that's without any foam. So then I went and called 4wheelauto.com out of Edmonton, and they gave me a price of 800.:bang: Finally the last place I called was a local upholstery shop in my area, they would use their own material. The first price they gave us was 500 plus foam, well my father went down there and talked some magic(knows the owner apparently) and they came up with 400 cash and will be done within the month:).

Here's that same box piece but the driver side, as you can see I attempted at repairing it when I had that flux-core welder and less experience. I cut the seam out where it all connects, and like all the rest of the seams on this 40 it was very swollen with rust.
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG

Okay.... so with my research, it's 309 US dollars from cruiser corps for the set of two seat covers. Which would come out to be 500 Canadian dollars shipped to my door in Canada....(exchange rate, duty, and shipping) and that's without any foam. So then I went and called 4wheelauto.com out of Edmonton, and they gave me a price of 800.:bang: Finally the last place I called was a local upholstery shop in my area, they would use their own material. The first price they gave us was 500 plus foam, well my father went down there and talked some magic(knows the owner apparently) and they came up with 400 cash and will be done within the month:).

Sounds like a great deal. I've found that if you bring donuts when you drop them off, it will take half as long as they estimated.

I definitely should of just re-did the whole box piece.... but I got lazy and didn't feel like doing it. I already spent a bunch of time patching it up with the flux-core. I'll put more effort in on my next piece :cheers:
IMG_1600.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG

Sounds like a great deal. I've found that if you bring donuts when you drop them off, it will take half as long as they estimated.
Well I do have 2 months to spare.... but yes I guess donuts might encourage them to do a better job;)

:bounce2::clap:
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG
It's like Christmas opening these nicely wrapped packages lol anyways!! New radiator, water pump, hose kit, thermostat, weather stripping for all doors, and a engine repair manual.
IMG_1631.JPG

Shop around 4wheeldrive in Edm are a bit of a rip off. Lots of great vendors here man. As always hit me up i can steer yah in the right direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom