Builds Love at first sight FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shop around 4wheeldrive in Edm are a bit of a rip off. Lots of great vendors here man. As always hit me up i can steer yah in the right direction
I hear ya! Iv spent enough there that they help me out with prices. What's another Canadian company?

Now onto cleaning up these fenders, they are in terrible shape. I will patch what I can, but I may need to fab a whole top skin. We shall see!
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1621.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent learning curve and thank you for saving her!

Patch patch patch, here is the driver side fender at the back of 40. These fender supports sure took a toll on her, rusted through on every single one.
IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG
Since I got that mig welder, I already went through a 3 foot bottle of gas.

Since it's Friday!!!! Here's some pics of a little adventure I did before tearing it apart.
IMG_0742.JPG
I was by myself and got hung up in some deep ruts. Luckily I go nowhere without my trusty personal recovery gear(maxtraxx, hi-lift jack, shovel, and axe) I ended up using all of it except the axe.
IMG_0743.JPG
And had to yank this tree out of the way. This little trip to the valley was the last time I took her wheelin, she really started to smoke on the way home.
Anyways have a good long weekend!:beer:
IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG
I learn more every time, after each tack I take a look on the back side to see my penetration. It saved time once it came to grind it all down because I didn't have to add any extra weld to fill holes.
IMG_1656.JPG
Any which way, good enough for now.
IMG_1672.JPG

wow, you're a doing an amazing job! Now I want to do that my fj40! subscribed!
Thanks! I just read everyone's build threads to get an idea, and then hours and hours of research. These 40's are fairly simple once you start tearing them apart.

Thanks to davework at overland metric for this 1000 piece bolt kit! I definitely could of pieced together this kit myself at work but instead of needing 10 different wrenches it would be nice to only need 3 to 5.
IMG_1680.JPG
also just got this rebuild kit for the emergency drum brake, pads were shot and full of rust inside. Will hopefully powder coat the drum too.
IMG_1682.JPG

Okayyyy that's the last of the wheel well sides. Next up is the rear sill, and while doing the sill I'll be tackling the wheel well top skins at the same time. Time for s*** to get a little more tricky:worms:
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG

Whats your plan for quarter panels? I have a set of new ones from cruiser corps i might be will to part with.

I some how got lucky enough to have the afternoon off! Well my dad and I got right into her, after humming and hawing for A few months trying to get some kind of plan for the rear sill. Well we felt confident Enough to take a stab at it.
IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG
We took lots of time to line up and get where we want it.
IMG_1709.JPG
Finally we were pleased, and i made six tacks for now to hold it in place. I can weld the rest of it on my own time.
IMG_1711.JPG

TOPS OFF ON THIS BEAUTIFUL DAY! Well not like I can drive it or anything :steer:
First time taking it off since Iv owned it, the weather stripping is definitely shot now.
IMG_1715.JPG
We will be replacing the side channels that connect to the sill also.
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG

Right after supper I was able to get back in the garage and finish filling in these rosette plug welds.
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG
and instead of doing plug welds on the top, I just ran a solid bead along the edge.
IMG_1728.JPG
and yes I know this rear sill is not like the rest.... but this is what I got sold, it will sufffice.
IMG_1729.JPG

Had a fellow mudder come and deliver these quarter panels! It's nice to see what a complete 40 looks like :steer:. This diesel sure has a nice sound to her, I like it. Thanks for saving me lots of time @Varty Yo
IMG_1762.JPG
Now since I have these quarters I could be done all the steel work very soon! I'm still aiming for august 1st to be driving her......
IMG_1767.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom